• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

IFB Books/Authors

• Members

Wondering if the members here have ever tried to make a list of IFB authors/book?  There are a great number of books published by local churches and simple men of God who are serving faithfully in their church/ministry.  Would it be possible to compile a list without getting into debate?  There is an acknowledged problem as there are in fact many IFB authors that shouldn't be on a list. How to moderate such a list?  But I would like to learn about good books that are not found in the mainstream.  

What say ye? Not possible?

• Members

I think it is possible to create some kind of list, but not without at least discussions about entries with probable debate arising from such discussions.  As long as debates are civil and concise, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Perhaps that could be an intentional part of creating the list.  If you're serious about making a list, what if there was a systematic process that a book had to go through?  Someone suggests a title and then it is reviewed and vetted and voted upon before making the list?  Perhaps some of them would have caveats attached to them.  Perhaps there could be a pros and cons attached to them as well.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head.  I just don't think it's possible to compile a list of IFB books without discussion/debate.  There are certain issues upon which some members disagree.  For example, some members here believe that divorce and/or remarriage is never acceptable, while other members believe there are biblically supported allowances for them.  If a book author expressed support for one view, members who disagree would want a caveat attached to the book or may not want the book included at all.  Some members are fans of Ruckman and Riplinger and others are opposed to them.

I would like to see a list; especially one for new Christians, but it would be an interesting and worthy challenge to create one.

• Members

As I said.. one of my interests is the "un-knowns" and thus, debate on them would be small to none.  I mentioned in another thread that I once operated an online bookstore.  I was amazed at the number of sample pamphlets and books I received from "unknown" men and ladies (for ladies books).

I can speak from experience, when you start selling/listing books it's a touchy subject.  But how in the world do you know what people believe if you don't read them.  And their own words are best at rebutting them.  People assume that if you have a list, you are recommending what is on the list.  That is not always true.  On the other hand, you don't want to introduce anyone to false doctrine either.  

• Members
19 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

I think it is possible to create some kind of list, but not without at least discussions about entries with probable debate arising from such discussions.  As long as debates are civil and concise, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Perhaps that could be an intentional part of creating the list.  If you're serious about making a list, what if there was a systematic process that a book had to go through?  Someone suggests a title and then it is reviewed and vetted and voted upon before making the list?  Perhaps some of them would have caveats attached to them.  Perhaps there could be a pros and cons attached to them as well.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head.  I just don't think it's possible to compile a list of IFB books without discussion/debate.  There are certain issues upon which some members disagree.  For example, some members here believe that divorce and/or remarriage is never acceptable, while other members believe there are biblically supported allowances for them.  If a book author expressed support for one view, members who disagree would want a caveat attached to the book or may not want the book included at all.  Some members are fans of Ruckman and Riplinger and others are opposed to them.

I would like to see a list; especially one for new Christians, but it would be an interesting and worthy challenge to create one.

I would agree that it would be difficult to compile such a list, especially since (I believe) it would require the list compiler(s) actually to read the books in question (yes?). 

Indeed, among Independent Baptists there ARE various differences of position on various details of doctrine, so (as you mentioned) while some may appreciate one book or authors, others would disapprove (and maybe even separate).  Furthermore, I would think that there would be differences of opinion as to the value of a book based upon "shallowness" of a book versus the Biblical depth of a book, or also of the quality in writing of the book versus the difficulty of comprehension.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I would agree that it would be difficult to compile such a list, especially since (I believe) it would require the list compiler(s) actually to read the books in question (yes?). 

Indeed, among Independent Baptists there ARE various differences of position on various details of doctrine, so (as you mentioned) while some may appreciate one book or authors, others would disapprove (and maybe even separate).  Furthermore, I would think that there would be differences of opinion as to the value of a book based upon "shallowness" of a book versus the Biblical depth of a book, or also of the quality in writing of the book versus the difficulty of comprehension.

The list would not be an "approved" type of list.  Simply a list of material written by XXXXX who claims to be IFB and the subject is XXXX.  It would be up to readers to investigate the authors position and up to them whether they were interested or not.  Again, if you are studying a movement or a teaching or a man you must read the "junk" to know what they teach.  

I guess not a good idea because even if you put a warning on the list ( such as "THESE BOOKS/AUTHORS ARE NOT BEING RECOMMENDED... THEY ARE FOR RESEARCH.  YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY FIND FALSE TEACHING HERE) people would blast you saying you are recommending junk.

• Members
45 minutes ago, 1611mac said:

The list would not be an "approved" type of list.  Simply a list of material written by XXXXX who claims to be IFB and the subject is XXXX.  It would be up to readers to investigate the authors position and up to them whether they were interested or not.  Again, if you are studying a movement or a teaching or a man you must read the "junk" to know what they teach.  

