• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Internal Server Error

• Members

While attempting to post a response in a thread from a few months back, I received the following error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@onlinebaptist.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

?????????????????????????????????????????

• Members

Well, I was able to solve my problem through a "backdoor" method.

Last night I considered the possibility that my posting was simply viewed as "too long" (surprise, surprise), and that there might now be some type of "length limiter" on postings . . . ???  (Note: My posting was not longer than I have posted in the past, but was actually shorter than some.)  So I first did a one line test (copy and paste from Microsoft Word), and it worked.  Then I tried the whole posting again, and again received the error message.  So then, I divided my posting in half; but I still received the error message.  Yet not to be so easily deterred, I tried one more time by dividing my posting into thirds; and IT WORKED (yipeee).  The ironic thing is that my three postings were then automatically merged (as the forum now does), so as to create the original longer posting.

Now then, IF the problem really is a "length limiter" on postings, THEN my engagement as a poster on the forum, particularly for deeper Bible study matters, is going to become significantly more difficult (and ? annoying ?).

• Members

Well, now I have encountered a different (yet, I believe, related) problem.  The forum will not allow me to edit that "long" posting about which I made reference above.  I noticed a typographical error in a quotation from Scripture in that posting.  I then attempted to do an edit of the posting, yet the forum gave me an error warning (something about too much time having elapsed for such an edit, while it is still the SAME DAY wherein I made the posting).  So, I a attempted just a moment ago to edit my "test" posting; and I was permitted to do so.  At present, it would appear to me that I cannot edit the "long" posting for the same reason that I could not post it as a whole unit originally.

I must declare -- It will become quite annoying for me if I am unable to edit spelling and grammatical errors in my postings, especially if those error are in Bible quotations.

• Members

When things like this happen you might try a different browser or try clearing your browser cache..  In really bad situations you might have to clear your Online Baptist cookies. That is why I recommend trying a different browser first (just as a test to confirm it's not your web browser)

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Well, now I have encountered a different (yet, I believe, related) problem.  The forum will not allow me to edit that "long" posting about which I made reference above.  I noticed a typographical error in a quotation from Scripture in that posting.  I then attempted to do an edit of the posting, yet the forum gave me an error warning (something about too much time having elapsed for such an edit, while it is still the SAME DAY wherein I made the posting).  So, I a attempted just a moment ago to edit my "test" posting; and I was permitted to do so.  At present, it would appear to me that I cannot edit the "long" posting for the same reason that I could not post it as a whole unit originally.

I must declare -- It will become quite annoying for me if I am unable to edit spelling and grammatical errors in my postings, especially if those error are in Bible quotations.

I am too new at being an administrator to know the answer to the problem of not being able to edit a post. Perhaps broMatt will see this and address it Bro. Scott.

• Members

In all sincerity, 1611mac's advice is sound. Whenever having issues like this, the first things to check would be...

1. Is your browser up to date. Do you have the latest release of said browser?
  2. Have you cleared your cookies and cache of said browser?

Look at it like this...a web browser is like a car; in that, it takes some upkeep to keep it running well. Over time, you build up a lot of gunk in your browser, and if you don't change the oil (cookies and cache), it can cause problems.