• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Members
Jeremy Camp... :lol: I don't even know what he looks like. Thanks for letting me know. BTW' date=' If you desire, please go to my church website...http://www.CRBC-online.org, and scroll down to "Online Ministries." My pastor preached/taught a sermon entitled "The Bible and Music" on Wednesday, 8-6-08. The last part of his message gets into music, and I want to let you know that he is not against CCM per se. You'll hear a song at the end of the service that he listens to at home.[/quote']

I'm at home sick today and not able to go to church, so your Pastor's message was my Sunday night service. Very good message! The song was a great blessing!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your most welcome, trc. :smile I try to post my church website for that specific reason. I am not promoting my church, rather...those who cannot get to church can get a blessing from God's Word. I am so happy that it spoke to your heart. I had never heard that song before. It was a blessing to me, too! This message went along with his "Intimacy with God" series. Praise and worship, as we know...is needed in our "spiritual" walk with God. My pastor is hoping that we will apply this in our daily walk with Christ. :pray

• Members
Personally' date=' I don't care for Jeremy Camp. I feel like I have to strain to understand what he's saying so it doesn't encourage me when I hear his songs. Plus, I have trouble seeing a pastor in earrings.[/quote']

Kevin, I hear what you are saying about the ear ring thing, I don't get into that and I'd have a personal issue and preference against that for any Pastor of mine (perhaps I'm just an old fuddy duddy). But then again I've known a couple of outstanding Christian men who had an ear ring. When I asked them about it they were looking at it as an outward sign of their having given themselves to God as a bondservant. There does seem to be some symbolism for this type of thing in the Old Testament when the servant loved his master and wanted to stay voluntarily as a servant (see vs. 6 below).

"Exo 21:1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
Exo 21:2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
Exo 21:3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
Exo 21:4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
Exo 21:5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
Exo 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever."

I do not think Camp declares to be a pastor? I do know he was a worship leader at the church his father pastored for many years. His live unplugged CD in my favorite. I have seen him live like 3 times and he is not pridefull at all and is willing to share his struggle and testimonies. The guitar player in his band is or was a top studio musician in Nashville I believe so that shoots out the idea the CCM artists are not talented.
? for all I was listening to the radio and found an all country Christian music station what is this all about and what is everyone's thoughts about some secular country music being called Christian. Also, Alan Jackson released an album a few years ago with hymns he sang as a child in a Baptist church is this type of stuff "kosher?" Tank

I certainly will, trc. :smile Pastor Jenkins is really a blessing to us all at Columbia Road. His heart is in the right place, and most of all he doesn't get self-righteous, bigotted, opinionated, and he is NOT a racist. He is "A man after God's own heart" IMO. He is 53, and he was raised during the "hippy movement" but in strict IFB family. He went to public school, but went to a very tough IFB church. He teaches us...and doesn't condemn us the way I have seen other preachers (priests ~ in the RCC) do. He says..."We already know the difference between right and wrong." God speaks to our hearts, individually. Only the power of the Holy Spirit can grab hold of us and convince us of specific "spiritual" truths. The whole Christian life as he says, "Is God revealing a truth to us...and, releasing us to learn another truth." He is an awesome pastor. :thumb I will let him know that you got a blessing from the message that God laid on his heart to preach that Wednesday night.

Sounds like you have a great pastor, which is awesome. I've always desired to have a pastor that is really compassionate and that I could have a relationship with. I'm glad that my pastor in Korea is like that. It's awesome when he'll take the time after a service to come back, sit next to you and ask if he can pray with you. That's something I've always wanted but never had and it was a great feeling. :thumb

I must've missed the test you posted. Where is it?
I've done another spiritual gift test, though, and I have two predominant gifts. My my predominant one is teaching, you probably never would've guessed. :wink My second one is mercy, it closely follows teaching as my strongest gift.

