• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Book preview

• Members

I have debated on whether to share one of my passions with the readers here in the forum.  I have written this introduction a couple of times and then deleted it and even now not sure I will post it. 

My belief that Historical Baptists are the final line of defense in the preservation of historical Christianity is not born of love for Baptist preachers and Baptist institutions, my passion comes from being a student of Baptist History.  I am not claiming (now would I ever do so) to be an expert on our Baptist history but I have read and studied it much and am convinced that the distinctives we hold as Historic Baptists are the same distinctives that Christ taught to His disciples. 

Because of my passion in this area, a few months ago I began to diligently research our Baptist history for quotes, comments, bible passages, sermons etc. that link our Baptist distinctives to our history.  I do not have a title for the finished work and I suspect my research will take much more time that the actual writing but the purpose will be to provide a book that can be used in our colleges and be promoted in our churches as being distinctly Baptist (which may be a good name for the finished work.)  With this end in mind I want to post excerpts from my writings for your consideration and comments. 

Obviously, what I present has not been proof read for sentence structure or grammar it is simply a rough draft if you will.

The attached excerpt is from chapter one and I would appreciated it not being copied until the final transcript is finished. 

Baptist Distinctives 001 Revised.docx

Edited by Orval
grammar

• Members

Orval,

Excellent. I appreciate your work and want to encourage your effort.

Orval wrote, "The Protestants are doing the same thing with our Baptist heritage. They are slowly rewriting our history, moving our landmarks and stealing our heritage and when they are finished our line of faith and practice will topple if we do not fight for our heritage.

The great Baptist preacher Charles Spurgeon (in referencing the nature of Baptist history) refuted those who were claiming that Baptists came out of the Reformation of the Catholic Church.  He wrote, “We care very little for the historical argument, but if there be anything in it at all, the plea ought not be filched (stolen my italics) by the clients of Rome (the reformists my italics), but should be left to that community who all along has held to one Lord, One faith and one Baptism” … It would not be impossible to show that the first Christians who lived in the land were of the same faith and order as the same church that is now called Baptist.  The time will arrive when history will be rewritten.” 

Almost prophetically, Spurgeon understood that the false claim that Baptists began with the Reformation would ultimately lead to our history being rewritten.  As Baptists, we must determine if we are going to allow our roots to be severed or stand for our heritage and reclaim our landmarks.  The waves of popular protestant history will carry historical Baptists to destruction if we allow Protestants to continue to rewrite our history unopposed.  We must anchor ourselves to doctrines and teaching of the Word of God and the examples of our historic Baptist forefathers."

That is entirely correct. The denominations of this world, and the compromisers of the faith, are re-writing the history of the New Testament church. Our faith comes from the scriptures, and our hertitage comes from the Lord Jesus, our baptism from John the Baptist, and the epistles of the Apostles. The Roman Catholic Church, the Reformers, the compromises, the denominational headquarters of the religious crowd, are trying to undermine true New Testament church history.

Orval,

I have only two thoughts that I would like for to consider as you proceed in your work.

1. In the first paragraph you have the illustration of knights and dragons as literature. I think it may be better if you had a true historical figure (maybe a Baptist leader or martyr), as an illustration instead of a fantasy illustration.

2. Our Baptist heritage is not only being re-written by the Protestant Movement, but it is being destroyed by disgruntled brethren, and false brethren with false doctines infiltrating the IFB churches. This includes; a-millenialism (disguised as preterism), anti-Semitcism (disguised as Replacement Theology), the hatred of good books by Spirit led men (The Old Scofield Reference Bible, Clarence Larkin, Sword of the Lord, Oliver B. Greene, etc...). The internet is full of disgruntled, and false brethren, who are internet theologians with a personal vendeta against IFB pastors, IFB churches, evangelists and missionaires.

I would like to encourage you in your project, "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." 2 Thessalonians 2:16 Keep up the good work.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Orval, it is very well written. Please do continue it.

However, if you will forgive me ...? I do have to agree with Alan in that the original illustration regarding fantasy literature somehow struck a discordant note not  in harmony with the tone of the rest of the writing.

The subject is timely and needful, I strongly encourage you in it.

• Members
On 28/02/2017 at 10:41 PM, Alan said:

The great Baptist preacher Charles Spurgeon (in referencing the nature of Baptist history) refuted those who were claiming that Baptists came out of the Reformation of the Catholic Church.  He wrote, “We care very little for the historical argument, but if there be anything in it at all, the plea ought not be filched (stolen my italics) by the clients of Rome (the reformists my italics), but should be left to that community who all along has held to one Lord, One faith and one Baptism” …

It would be helpful if you could give a reference where Spurgeon said this.  Not  saying that he didn't say that, but we should always be able to look up quotes. For instance, a former pastor I know sai that Spurgeon was in favour of celebrating Christmas but in his Treasury Of David commenting on Psalm 81, he said someting completely different.

Edited by Invicta
Christmas, not Easter

• Members

To those who have commented, I so very much appreciate not only your well wishes but your comments and suggestions.  Thank you for taking your precious time to read this short excerpt.  I shall go back and give reference information for Spurgeon as it was simply an oversight.

• Members

Here is the source of Spurgeon's quote;  

Baptist Church Perpetuity: Or, the Continuous Existence of Baptist Churches from the Apostolic to the present day demonstrated by the Bible and by History ... By Willis Anselm Jarrel  Published by the author, Dallas Texas 1894 Pg 40.  Originally written by Spurgeon in The Metropolitan Tabernacle; its history and work.  Pussenere F. Alabusler  1876, pg 9

Hope this helps clarify.

6 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Orval, have you read any of James Beller's work? Before he went to glory, he wrote quite a bit on Baptist history here in America. Looking forward to your finished product!

Happy, the author does not strike a chord with me but I will remedy that and look him up tomorrow.  Thanks for the kind words.

2 hours ago, 1611mac said:

Best wishes on your work...  Let me know if you need eBooks done. I do pdfs, mobi's, (Kindle), and epubs.  

Thank you for the info I will hang on to it.  As you are well aware the preparation to write a few pages can be exhausting research wise.

• Members
On 01/03/2017 at 1:49 AM, Orval said:

Here is the source of Spurgeon's quote;  

Baptist Church Perpetuity: Or, the Continuous Existence of Baptist Churches from the Apostolic to the present day demonstrated by the Bible and by History ... By Willis Anselm Jarrel  Published by the author, Dallas Texas 1894 Pg 40.  Originally written by Spurgeon in The Metropolitan Tabernacle; its history and work.  Pussenere F. Alabusler  1876, pg 9

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks Orval.