I guess not a good idea because even if you put a warning on the list ( such as "THESE BOOKS/AUTHORS ARE NOT BEING RECOMMENDED... THEY ARE FOR RESEARCH.  YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY FIND FALSE TEACHING HERE) people would blast you saying you are recommending junk.

Personally, I think that it IS a good idea.  Hoooowwwver . . . I certainly do see how easily such a list could create controversy (and even separation) against the list compiler(s).  Independent Baptists do tend to be a veeeeery "separational" group (sometimes, in my opinion, too quick to separate and isolate - although I myself DO hold strongly unto the doctrine of separation).

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members

I believe I have heard the proverb "one man's junk is another mans treasure".  At the risk of being "flamed" I might add that all truth is God's truth and in my course of life I have found that even those I disagree with can be the conduit to a truth and therefore can alter ones direction in life.  Don't be fearful of promoting a book, it is up to the reader to determine if it is helpful or not.  As to IFB writers there are few but they are out there.  I like the idea and am always willing to read a new author who some else trusts.  I have no one to place on the list but would enjoy reading the comments.  

I would also suggest that those placing books on the list give a brief overview of their thoughts on the book and why they found it good, bad or indifferent.

• Members

The most life-changing, ministry-altering 2 books I have ever read were not written by IFB authors. "The Lotus and the Cross" and "A Tale of Three Kings". The two greatest practicle books on Biblical missions methodology that I have ever read were actually written by an Assembly of God missionary, of all things!  I think we would do ourselves a sad and grave disservice if we were to limit our growth and maturing to only what we can find among approved IFB authors. Whatever doctrine and fire and sword and blood and war I have in my ministry today I got from the IFB brethren. Whatever grace and patience and humility I have witnessed and learned from others by Godly example, I sadly all-to-often had to get from somewhere else.

Not wanting any contention, just making a thoughtful observation on the side.

• Members
34 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

The most life-changing, ministry-altering 2 books I have ever read were not written by IFB authors. "The Lotus and the Cross" and "A Tale of Three Kings". The two greatest practicle books on Biblical missions methodology that I have ever read were actually written by an Assembly of God missionary, of all things!  I think we would do ourselves a sad and grave disservice if we were to limit our growth and maturing to only what we can find among approved IFB authors. Whatever doctrine and fire and sword and blood and war I have in my ministry today I got from the IFB brethren. Whatever grace and patience and humility I have witnessed and learned from others by Godly example, I sadly all-to-often had to get from somewhere else.

Not wanting any contention, just making a thoughtful observation on the side.

Oh, I myself am NOT at all against reading authors who were or are not Independent Baptist.  One of the authors who has been most beneficial for me concerning the Spirit-filled, Christ-abiding life is Andrew Murray; yet he most certainly was NOT Independent Baptist.  The most beneficial author whom I have read concerning the matter of prayer is E. M. Bounds, yet he was not Independent Baptist.  The writings of John Whitcomb and Henry Morris have been very helpful for me concerning matters of "Bible & science," yet I do not believe that either of them are (were?) Independent Baptist.  I could go on with names such as Alfred Edersheim, James Strong, John Burgon, Hudson Taylor, George Muller, David Brainerd, Jonathan & Rosalind Goforth, A. W. Tozer, R. A. Torrey, etc.; but I think that you can get the picture.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
11 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Oh, I myself am NOT at all against reading authors who were or are not Independent Baptist.  One of the authors who has been most beneficial for me concerning the Spirit-filled, Christ-abiding life is Andrew Murray; yet he most certainly was NOT Independent Baptist.  The most beneficial author whom I have read concerning the matter of prayer is E. M. Bounds, yet he was not Independent Baptist.  The writings of John Whitcomb and Henry Morris have been very helpful for me concerning matters of "Bible & science," yet I do not believe that either of them are (were?) Independent Baptist.  I could go on with names such as Alfred Edersheim, James Strong, John Burgon, Hudson Taylor, George Muller, David Brainerd, Jonathan & Rosalind Goforth, A. W. Tozer, R. A. Torrey, etc.; but I think that you can get the picture.

I agree!  Wondering if a Wiki could be done for this.....

Edited by 1611mac
added link to "wiki"

• Members

As a side issue to this, one thing that annoys me is that most authors are very coy about their associations.

If you know that this author is a Presby, then you can be aware of his viewpoint and therefore why he says certain things.

It helps for discernment to know that background.

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

As a side issue to this, one thing that annoys me is that most authors are very coy about their associations.

If you know that this author is a Presby, then you can be aware of his viewpoint and therefore why he says certain things.

It helps for discernment to know that background.

Indeed.  I myself tend (not strictly) toward authors from the past, whereof it is easier to learn their "associations."