• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MacArthur

DaveW

• Members
20 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Not the whole story. When I got saved, God convicted me of Sin, Righteousness, and Judgment. Through the preaching of the Gospel and the wooing power (drawing) of the Holy Ghost, I was "convinced" of my sin, the Righteousness of God, and the damnation of Hell. I turned TO Jesus FROM sin and Hell. In order to be saved a person MUST realize there is something to be "saved" FROM and fully believe he DESERVES to go there. That something, the Bible says, is Hell. Jesus warned about it.  That is not false doctrine my friend: it is Biblical. 

Thanks for the update.

• Members
22 hours ago, D-28 Player said:

Just as a physically dead man cannot dial 911 to call for help, so a spiritually dead man cannot call on God for salvation lest the ability be granted to him by God. Please note that this means that regeneration must take place before man can repent or express faith in Christ, thus meaning that I have answered your question and any further claims that I have not are simply not true. 

And God has granted all people this ability when He poured out His Spirit over all flesh at Pentecost. Acts 2:17 & John 16:8. It is never granted selectively my friend.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

Universalism is heresy and the unregenerate do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit 

Talk anout your strawmen! No one mentioned universalism except you. I suspect your universalism and my universalism are a bit different.

Universalism is the heretical idea that all men will eventually be saved and enter eternity with the Lord. THAT is universalism. From your answer, yours would be that Christ died for all men's sins, and His sacrifice was efficacious to save all men, if they came to Him. That isn't universalism, that is biblical truth.

I keep hearing about how important logic is to the Calvinst position. Not here, but from another source, a reformed preacher I know, and he says it is not possible for God to do anything that is against logic. Ergo, a sovereign God CANNOT allow His creation to have any ability to receive or reject Him. Not logical.  Logic doesn't come into play, because man can't hope to grasp the most basic aspects of God's logic. However, if it IS about logic, even then, Calvinism fails, because logically, there is no point to the Bible, no point for the morality lessons contained therein, for any law to be given, for any preaching of the gospel to occur, because those destined to damnation with no hope to ever change because God hath declared it to be so, can never learn from the errors and sins of those in scripture, and those destined to salvation don't need it. So unless God is just having a great laugh at the expense of the billions He is sending to hell and judging guilty while denying them any opportunity to turn and repent, God would be the most illogical being to exist.

true justice and mercy are to be found in scripture: that a child was not to be judged for the sin of the parent, and vice-versa, tells me that God judges righteously-he gives His law and those who choose to follow it, (be it the law of Moses or the law of Christ), find mercy and salvation, and those who do not are judged sinners and lawbreakers and punished accordingly. But they have the ability to choose to keep or break those laws, and even the worst have found repentance in them. So we must assume that God gave the law based upon His method of judging, which is, we have a choice to follow and be blessed, or reject and disobey and be judged guilty.  But a God who says "Repent!" but has already removed any ability to repent, is a god unjust.  Acts 17:30 "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Does he command, but not allow? I think not.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

Talk anout your strawmen! No one mentioned universalism except you. I suspect your universalism and my universalism are a bit different.

However, if it IS about logic, even then, Calvinism fails, because logically, there is no point to the Bible, no point for the morality lessons contained therein, for any law to be given, for any preaching of the gospel to occur, because those destined to damnation with no hope to ever change because God hath declared it to be so, can never learn from the errors and sins of those in scripture, and those destined to salvation don't need it. So unless God is just having a great laugh at the expense of the billions He is sending to hell and judging guilty while denying them any opportunity to turn and repent, God would be the most illogical being to exist.

true justice and mercy are to be found in scripture: that a child was not to be judged for the sin of the parent, and vice-versa, tells me that God judges righteously-he gives His law and those who choose to follow it, (be it the law of Moses or the law of Christ), find mercy and salvation, and those who do not are judged sinners and lawbreakers and punished accordingly. But they have the ability to choose to keep or break those laws, and even the worst have found repentance in them. So we must assume that God gave the law based upon His method of judging, which is, we have a choice to follow and be blessed, or reject and disobey and be judged guilty.  But a God who says "Repent!" but has already removed any ability to repent, is a god unjust.  Acts 17:30 "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Does he command, but not allow? I think not.

Well that's a very creative description of Calvinism you have there. 

So have you kept the law?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

Well that's a very creative description of Calvinism you have there. 

So have you kept the law?

My point wasn't that we have to keep the law, my point was that God based the law He gave to man upon His own sense of justice. It would seem odd that He would demand of us something He would not practice Himself in that respect. And as I said, it comes from a Calvinst preacher, not myself. I know, though, that there are many brands of 'Calvinism". You are just of a different brand than him, apparently.

• Members
19 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

However, if it IS about logic, even then, Calvinism fails, because logically, there is no point to the Bible, no point for the morality lessons contained therein, for any law to be given, for any preaching of the gospel to occur, because those destined to damnation with no hope to ever change because God hath declared it to be so, can never learn from the errors and sins of those in scripture, and those destined to salvation don't need it.

Amen, I thought about saying similar yesterday but, thought I would listen longer. Also, there would be no point to use the serpent in the wilderness and tie it to Christ. John 3:14-16. This just reinforces the fact we have been given a choice to receive or reject the free gift given through Jesus Christ.

D-28 sometimes a man can be so determined to win an argument that he can lose what eternal is and why we preach the word in truth.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
36 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:
36 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

D-28 sometimes a man can be so determined to win an argument that he can lose what eternal is and why we preach the word in truth.

I agree 

We preach the Word in truth that the lost might be saved

• Members
Just now, D-28 Player said:

I agree 

We preach the Word in truth that the lost might be saved

From what I've seen in your writings I don't believe there is harmony between our understanding of "word of truth" or who "the lost" are. If you're truly a Calvinist then we cannot walk together -- in the agreed sense. "Whosoever will" is what I believe and Calvinism does not agree. To borrow from Hamlet, I must admit that you "...doth protest too much, methinks".

• Members
4 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

"Whosoever will" is what I believe and Calvinism does not agree. 

It's unfortunate that you feel you have to slander Calvinists in order to defend your beliefs but that's up to you I guess 

Edited by D-28 Player

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

It's unfortunate that you feel you have to slander Calvinists in order to defend your beliefs but that's up to you I guess 

It is only slander if it is intentionally false. Since it is not false, it isn't slander.

Besides, he said "Calvinism" not "Calvinists". Calvinism clearly does not believe in 'whosoever will', but 'whosoever God allows to will, by His will, and no will of their own."

• Members
21 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

true justice and mercy are to be found in scripture: that a child was not to be judged for the sin of the parent, and vice-versa, tells me that God judges righteously-he gives His law and those who choose to follow it, (be it the law of Moses or the law of Christ), find mercy and salvation, and those who do not are judged sinners and lawbreakers and punished accordingly. But they have the ability to choose to keep or break those laws, and even the worst have found repentance in them. So we must assume that God gave the law based upon His method of judging, which is, we have a choice to follow and be blessed, or reject and disobey and be judged guilty.  But a God who says "Repent!" but has already removed any ability to repent, is a god unjust.  Acts 17:30 "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Does he command, but not allow? I think not

Amen!!

• Members
1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

It is only slander if it is intentionally false. Since it is not false, it isn't slander.

Besides, he said "Calvinism" not "Calvinists". Calvinism clearly does not believe in 'whosoever will', but 'whosoever God allows to will, by His will, and no will of their own."

Calvinists believe and Calvinism teaches that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. If you want to pretend they don't that's your problem. 

"Whosoever". Period.

• Members
6 minutes ago, D-28 Player said:

Calvinists believe and Calvinism teaches that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. If you want to pretend they don't that's your problem. 

"Whosoever". Period.

Yet the Calvinistic system also teaches that the "whosoever" can only be the "whosoever" if the Lord our God FIRST grants them both the ability and the desire to believe through His irresistibly gracious work of regeneration.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet the Calvinistic system also teaches that the "whosoever" can only be the "whosoever" if the Lord our God FIRST grants them both the ability and the desire to believe through His irresistibly gracious work of regeneration.

Still "whosoever"