• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Moderators

That is about the most unprofessional newsletter I've ever read. It's pretty hypocritical to accuse other organizations of utilizing interns as slave labor and then ask for free laborers yourself. (It'd also be a good idea not to insult your intended helpers by calling grown women 'girls'.)

He actually endorses The Shack now? Wow.

• Members

Hovind was good for entertaining the sheep. Don't get me wrong, a lot of his information is good; however, having seen him twice in two churches and having watched several of his videos in the past, my take-away from it was that he was a good entertainer for people who already believed in Creationism, but he wasn't...so...good for winning people over who didn't believe. He has always had a mocking spirit about him, always had a few strange beliefs, and always had a few conspiracy quirks...which is sad, because he really does have the ability to do great things. After seeing him twice, I lost interest in his work and turned my attention toward the Institute for Creation Research for that type of information. Then after hearing about his "changes" in prison (from his own words) and watching just a few of his post-prison videos...well...this might sound petty on my part, but he lost me completely when I saw a video; in which, he was asking for donations to help pay for his wedding.

I will now leave this bus stop before I've completely thrown him under the next motor coach.

• Members

He's a brother, who at one time stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us in the trenches. Yes, the enemy got to him, just as he could get to any one of us one day, and Hovind is now apparently another casualty of this horrible spiritual war we all fight to the bitter end. But let us be careful lest we be guilty of calously, self-righteously putting a bullet in the head of our own wounded comrade. But for the grace of God, there stand I.

• Members
23 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

He's a brother, who at one time stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us in the trenches. Yes, the enemy got to him, just as he could get to any one of us one day, and Hovind is now apparently another casualty of this horrible spiritual war we all fight to the bitter end. But let us be careful lest we be guilty of calously, self-righteously putting a bullet in the head of our own wounded comrade. But for the grace of God, there stand I.

If my post offended you, I apologize. Perhaps it was callous in its concept; however, I chose what I thought was a humorous way to show that I have withdrawn myself from someone who is unsound in their doctrine and in whom I have no trust. He mocks unbelievers; he also mocks believers who try to sincerely question him about his beliefs and/or changes in his beliefs. He brings shame upon the name of Christ in his approach and demeanor...he always has.  He has chosen to publicly do this.

However, I see your point. Whether he is a casualty...I'm not really sure about that. I think he has always been unsound in some areas...but that's me. He got a pass, because he was entertaining to us, offered some good information, uses the King James, and claimed to be Independent Baptist...even though he would do his shows in any type of church...including SDA churches...and that was before he was imprisoned. I look at it as he has finally publicly become what he has always been.

Still, I too, have brought shame upon the name of Christ with my poor choice of what I thought to be innocent and humorous. As I said in another thread, I often find my foot in my mouth instead of on the floor.

I pray the Lord will forgive me, I pray you will forgive me, I pray any readers will forgive me, and I pray Hovind will forgive me.

• Members

His divorce, subsequent remarriage nary a few months later, and then recently leading "church services" at the DAL over youtube was the thing that did it for me in deciding to part ways with him and his ministry. I'm not going to stand in condemnation of him and I'll let him "plow his row" for Christ and I'll "plow my row" for Christ, as he likes to say, but I'm not going to help him to do it by defending, promoting or participating in his ministry anymore.

Edited by John Young

• Members

He has changed his position of eschatology. He believes now the church will go through the Great Tribulation. Actually, at times it sounds like he believes it's already going on. This ties into his egomania in that he thinks because he was in jail that was a sign that the "beginning of sorrows" was taken place (Rev. 2:10). 

He came to my church one time to speak for a whole week, at the local college to. He can come across as very arrogant and dismissive in his lectures.

• Members

It seems to me his Mid-trib position came about as a result of his prison ordeal. Some Pre-trib believers hold to the false idea that they and "the church" won't endure ANY tribulation and then when they do endure persecution for the cause of Christ they try to find a reason for it and flip to the other extreme, believing Israel's tribulation is actually for them and "the church". In so doing they grasp at historically Catholic doctrines to formulate their own.