• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Problems with Soulwinning

• Members

I am very passionate about personal evangelism as well, and I have wrestled with the same questions.

I've noticed that many people try to share the Gospel as a presentation instead of a conversation. When people feel like we are giving them a presentation they seem to want to just agree, and say or pray whatever it takes to get it over with. Of course, that's not always the case.

Just toward the end of last year I lead a close friend of mine to the Lord, and he even showed up at church the following Sunday. After that he never came back, and quickly went back to his friends and lifestyle like nothing ever happened. I remember feeling like I had failed my friend somehow. I eventually met with our outreach Pastor to express my frustrations and concerns to him. He reassured me that I had done my part, and that I was in no way responsible for my friends spiritual growth since he refused my offer to help guide him in discipleship.

In some cases it takes a person years to start attending church and bearing fruit after they become saved. I've seen it happen with others and that was my own personal experience as well. I was saved for almost three years before I gained a love for reading the Bible, but slowly the desire to learn the Word of God eventually came. Soon after I began a serious study of the Bible I started attending church, became a member, and today I understand what it means to be a new creation.

• Members

We can't see a man's heart of course, but what you describe makes you wonder.

Here in Australia we don't have it so much - Aussies tend to be a bit more up front and just dispense with politeness and tell you outright they are not interested.

What that means is that you get less initial "response", but unfortunately we don't get a better % of success.

Still lots of people who get "saved" who are never heard from again.....

• Members

The most "successful" (by that I mean that it was God working through this person) soul winner I ever saw broke every rule in the book!  God blessed him and blessed him by allowing him to lead many to Christ but his means was the most unconventional I have ever seen.  Very direct. In my view almost to the point of being offensive but he grew a church almost by himself!  It was an amazing thing to see.  He was heavily involved in an RU ministry so many of those he witnessed to needed some "direct" talk.  But he was no different when witnessing to anyone else and the response was the same.  People trusting Christ, joining the church, and serving. 

I am not advocating this "technique" or any other.... It's obvious to me that God's hand was simply on this man.

Edited by 1611mac
clarity

• Members

AdamL has raised a very interesting point which was taken up by John Macarthur in his book "The Gospel according to Jesus" and the follow up book "The Gospel according to the Apostles".  In these books Dr Macarthur seeks to highlight a clear difference between people who merely profess faith, and those who are truly saved.

A person "gets saved" not because they have "prayed a prayer", at the insistence of an evangelist, but because God has moved upon them by His Spirit and drawn them to call out to Him in repentance and faith.  Of course, there is nothing wrong with a Christian leading someone to the Lord, neither is there anything wrong with Gospel booklets that have a prayer of repentance and committment at the end.  However, we need to be very cautious as there are many who "pray a prayer" but never evince any fruit. 

This is exemplified by the "results" at Billy Graham meetings.  Many go forward to "receive Christ" but very few actually stay the course.  In accordance with 1st John 2 v 19, those who merely profess faith were never truly saved in the first place.

In conclusion, we need to remember that "salvation is of the Lord".  We don't actually convert people, it is God who does that when He grants the gift of faith to people who have been given to Jesus - John 6 v 37 and v 65.

• Members

Look at Paul's gospel presentation in Athens compared to elsewhere.

In Athens his approach is different although the Gospel is the same.

There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" Presentation method.

You need to assess the person and convdrsation and vary your approach to suit.

Note that I am talking about method and approach, not gospel.

There is, was, and always will be only one Gospel.

And I would warn people to be very wary with Macarthur.....

Edited by DaveW

• Members
3 hours ago, Bob Hutton said:

In conclusion, we need to remember that "salvation is of the Lord".  We don't actually convert people, it is God who does that when He grants the gift of faith to people who have been given to Jesus - John 6 v 37 and v 65.

Just mentioning that few on this board hold to Calvinism or reformed doctrine.

• Members
3 hours ago, Alimantado said:

Just mentioning that few on this board hold to Calvinism or reformed doctrine.

What I have put forward in my post is not "Calvinism" but simple Bible truth viz. Jesus in John 6 made it clear that a people have been given to Him by the Father (v37) and that no-one can come to Him unless it has been granted to them  (v65).

I would be interested to know why DaveW has warned against John Macarthur.  I don't agree with everything Dr Macarthur teaches but, as a general principle, his ministry has been extremely helpful to me.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Bob Hutton said:

What I have put forward in my post is not "Calvinism" but simple Bible truth viz. Jesus in John 6 made it clear that a people have been given to Him by the Father (v37) and that no-one can come to Him unless it has been granted to them  (v65).

Calvinism teaches the idea of 'irresistible grace' - that God has predetermined (as opposed to merely pre-knowing) those that shall be saved, and that they will be drawn to God and saved through no choice of their own. What you're saying sounds rather like that, which is probably why Alimantado is cautioning you. Although discussion is encouraged, any strong promotion of Calvinism is not permitted is not permitted on this board. Just wanted to let you know so you're not blindsided later on. :-)

I'm going to say this now to prevent the thread being hijacked. (This is for everyone, Bob, not just you.) The topic of this post is soulwinning, so let's try to keep it to that, shall we? Any discussion of Calvinism should be deferred to another thread.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Bob Hutton said:

I would be interested to know why DaveW has warned against John Macarthur.  I don't agree with everything Dr Macarthur teaches but, as a general principle, his ministry has been extremely helpful to me.

I agree with Bob Hutton on this. The Bible is very clear that it is the Spirit of God that draws us to himself, and opens our heart to the truth. That is not Calvinism or Reformed doctrine, but simple Bible truth. Man has the free will to accept or reject that drawing and revelation, but we don't get saved without the conviction of God.

• Members
27 minutes ago, Bob Hutton said:

-snip- I would be interested to know why DaveW has warned against John Macarthur.  I don't agree with everything Dr Macarthur teaches but, as a general principle, his ministry has been extremely helpful to me.

Not debating... offering for consideration only... http://www.wayoflife.org/reports/john_macarthur_and_cultural_liberalism.html

• Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Calvinism teaches the idea of 'irresistible grace' - that God has predetermined (as opposed to merely pre-knowing) those that shall be saved, and that they will be drawn to God and saved through no choice of their own. What you're saying sounds rather like that, which is probably why Alimantado is cautioning you. Although discussion is encouraged, any strong promotion of Calvinism is not permitted is not permitted on this board. Just wanted to let you know so you're not blindsided later on. :-)

I'm going to say this now to prevent the thread being hijacked. (This is for everyone, Bob, not just you.) The topic of this post is soulwinning, so let's try to keep it to that, shall we? Any discussion of Calvinism should be deferred to another thread.

Salyan, many thanks for your comments.  I wish to put your mind at rest.  It was not my intention to promote any particular brand of theology, but rather to point out that it is the Lord who does the saving.  This is relevant to evangelism as we can so easily think that we contribute in some way to people getting saved when, in fact, it is a work of God. 

Once we accept that salvation is of the Lord it takes the pressure off us and removes the temptation to water down the call to repentance lest it causes offence.

Regards

Bob

Edited by Bob Hutton
of should be off.