• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tattoo Removal Ministry

• Members

For a few years now, I have been trying to come up with a workable concept of a tattoo removal ministry as a soul-winning opportunity.  I would like to be able to remove tattoos from ex convicts, people wishing to leave the gang lifestyle and others, free of charge.  The process of providing the service would provide a wonderful opportunity for sharing the Gospel.  To help make the ministry as self sustaining as possible, those who are not in the aforementioned situations and who can afford to pay to have their tattoos removed, would be asked to pay for the service.

For this to be possible, money would need to be raised for the initial purchase of the laser machine and aftercare supplies as well as ministry supplies (tracts, KJVs to hand out &c.)  Unless a special deal could be made, at least $30,000 would need to be raised.  I thought that, instead of asking one church to raise that amount, perhaps other like-minded Baptist churches could contribute to the fundraising.  In return, weekend tattoo removal clinics could be scheduled at those churches and I could bring the equipment to them for the duration.  

I had the opportunity to have a facial tattoo removed for free about 15 years ago and it changed my life.  I had the Gospel explained to me several years later and it changed my life even more.  I still have tattoos on my arms that I absolutely abhor and are a source of shame.  I keep them covered, but the ones on my wrists still peek out when shaking hands or putting on a coat &c.   I know how miserable it can be to live with constant reminders of bad decisions, both spiritual and physical, and how they can affect one's life, both spiritually and physically.  A tattoo removal ministry seems like a wonderful way to offer both spiritual and physical restoration.

This is not an exhaustive explanation of the idea for the ministry, but just something to give you an idea about what I have been thinking.  I would really appreciate thoughts, comments and suggestions about this.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

For a few years now, I have been trying to come up with a workable concept of a tattoo removal ministry as a soul-winning opportunity.  I would like to be able to remove tattoos from ex convicts, people wishing to leave the gang lifestyle and others, free of charge.  The process of providing the service would provide a wonderful opportunity for sharing the Gospel.  To help make the ministry as self sustaining as possible, those who are not in the aforementioned situations and who can afford to pay to have their tattoos removed, would be asked to pay for the service.

For this to be possible, money would need to be raised for the initial purchase of the laser machine and aftercare supplies as well as ministry supplies (tracts, KJVs to hand out &c.)  Unless a special deal could be made, at least $30,000 would need to be raised.  I thought that, instead of asking one church to raise that amount, perhaps other like-minded Baptist churches could contribute to the fundraising.  In return, weekend tattoo removal clinics could be scheduled at those churches and I could bring the equipment to them for the duration.  

I had the opportunity to have a facial tattoo removed for free about 15 years ago and it changed my life.  I had the Gospel explained to me several years later and it changed my life even more.  I still have tattoos on my arms that I absolutely abhor and are a source of shame.  I keep them covered, but the ones on my wrists still peek out when shaking hands or putting on a coat &c.   I know how miserable it can be to live with constant reminders of bad decisions, both spiritual and physical, and how they can affect one's life, both spiritually and physically.  A tattoo removal ministry seems like a wonderful way to offer both spiritual and physical restoration.

This is not an exhaustive explanation of the idea for the ministry, but just something to give you an idea about what I have been thinking.  I would really appreciate thoughts, comments and suggestions about this.

I think it's one of the most unique, practical and interesting ideas for a ministry I've heard in a long, long time. And it sounds like you would uniquely qualified to be the one to institute it, based on your own personal testimony. I would love to see you get something like that going! I can see tremendous potential for the Lord. 

• Members
Just now, weary warrior said:

I think it's one of the most unique, practical and interesting ideas for a ministry I've heard in a long, long time. And it sounds like you would uniquely qualified to be the one to institute it, based on your own personal testimony. I would love to see you get something like that going! I can see tremendous potential for the Lord. 

Thank you for your encouragement, brother.  Something that is also important to me is that the concept of offering a service connected with witnessing be supported biblically, as much as possible.  Even though it is something about which I am passionate and that it can be very helpful, I want to make sure I'm not just sprinkling Christian seasoning over a pet passion and calling it a ministry.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Thank you for your encouragement, brother.  Something that is also important to me is that the concept of offering a service connected with witnessing be supported biblically, as much as possible.  Even though it is something about which I am passionate and that it can be very helpful, I want to make sure I'm not just sprinkling Christian seasoning over a pet passion and calling it a ministry.

You mean like Dorcas in Acts 9 sewing coats for the poor and needy ... and through that alone opening a door for Paul, and many were saved as a result? Your pet passion is a burden and ache for others in their lost condition, and a strong desire to reach out to them. That's not mere Christian seasoning on a fleshly desire, that's is Christianity.

James 2:18 comes to mind. As does Colossians 3:17. So does a careful reading of Titus 3:1-4.

• Members
1 hour ago, weary warrior said:

You mean like Dorcas in Acts 9 sewing coats for the poor and needy ... and through that alone opening a door for Paul, and many were saved as a result? Your pet passion is a burden and ache for others in their lost condition, and a strong desire to reach out to them. That's not mere Christian seasoning on a fleshly desire, that's is Christianity.

James 2:18 comes to mind. As does Colossians 3:17. So does a careful reading of Titus 3:1-4.

Thank you for those verses and your continued  encouragement.  You are a blessing, brother.

• Members

Very unique idea.

Have you presented your idea for free tattoo removal services to any churches? any positive response?

Also, some of the larger churches have a 'Reformers Unanimous,' ministry for former addicts (any type of addiction). Some of these pastors may understand the need for a free tattoo ministry. I probably would approach them first and seek their advice.

Either way, I do hope the Lord blesses your effort.

• Members

I have not been with one church long enough to feel comfortable brining it up.  I don't want to be the new guy that comes in all excited and asking for money.

I'm not a fan of Reformers Unanimous.  I tried them for a while when I wanted to get away from AA, but RU was very contemporary in their programs and had "Christian Rock" themed things and they wanted me to spend quite a bit of money buying program materials.  

• Members
6 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

I have not been with one church long enough to feel comfortable brining it up.  I don't want to be the new guy that comes in all excited and asking for money.

I'm not a fan of Reformers Unanimous.  I tried them for a while when I wanted to get away from AA, but RU was very contemporary in their programs and had "Christian Rock" themed things and they wanted me to spend quite a bit of money buying program materials.  

I was the director of our Reformers Unanimous program at our former church, and there was no Christian Rock themes or financial charges that come from the RU program itself. The church you were attending may have integrated these things and added them to the program, which is a shame, but the program itself is very conservative and totally free for the students. When I finally get moved to New Mexico this summer and begin pastoring the church there on the Navaho reservation, I want to eventually institute the program there. And I am very, very conservative in my music etc.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Brother Stafford said:

Check out H.O.P.E. (Helping Others Put off Entanglements) started by Bro. Rick Carter when he was in Oregon (He now pastors Beth Haven Baptist in OKC)  http://www.hope4addictions.com/

http://www.okcbaptistchurch.com/hope-addictions-program/

As for your proposed ministry -- sounds good.