• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gardening Section for OB?

• Members
55 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

OK, Bro. Matt has tentatively given his blessing to a garden forum. I am going to go ahead and put one up, but need some input from members. I need a general name for the forum that will indicate a general idea of what the forum is about. I can do this two ways. I can create a general forum with sub-forums under it, which takes up board space and some sub-forums may not get much use.

Or I can create a general forum with a descriptive name and let the threads within that forum define the subjects, something like The Lounge is set up now.

I have church this morning and want to start work on the new forum this evening. But I want to ask those that are interested in this new forum to help with a descriptive name for the forum that will show on the main board page. In this respect, what would members think of the name "Homesteading?" Or "Self Sufficiency?" I suggest this because if you do a search online for a definition of those names, you will see that they encompass just about everything that could be discussed. Because of the topics a forum like this would generate, it might be better to just name the forum and let the subjects define themselves instead of having sub-forums.

Suggestions?  :15_8_3:

Thank you for taking the time to do this, brother.  I agree that a general forum without sub categories would be best.  I cast my vote for it to be called, "Homesteading." The less work for you the better. :)

If you include a description beneath the forum name, you might include any of these subjects: Gardening, Beekeeping, Canning, Husbandry, Hunting, Fishing &c.

• Administrators

Good suggestions Bro. Stafford, I'll consider them. I would like to get some input from others who were interested in this kind of forum. But even if I don't get any more input by this evening I will start on it and make changes if need be.

• Members

I think Homesteading may exclude those who have a pocket handkerchief garden.  I have quite a small vegetable plot about 4yards by 10. 

My garden gets overegrown with weeds very quickly and I cannot do a lot of bending these days so I have grown my winter lettuces and greens through black plastic weed supressing membrane, the sort that lets through the rain but keeps the light out.  So far they have done very well. I get used mushroom comost from the garden centre and spread that under the plastic.  I put plastic cloches over the crops.

• Administrators

Thank you Rebecca, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Invicta, I had a very narrow view of Homesteading until I looked at a definition of it. It seems like the more modern definitions would include even small stuff like what you described. I had always considered Homesteading as living in the wild, far from civilization, but today's definitions allow for a much more diversified lifestyle.

It can also include things like alternative energy, woodworking, wild food gathering, crafts and such.  :think_smiley_50: