• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't enjoy visiting too many Independent Baptist churches up here in the midwest, then. We're definitely separate from the world, but people in our churches do raise their hands in worship when a song moves them. It's not wrong to do so.

What would you do if someone raised their hand and closed their eyes during a song in your church?

You wouldn't enjoy visiting too many Independent Baptist churches up here in the midwest, then. We're definitely separate from the world, but people in our churches do raise their hands in worship when a song moves them. It's not wrong to do so.

What would you do if someone raised their hand and closed their eyes during a song in your church?

I was thinking the same thing Princess. LOL. Hey, if the Jews worshipped to God this way...then it has to be good for us, too. Right? :thumb

• Members

That is a good question KJB_Princess (I wonder what is your real name to not have to write all that). Lets see. I would have to say that sinceresly in our church no one those that, I think and maybe we can agree on this, that people are teached and learn. For ex. your church has learned there is nothing wrong on rasing hands and clapping, and all that, as I have learned the opposite. So that is why many things could be the blame of teachers and pastors.
You know KJB_Princess I don;t really want to start a discussion on this but I do believe this:
- I have to praise in Spirit and truth. (I don't need my flesh and my hands)
- Do you think that lets say Spurgeon in the 1800, or anyone before lets say Marthin Luther who easn't even a Baptist do you think they where rasing there hands and jumping and all that, or could it be that for 1900 years the church has been wrong and not biblical and until 1900's they saw that we could play CCM, rais or hands, and do all those things we see today? I think its a fashion, its a thing of the time.
It really gets me mad, when they call some singers "worshiper" like if they had a special gift of been "worshipers" just because they rais there hand and do all those things, so if they are worshipers, what am I? An apple?
I know you don't agree, its ok. haha.

• Members

I was thinking the same thing Princess. LOL. Hey, if the Jews worshipped to God this way...then it has to be good for us, too. Right? :thumb

candlelight, sisther. Got a question for you.
What did it mean to rais there hands? Why did they do it?

Now, regarding to the fact that jews did it in the OT, they also killed animals and made them in sacrifice, do they also do it in your church?

just because they rais there hand and do all those things' date=' so if they are worshipers,[/quote']

And, what about the Jews in the OT? They raised their hands high to show praise, honour, and glory to the Lord. No, we all don't do it...but, why criticise those that do? Were the Jews into CCM?

• Members

NO they where in Jews Contemporary Music, just kidding, hey I have bad news, i know you are enjoying the subject and all that, but I have to go in this moment. I know that for tomorrow it is goingto have like 2 or 3 more pages of posts full of modern baptist, but I will see if I get a chance to continue talking this. By this moment I got to go, have a good night! It was good "talking".

• Members

You're gonna have to do better than calling people here "modern Baptists" and saying we're wrong wrong without providing an argument to support your case. You can say your views are based on any kind of historical thing that you want but you need to provide Bible to back up what your saying here.

I don't find anywhere in Scripture forbidding a person from raising their hands. On the contrary, it even goes to far as to saying that we should praise God in dance. That's not just the hands, that's the whole body. :wink

"Psalm 28:2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle."

"Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice."

"Psalm 63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name."

"Psalm 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD."

"Nehemiah 8:6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground."

"Lamentations 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger in the top of every street."

"Luke 24:50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them."

"1 Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

Lifting up the hands to God in prayer and praise is well supported by scripture. There might be an issue to be raised with how and in what spirit it is often done, but that is a very different issue.

• Members
Lifting up the hands to God in prayer and praise is well supported by scripture. There might be an issue to be raised with how and in what spirit it is often done' date=' but that is a very different issue.[/quote']

I agree. I've sometimes wished that my IFB church's atmosphere was more conducive to this sort of expression of worship. (I don't think anyone at my church would be "offended" at all if someone raised his/her hands in worship, but I know it would draw attention to that person...which inhibits that person's worship to a certain extent). In the churches in which I grew up, hand-raising was very common; several people here and there would raise their hands in praise, thankfulness, worship, etc., throughout the service. I thought it was a beautiful expression.

candlelight, sisther. Got a question for you.
What did it mean to rais there hands? Why did they do it?

Now, regarding to the fact that jews did it in the OT, they also killed animals and made them in sacrifice, do they also do it in your church?

Yeah we still do it "killed animals and made them in sacrifice, do they also do it in your church" Its called food fellowship after hunting season! :lol: The sacrafice is to those who really do not like deer but do not want to offend the hunter. :lol:

You're gonna have to do better than calling people here "modern Baptists" and saying we're wrong wrong without providing an argument to support your case. You can say your views are based on any kind of historical thing that you want but you need to provide Bible to back up what your saying here.

I don't find anywhere in Scripture forbidding a person from raising their hands. On the contrary, it even goes to far as to saying that we should praise God in dance. That's not just the hands, that's the whole body. :wink

Hi, Kevin. You know what is funny. It is the older people...60+ who lift up their hands in worship and praise. We have an 84 year old Hispanic American man who is a WWII POW (Africa)...and, he loves to raise his hands high to the Lord in praise, honour, and glory. He is so sweet and gentle. We also have many older women who do the same thing, and it is the older people who sing Hallelujah to the Lord of Lords and King of Kings. The younger generation needs to work on this...in our "modern" Baptist church. hehe. That was so funny. If Bro Diego only knew. LOL.

"Psalm 28:2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle."

"Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice."

"Psalm 63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name."

"Psalm 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD."

"Nehemiah 8:6 And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground."

"Lamentations 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger in the top of every street."

"Luke 24:50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them."

"1 Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

Lifting up the hands to God in prayer and praise is well supported by scripture. There might be an issue to be raised with how and in what spirit it is often done, but that is a very different issue.

Thanks, Seth, for the scriptures. The evangelist that preached the sermon has been preaching for over 45 years. He is also the Chaplain for the City of Parma, OH. Parma is the 3rd largest suburb in the state of Ohio. I know he has experience. He is NOT a "modern" man at all. Quite the contrary. LOL. He has led Muslims to the Lord Jesus Christ. :amen: He also sang a beautiful Gospel song before he preached.

• Members

Hi, I am back, Kevin how are you? Nice to see you again and again in almost everything i say, haha, its ok, one day when you invite me to Korea I will forgive you. :thumb :thumb Just Kiding.

Alrright lets see where do i start.

... Its called food fellowship after hunting season! :lol: The sacrafice is to those who really do not like deer but do not want to offend the hunter. :lol:

I have never tried deer, is it good?

Let's see Kevin.
First the issue of Modern BAPTIST, well Kevin as I mentioned i the past there is no historical documentation for 1900 years of Baptist raising hands, and doing all those things. As I said was it that for 1900 years we where wrong? And suddenly modern Baptist discovered and got lighted again in a "true" hmmm.. i don't think so, do you? Or would it be that let's see maybe charismatic and pentecostals strated all those practices and it has started to enter in some Baptist Churches? ohhh I think so, what about you?
About if the Bible backs up if people could be rasing there hands in the "worship". I challenge you to find me two verses where it says that during the "worship" they where doing those practices.
What did it mean to rais the hands in the Old Testament? You know? It is important to know what did it mean. That could change the perspective of things. (I AM LIVING YOU HOMEWORK KEVIN, i know is saturday but please forgive me my friend).
Then, I got one more thing, I have seen how several time different people start saying that in teh OT they did that, I got a homework for those who are saying that, tell me how did they "worship" in the tabernacle and then in the temple. And i say 'worship' because modern chrisitianity thinks that singing is synonym of "worshiping" and then they divided in songs of praises and songs of worship, haha, i never understood from where do they get that but well. So the homework is east tell me during singing what did they do in the temple in the OT, and how was the thing in the tabernacle. INstruments, etc...

JOhn 4:24
god is emotional, and they that worship him must worship him rasing hands and with your eyes closed.

ooooops sorry i confused of Bible in the King James 1611 says something like this:

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth

• Members

Bro. Diego,

You are the product of some very narrowly focus'd and revisionist history of Baptists. You make some very bold and super confident claims that you are unable to support with Scripture. Please go back to the Psalms, and come back with your hands raised unto the LORD.