• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:53 PM, HappyChristian said:

I've also heard Briders (yes, it's a very real word) claim that, while Baptists will be the only ones in the Bride, we don't know WHICH Baptists. So we can't be sure if we will be part of the Bride.

Proof that we can, indeed, make dumb statements part of our doctrine if we aren't careful.

That's some security there.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:12 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

This whole Baptist Brider thing is a non-issue for me. In fact I had never even heard the word, "Brider" until joining OB. I am not sure it is even a word.

I do however have to wonder why this would even be an issue among Baptists. If you are a Baptist and firmly believe that only Baptists are the bride, what is the problem? You are in the bride.

But if you are not a Baptist, the so-called Baptist Brider" issue serves no other purpose than a point of contention and an issue to argue over.

Of one thing I am sure, The Lord knows who the bride is.

Jim.. I would point out that there are practical implications of any false teaching... including Briders.  About three years ago I was involved in a good church that was began a slide into Briderism though they would deny it. But their teaching was basically that if you are not part of "the true baptist line" then you are not legitimate.  This teaching crept into sermons and teaching each and every Sunday and Wed.  They were "beating the Brider drum" every time we got together.  When I spoke to the pastor about it I was branded more or less an "outcast" and though not disciplined, I found myself not teaching or preaching (backing up the pastor)  any longer, and being shoved out.  That was fine as my wife and I had already decided to leave the church. 

These things do affect people in real ways. These "minor" things affect ones walk with Christ.  It is not a small thing.  It affected my life in a big way for over a year.  In some ways the issue still "follows me."  These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Edited by 1611mac

I would agree that there are practical implications to any false teaching, I guess that my mind just works in a simple manner that does not adjust easily to blurring the lines between words, phrases and definitions that I have always taken to mean one thing, only to find out at this late date in life that others have used these things to teach something entirely different.

If I may illustrate what I mean by taking text from your reply it may help to explain my thought lines. You said this: "But their teaching was basically that if you are not part of "the true baptist line" then you are not legitimate". Now, if I am understanding the "brider" issue correctly, if I hold to this premise it would automatically put me in the "brider" camp regardless of whether I identify as a "brider" or not.

My simple mind would never connect the two things unless some person made an issue of it. And this may add to my dilemma, I see the legitimacy of a true Independent Baptist Church as entirely separate from anything to do with "the bride".

To me the lines get blurred when two different subjects or even doctrines are merged into one in an attempt to espouse a "pet theory" and teach it to others.

One "for instance" that may help to explain my thought line is this: I hold to a position of the "one true church" as taught by scripture as being of  like faith and order as we see in scripture. For instance, I would not consider a Pentacostal, or any Protestant so-called "church" as legitimate. But I see this as a distinctly different subject from the Bride of Christ.

Just because I believe that there is a true church, does not, to my mind make me a Baptist Brider. The thought would never have entered my mind without reading or hearing the teaching.

This is why I said in my first reply that this was a non-issue for me, simply because I had never been exposed to it. If this became an issue in my church, or affected other Baptists that we fellowship with, then I would certainly oppose it.

43 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I would agree that there are practical implications to any false teaching, I guess that my mind just works in a simple manner that does not adjust easily to blurring the lines between words, phrases and definitions that I have always taken to mean one thing, only to find out at this late date in life that others have used these things to teach something entirely different.

If I may illustrate what I mean by taking text from your reply it may help to explain my thought lines. You said this: "But their teaching was basically that if you are not part of "the true baptist line" then you are not legitimate". Now, if I am understanding the "brider" issue correctly, if I hold to this premise it would automatically put me in the "brider" camp regardless of whether I identify as a "brider" or not.

My simple mind would never connect the two things unless some person made an issue of it. And this may add to my dilemma, I see the legitimacy of a true Independent Baptist Church as entirely separate from anything to do with "the bride".

To me the lines get blurred when two different subjects or even doctrines are merged into one in an attempt to espouse a "pet theory" and teach it to others.

One "for instance" that may help to explain my thought line is this: I hold to a position of the "one true church" as taught by scripture as being of  like faith and order as we see in scripture. For instance, I would not consider a Pentacostal, or any Protestant so-called "church" as legitimate. But I see this as a distinctly different subject from the Bride of Christ.

Just because I believe that there is a true church, does not, to my mind make me a Baptist Brider. The thought would never have entered my mind without reading or hearing the teaching.

This is why I said in my first reply that this was a non-issue for me, simply because I had never been exposed to it. If this became an issue in my church, or affected other Baptists that we fellowship with, then I would certainly oppose it.

Hi Jim.. there's some deep stuff there... I see nothing that I really disagree with (I don't think.)  I was only trying to say that for some, Briderism may be a non-issue (and praise the Lord for that) but for someone else it may be a big issue.  That's all.... that we can't simply say that any issue is "no big deal".  You are right though... as they say.. "You don't know what you don't know."  I am amazed at some of the things I have  been exposed to in my church life.  And until I was exposed to them I didn't even know they existed!  "Hyper-Grace" - "Local Church Only" - "Briderism" - etc....   Thanks Jim.!

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Jim, thank you for taking the time to explain this. I truly appreciate it.

7 minutes ago, 1611mac said:

I am amazed at some of the things I have  been exposed to in my church life.  And until I was exposed to them I didn't even existed! 

Amen to that! The internet provided even more "surprises" for me. Many times, I miss the days when I was ignorant of a lot of things...

2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Bro. Jim, thank you for taking the time to explain this. I truly appreciate it.

Amen to that! The internet provided even more "surprises" for me. Many times, I miss the days when I was ignorant of a lot of things...

This is exactly where I am at NN. Living n Alaska for 43 years and being ignorant of all these changes makes me miss the "good old days".

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

?

Is this in response to what I wrote, or is it separate? 

Here's the college that I referred to ....

http://www.biblecollegevideos.com/

Sorry NN. I missed your post entirely. Yes, this is the same bunch.

14 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Sorry NN. I missed your post entirely. Yes, this is the same bunch.

Not sure what happened. They used to be in the state of Washington (I think). Now they're in Texas. Not sure why they moved...but even more puzzling to me is that it appears as if the entire church moved? I don't know.

10 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Not sure what happened. They used to be in the state of Washington (I think). Now they're in Texas. Not sure why they moved...but even more puzzling to me is that it appears as if the entire church moved? I don't know.

That is strange? It makes me think of Koresh.

The trail of blood book is generally accurate but not very detailed. There are other books that expand on its history like The Battle for Baptist History by I.k.cross or My Church by J.M.Moody

On 3/8/2017 at 9:37 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

I attend this school. They pastor in charge started a church plant in Texas. The church is still in Washington. I love taking the classes and it is a very Biblical sound school.

Edited by MatthewDiscipleOfGod