• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Members

Let me start with, yes, it may have already been discussed, but I'm a newbee and am going to ask anyway. I would like to hear some different perspectives on music for worship services including "specials" as they say. Let also say, I am not trying to start a huge debate or argument. I have heard it said that music should be limited to hymns and even with no piano all the way to Christian rock is suitable for specials. Now I don't think there is even a question when it comes to the "Christain rock", but what about milder forms of praise music or southern gospel? Any tasteful and respectful opinions on this. (It is always best to provide scripture to back your doctrine.)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't have a problem with some new music. If it is from the bible and uplifts God. I think the whole atittude behind the new praise and worship and rock style music is that of lets get rid of the "old". Lets throw out the KJV, lets get rid of the "old" ways and start something new and fresh. If a church can have newer praise and worship and not be touched by the new trends I have not found a church yet like this who haven't watered down the gospel or got rid of it for more seeker, market-driven mentality.

• Members
I don't have a problem with some new music. If it is from the bible and uplifts God. I think the whole atittude behind the new praise and worship and rock style music is that of lets get rid of the "old". Lets throw out the KJV' date=' lets get rid of the "old" ways and start something new and fresh. If a church can have newer praise and worship and not be touched by the new trends I have not found a church yet like this who haven't watered down the gospel or got rid of it for more seeker, market-driven mentality.[/quote']

This I must admit is the same for me and what I have seen. It seems to me that it's almost all about business and trying to make church appear "more fun" to the younger and very confused generations. But there is a lot of "new age" music that I think does praise God and solely focusses on Him. Why can't churches who like to use this type of music also cling to the KJB and teaching the Word with conviction and power??

Guest Guest

Jeff Deyo is great I think this type of worship music can be put into any church and made appropriate. The Pastor has the last say and if he is not into it then you have to decide where to worship. Tank

• Members
Jeff Deyo is great I think this type of worship music can be put into any church and made appropriate. The Pastor has the last say and if he is not into it then you have to decide where to worship. Tank

Shouldn't the Bible be the ruling authority here and not the pastor??

Guest Guest

It's not like the Bible tells us we can't listen to certain types of music, so, since it doesn't, I think it's quite acceptable for the pastor to decide. There is some music our pastor says might not be wrong but he won't allow it in the church because he doesn't want to set a precedent for bad music etc.

• Members

Our churches uses some modern selections, but they are very carefully selected and they are performed with an accoustic guitar. We also still sing hymns in every service as well. I like the use of good newer songs while not neglecting the good older songs.

• Members
I tend to prefer contemporary services. They are a whole lot more meaningful than people staring down at their hymnbooks and quoting the verses.

Yes...for some it is better to be staring up at a screen and quoting the verses. :Green

Bottom line is who is getting the glory, God or the performer and/or music? All the contemporary services I have ever been to, it seems, the performers were primarily concerned about how they sounded, looked, and performed. I saw little love of God and much love of self. That said, I have also seen that happen in more traditional services as well, but not as frequently.

Where I worship, we stick to the traditional hymnals, but current music is sung as well, typically in specials, provided it is traditional in nature. All instruments are acoustic, no one holds a mike and no choreography. That may seem harsh to some, but it works for us. No one can come to our service and say God isn't glorified.

• Members
It's not like the Bible tells us we can't listen to certain types of music' date=' so, since it doesn't, I think it's quite acceptable for the pastor to decide. There is some music our pastor says might not be wrong but he won't allow it in the church because he doesn't want to set a precedent for bad music etc.[/quote']

Exactly...there has to be some kind of "say" in church or it will be a free-for-all. The pastor is who God set here to keep the church "decently and in order".

We have very conservative music in our church. However at home we do enjoy some good southern gospel (not too modern) and western style music that we would not allow in church.

I agree also there are some things we don't allow just so that it doesn't get worse. For instance if we allowed "canned music" (cd accompaniments) there are many good ones out there...but if you allow one, you have to allow everybody's, and unless you totally listen to every single one and approve or disapprove, you are going to end up with some bad music. So we just don't allow it at all, to solve problems.

• Members

Aren't we told to obstain from all appearances of evil?? If this is true, then the bible is giving us direction to not listen to or take part in music that is representative of musical styles that are essentially "worshipped" by the evildoers of this world. Now don't get me wrong here I do like some modern music. I'm just making argument that I don't believe it's right to say that God's word hasn't given us the direction for this matter. We are also told not to worship God in the same manner that pagans worship their gods, aren't we??

• Members
I agree the Bible gives guidelines' date=' but the Pastor is basically in charge of making sure the church follows those. It can't just be "every man for himself" in church.[/quote']

I agree. It's the pastor's and deacons' job to ensure the what God's word puts for is adhered to. But it is the Word that judges right and wrong, not men. :thumb

• Members
I tend to prefer contemporary services. They are a whole lot more meaningful than people staring down at their hymnbooks and quoting the verses.

If people in an old fashioned, fundamental, baptist church are staring down at their hymn books (I assume by this you mean that they are basically dead when it comes to works and excitement about God), then someone needs to wake up to the Word. If you are saying that the music used in the service determines how the Spirit of God moves on the people or how perceptive they are to the preaching of the word, you should really reconsider this. Because if this is the case, you've just made music the focal point of the church and that is what I would consider to be ... well, let's just say not such a good idea. The days of the tent revivals and Billy Sunday's preaching didn't need contempory music and the church today shouldn't need it either. It's simply a way to bring more of the world in so that luke warm Christians feel comfortable instead of convicted.