• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The word wine does not automatically mean alcoholic

• Moderators

An interesting side topic: I often discuss with people as to the taking of the Lord's Supper, because so many use fermented, alcoholic wine. And of course, we know the Jews use alcoholic wine as well for Passover, (I believe). Yet the Bible never once refers to what was used for the Lord's Supper as 'wine', rather as the 'fruit of the vine' or 'the cup'. That is simply because, there should be not mistake at all that to use alcoholic wine would be to completely ruin the picture the Lord's Supper gives, as much as using leavened bread for the bread, (which I see all the time in depictions of the Lord's Supper).  Since the bread represents the perfect body of Christ, without sin, unleavened bread is used. So, as the cup represents the perfect, sinless blood of Christ, having it alcoholic, which is a corruption of the natural sugars in the grape, would lose the picture of the sinless blood of Christ. Fermenting juice is basically the same as leavening bread.

As to the main topic, I have heard of another type of wine, but I am having the brain damage right now and can't remember it, but it is neither juice nor alcoholic wine, but something else, but I need to ask my wife, who will probably remember, so as soon as I can I will come back with it.

• Members
51 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

As to the main topic, I have heard of another type of wine, but I am having the brain damage right now and can't remember it, but it is neither juice nor alcoholic wine, but something else, but I need to ask my wife, who will probably remember, so as soon as I can I will come back with it.

You're probably thinking about the type that manifests as the sound that emits from the mouths of those who seek to justify drinking the alcoholic type when they are told that is is unbiblical.  

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

Isaiah 65:8 (KJV)
8  Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, 

Much more to say on the topic, but this is to say that wine in the Bible does indeed refer to both "new wine" found still in the cluster, and fermented wine.