P.S. I hope CC is as encouraging to your husband as it has been to me. :thumb

What really helps my hubby and I...is being in our pastor's Sunday school class. At times, he will drive a church bus, as well. LOL. He is very easy to talk to, and you never feel like you are "On pins and needles with him." My hubby, being in the Bible Institute has grown very much. He has a lot a brother's in Christ at our church...that he has so desperately needed to have fellowship with. He is having fun. :smile

I will post the test tommorow, when I can find it. hehe. I thought your "strong" gift was teaching. That was a given to me. Mercy is an awesome gift, too...so, you are concerned with the needs of others, Kevin. LOL. These tests will surprise you. I am so happy that you have found a place to call "home" and, your pastor is a man whom you can relate to. We all crave that. I pray that you soak in as much wisdom as you can...while you continue to be a blessing to the Korean people.

I got CC specifically for hubby to listen to. He loves them! Like I said, he needs this type of music to open up his soul and help him to be more emotional. He comes from a rigid family. Well, they were "strict" RCC, then "strict" Brethren, then, "strict" IFB...so, basically everything was forbidden. You know? It is getting much better, though with his parents. Thank the Lord. :pray Hubby and I are opposites, and I have to take his needs into consideration. OB has been a blessing to me in this respect. I'm not his mother, afterall. LOL. He has called me "mom" on occassion. :smile My (our) son needs a mom that isn't so "Nazi" either. So, I am learning to "relax" as my hubby would say. Joe says "If I (he) wanted to join the military I (he) would have enlisted when I was 18." :lol:

Thanks, OB members for the insight. :thumb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Did you find that test? lol
I'm glad your husband is enjoying them. It seems like a lot of people get so focused on having rigid standards that they lose the ability to enjoy their Christianity. I've seen this first-hand and I believe God intends for us to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. :thumb

Did you find that test? lol
I'm glad your husband is enjoying them. It seems like a lot of people get so focused on having rigid standards that they lose the ability to enjoy their Christianity. I've seen this first-hand and I believe God intends for us to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. :thumb

I am going to look back on OB to find the "Spiritual Gifts" test. I think I can find it.

You are right about that, Kevin. Oh, my pastor had knee surgery, so an evangelist (Dr. Marion Wojanowski) spoke on Sunday morning about praising and worshipping God. It was awesome. He had his hands up in the air (he said the Jews worshipped like that). My pastor has said that before, too. He said we should NOT be afraid to be "Bapticostals." LOL. So many people went to the alter for invitation. It was very moving and spoke to hearts. I thought of you. :smile

• Members

Bapticostals. lol
Sounds interesting. I definitely think there should be more feeling and emotion in some churches. There is definitely a balance where we shouldn't be statues worshiping God emotionless but we should also be orderly and not lose ourselves to our emotions and forget what the purpose of our worship is. I think lifting our hands can be a good thing. :wink
A bunch of my friends and I who were/are in the same college program met for a get-together in Michigan earlier this year and our hosts went to a Baptist church in Grand Rapids. Uncle Charlie from the radio program "Keys For Kids" goes to the church and does announcements and stuff. He had just come back from visiting another church and told everyone that they raised their hands at that church and it was okay for them to do it there, nothing bad would happen if they did. He's a really funny guy, actually. But this particular church is predominantly elderly and very serious and strict. I think he was telling them to loosen up a little. :frog

:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :uuhm: :uuhm: :uuhm: :uuhm:
Thanks God your pastor never wrote a book of the Bible.

I think she's talking about raising your hands while singing. It's Biblical.

:thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :uuhm: :uuhm: :uuhm: :uuhm:
Thanks God your pastor never wrote a book of the Bible.

The evangelist said, that...and, he was being funny. They praise and worship the way the jews did...with their arms held up high. "Bapticostals" is a word used up north (Ohio in particular). Psalms highlights many worship songs with much praise.

• Members

I think she's talking about raising your hands while singing. It's Biblical.

well, to be honest I don't agree on that either, but I am not intrested on starting a discussion over it.
What I can tell you is that I am amazed how many "types" of "IFB" are in the world. That is intresting. I will stand with the biblical,historicly distinctives, old fasioned, old paths, separatist, Independnt, soul winner Baptists.
But well, I respect (with out approving) others election.
In other words INDIVIDUAL SOUL LIBERTY.

The evangelist said, that...and, he was being funny. They praise and worship the way the jews did...with their arms held up high. "Bapticostals" is a word used up north (Ohio in particular). Psalms highlights many worship songs with much praise.

allright. :uuhm: