• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Faith Alone and Matthew 25

• Members

So I have been convinced by the Bible that ONLY Jesus can save us from sins, not rosaries I used to say or indulgences or Mary's intercessory graces or submitting to the Pope. Only JESUS saves us. It follows, then, that we CANNOT earn our own salvation. We can do no works to get ourselves saved. In fact, Jesus says that whoever believes will be saved. 

AND YET...

In Matthew 25, where the sheep are separated from the goats, Christ judges by who feed the hungry, clothed the naked, gave drink to the thirsty, ect. I.E. who performed works and who didn't. Faith isn't even mentioned. 

Why this apparent contradiction? 

-isaac

• Members

Ialsop,

There is no contradiction of the scriptures that tells us that salvation is by grace, through faith in Christ as our Savior, and the passage in Matthew 25:31-46

Let me give one example.

Concerning the eternal salvation of the soul, the Apostle Paul stated, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and not of ourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8 & 9 Our salvation is by faith in the Lord Jesus as our Saviour. Salvation is a free gift from God the moment a person trusts in the Lord Jesus as Saviour. No works are involved in our salvation (lest we should boast of how we earned to get saved). Our own good works, merit, and religious  ceremonies are vain and ineffectual concerning the salvation of the soul.  

The Lord Jesus in Matthew 25:31-46 is not talking about faith in the salvation of the soul. The Lord is talking about the judgment of the  nations when He comes in His Millennial Kingdom as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6 The Lord clearly states, "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall the be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats." Matthew 25:31 and 32

So, it is obvious that the salvation of the soul that Paul is talking about and the situation in Matthew 25:31-46 that you referred to is two different situations.

May  I remind you of what the Lord Jesus said of salvation, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I would suggest that you concentrate on your need for eternal salvation and not search for apparent contradictions. I do  hope that this explanation helps you.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members
10 hours ago, ialsop said:

So I have been convinced by the Bible that ONLY Jesus can save us from sins, not rosaries I used to say or indulgences or Mary's intercessory graces or submitting to the Pope. Only JESUS saves us. It follows, then, that we CANNOT earn our own salvation. We can do no works to get ourselves saved. In fact, Jesus says that whoever believes will be saved. 

AND YET...

In Matthew 25, where the sheep are separated from the goats, Christ judges by who feed the hungry, clothed the naked, gave drink to the thirsty, ect. I.E. who performed works and who didn't. Faith isn't even mentioned. 

-isaac

Hi.. As you begin (or continue) to study your Bible look for "dispensations."  Now... that's a big word but it's pretty simple. The scripture you cite must be studied "in context" and part of the context is the "dispensation" being discussed (Alan does a good job addressing that above).   I think you said you were a new/young Christian over in another thread... Focus on WORDS and their meaning as you study.  I used to teach that CONTEXT was the most important thing in Bible study.  I now teach that it is the 2nd most important thing.  First is WORDS and their meaning.  You can't get the context if you don't know the meaning.  But CONTEXT is right up there in importance. Always, ask: Who, what, when, where, why.  

Edited by 1611mac

• Members

I appreciate the help! That makes sense. I had never considered these to be two different situations, that clears everything up. 

And thank you for showing me a better way to study! I appreciate it. 

I think that clears up my final doubts about my being saved, but it will take some time to get used to thinking this way. I'm so used to thinking about salvation, but usually in how to earn or secure it. 

Another verse Catholics use in an attempt to prove that faith is not only what saves is one in James where James says "Faith without works is dead". I had it explained to me, though, that faith without works IS dead, but works still don't have a place in salvation. Faith alone saves you, and works make that faith alive. However, this verse DOES NOT mean that works save you at all. Would that be accurate to say? 

• Members
On 2/25/2017 at 8:37 AM, ialsop said:

Another verse Catholics use in an attempt to prove that faith is not only what saves is one in James where James says "Faith without works is dead". I had it explained to me, though, that faith without works IS dead, but works still don't have a place in salvation. Faith alone saves you, and works make that faith alive. However, this verse DOES NOT mean that works save you at all. Would that be accurate to say? 

I like how Paul the apostle stated it in Ephesians:

Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Works do not save us but salvation makes us able to work as God wanted us to be able to work. The lost person cannot work at all for spiritual things, much less for salvation. The lost boaster of "works" get nothing from God but humble sinners are saved just by asking for it.

Luke 18:10-14 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

James 4:5-7 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Edited by John Young

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, ialsop said:

The Rapture of the church happens before Matthew 25 (even before the 7 years of tribulation). The church actually returns with Christ at his 2nd coming and we will see him separate the sheep and goats; those who were left behind and endured "the tribulation".

* PS. Salvation is by grace through faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ. - Technically not "faith alone" or even "grace alone" < that's 2 things together which are no longer "alone". Faith must be in Jesus Christ. One might have faith alone in himself (etc) and he will be damned to hell

Edited by InSeasonOut
comment on title

• Moderators

This can be answered by understanding who 'the nations', (separated as sheep and goats), are. I believe this correlates to Zechariah 14:16- "And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles."  Someone, during the 1000 year reign of Christ, will be alive, in the flesh, keeping the feast of Tabernacles-and not all will be saved.

These of the nations left from those who attacked Jerusalem, are those who were not part of the military, but lived in those nations, really, ALL nations. And those who remain after Christ returns will be separated, according to how they treated and cared for, and about, the people of God during the tribulation time-those who hated them and were pleased by their tribulation and deaths, will be cast away into hell, the goats. Those who cared, who sought to help, who had compassion on them, even at risk of their own lives, will be allowed to enter into the milennial kingdom, though in the flesh. And assumably they will still have to receive Christ by faith, because their works don't save, just preserves them into the kingdom. Mercy for those who showed mercy.

• Members

the key to understanding the word of God is found in 2nd Tim 2:15 where God gives a command to study to show thyself

approved unto God,a workman that needeth  not to be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth. all of Gods word is written

for you but its not all written to you. Find out who is talking, (only three speak ,God, Satan, or man) and who are they talking to

( Jew, Gentile,Church) ,and what are they saying.for example you can get the power bill from your neighbors mail box, and learn to turn

your lights off to save on your bill, but you don't have to pay the bill , its not to you. hope this helps a little. now the book of Matthew is not where you would go to get church doctrine as it is written to the Jew, in fact Matthew is technically not a new testament book. the new test.

begins after the death of a testator ( see Hebrews ch. 9 ) Christ doesn't die until the end of matthew. just trying to promote your thinking.