• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gardening Section: Yea or Nay?

gardening Section: Yea or Nay?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a new section just for gardening and it's related content?

2. 2. What sub sections would you like to see in the gardening section?

• Vegetables, Fruits & Herbs
    • Flowers
    • Beekeeping
    • Soil & Amendments
    • Canning & Preservation
    • Other (please explain in a post)

• Members

This is my first poll, so I hope I did it right.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how people would respond to a gardening section on the OB

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
2 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I voted, and it appears to be working great. Good job!

One question...I also voted for "Soil and amendments". Would fertilization fall under "amendments"? I would be interested in hearing what others use to fertilize with and how they incorporate it.

Thanks for voting!  Yes, fertilization would fall under amendments.  If you bury your firearms, that would be the second amendment (bwaa haa!).  Composting, mineral dust and things like that would also fall into that category.

• Members

I voted yes and included checks for Vegetables, etc. and Soil & Amendments. I would like to know/see if folks have used these home soil testers. Also, the wife and I are seriously considering a raised garden...backs are getting older and don't stoop as well as in the past. I think its a great idea you never know when the Fed. might begin cracking down on Christians.

I should have checked Canning and preservation too. I'm interested in hearing thoughts about 'freeze-drying.'

33 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I think I'll be okay as long as they're not loaded (when I bury them) and don't use ammonium nitrate to fertilize them...

56 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

If you bury your firearms, that would be the second amendment (bwaa haa!).  

Then a category for proper lubrication and storage containers may be appropriate.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Alan said:

Beekeeping is what I'm interested in.

I've been studying up on it for a while now and I hope to start my first hive this year.  Like anything that has to do with working directly with God's creation, one has to sift through quite a bit of hippy-dippy info/people to get information.

Here is a fellow who is a bit kooky, but he really knows what he's talking about.  He uses the top bar hive method: Les Crowder talks about Top Bar Hives.

• Members

Thank you. I looked at part of the video  and will look at more when I have time.

I had one bee hive (long ago), but, due to excessive spraying in the area the bees died. Excessive spraying is common everywhere we live. Coupled with other problems; I have not re-started with any new hives as yet.

• Members
7 hours ago, Alan said:

Thank you. I looked at part of the video  and will look at more when I have time.

I had one bee hive (long ago), but, due to excessive spraying in the area the bees died. Excessive spraying is common everywhere we live. Coupled with other problems; I have not re-started with any new hives as yet.

Yes, spraying is one of the things that contributes to what they are calling Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) amongst bees.  They either die directly from the pesticides or the chemicals interfere with their orientation and they can't find their ways back to their hives.  Many experts also claim that the increased presence of cellular signals also interferes with their orientation.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Does anyone believe that talking to their plants/trees helps them produce?

Are you kidding me?  Has someone been reading The Secret Life of Plants?

• Members
14 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Only if they have ears. :15_1_63:

So it works with corn?

2 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I don't know but Prince Charles speaks to his plants.

Prince Charles is hardly worthy of consideration on very many subjects.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Only if they have ears. :15_1_63:

Fish don't have ears but they hear each other

3 minutes ago, DaveW said:

So it works with corn?

Prince Charles is hardly worthy of consideration on very many subjects.

That is true.