• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kevin, when you quote those long posts, can you at least put it in the "spoiler" tags so we don't have to scroll down so far to see your posts? :Bleh

Like this...

• Members

Ok, lets look at it. :wink I think we can agree that this part is mostly fluff. Nothing really "wrong" with it but not much there either. Pretty much just says love + glad.

On this part we have some issues. Christ didn't exactly come from heaven to earth just
to "show the way" he is the way and he came to die for the sin of the whole world. John the baptist was the one who came to "show the way" so to speak. Secondly we have the doctrinal problem of a man saying "Lord, I lift Your name on high". You will not find a single case of a man "lifting" the name of the Lord any place in scripture. The name of the Lord IS lifted up regardless of the actions of man. We can and should praise his name, but that is recognizing what HE has done, we are not lifting anything at all ourselves. That would imply a power we do not have. All in all, it manages to slip in a fair amount of bad doctrine considering it is only a few lines repeated over and over...

I think you could probably find something pretty similar to "I'm glad your in my life" and "I'm glad you came to save me" in the Psalms, just in older English. :wink

I think you're being a bit nitpicky...Christ showed the way to Heaven by dying on the cross. Without it, there would be no way to Heaven. Lifting the Lord's name on high here is a reference to honoring God's name and reverence for it, it's not saying that your lifting Him up in the sense that you seem to be thinking.

I could go this route, too.

"Sing, you islands of the sea; echo back, you ocean caves;
Earth shall keep her jubilee: Jesus saves! Jesus saves!"

This seems to be a bit new-ageish. Implying that islands will sing and ocean caves will reply. And then it's saying that earth has the power to keep something that is clearly in God's power alone to accomplish.

:wink

I'm not sure who you've seen this happen to, I've seen quite the opposite. The people that I know who are most focused on God and concerned with spiritual things listen to both CCM and secular music.

That is about what I expected you to say. Give it time... Fruit doesn't always show overnight, but it will in the end.

• Members
Hey Kevin, when you quote those long posts, can you at least put it in the "spoiler" tags so we don't have to scroll down so far to see your posts? :Bleh

Like this...

He's just trying to lure the curious by increasing the amount of pages. :Bleh

• Members

And when they've been raised in it? And when you've got adults and old people who are listening to it and aren't suffering spiritually? There's just nothing behind it, and I think you'll find that yourself in the years to come. I said the same stuff you are saying for years and finally realized that a few circumstantial evidences can't wipe out a style of music just because some people baselessly correlated it. There is nothing to say, Scripturally, that the style of music is wrong. Nor is it possible for a style of music to cause someone to fall away. A falling away is a result of what's in your heart, not what goes in your ears. Could you explain to me how these sound waves cause someone to become backslidden because they are a different kind of sound wave to what is "traditional?"

He's just trying to lure the curious by increasing the amount of pages. :Bleh

I think the number of pages is based on the number of posts per page, not how long the page is. :smile He's just making the pages longer... not increasing the page number. :Bleh

• Members

I think the number of pages is based on the number of posts per page, not how long the page is. :smile He's just making the pages longer... not increasing the page number. :Bleh

oh, ok..............well, now he's working on the other, isn't he?? :Bleh

I think you're being a bit nitpicky...Christ showed the way to Heaven by dying on the cross. Without it, there would be no way to Heaven. Lifting the Lord's name on high here is a reference to honoring God's name and reverence for it, it's not saying that your lifting Him up in the sense that you seem to be thinking.

Exactly what I have said about CCM all along. It contains many vague references that can easily be taken in more than one way.

I could go this route, too.

"Sing, you islands of the sea; echo back, you ocean caves;
Earth shall keep her jubilee: Jesus saves! Jesus saves!"

This seems to be a bit new-ageish. Implying that islands will sing and ocean caves will reply. And then it's saying that earth has the power to keep something that is clearly in God's power alone to accomplish.

There is actually sound biblical backing for that type of language.

"Psalm 65:13 The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing."

"Isaiah 55:12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."

"Isaiah 44:23 Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel."

"Joel 1:20 The beasts of the field cry also unto thee: for the rivers of waters are dried up, and the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness."

"Psalm 19:1-3 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Nor is it possible for a style of music to cause someone to fall away. A falling away is a result of what's in your heart, not what goes in your ears. Could you explain to me how these sound waves cause someone to become backslidden because they are a different kind of sound wave to what is "traditional?"

I agree, what is in the heart is what causes people to fall away. However, the heart that tends to seek after the style of CCM is often the same heart that leads people to fall away. Six of one half dozen of the other.

• Members

I understand what your point is Seth...........I've heard a lot of choruses at one time or another that bewildered me because they made no sense......like the "I Lift your name on High" one. It would make an interesting thread to put on some of the most popular choruses and analyze them.

I understand what your point is Seth...........I've heard a lot of choruses at one time or another that bewildered me because they made no sense......like the "I Lift your name on High" one. It would make an interesting thread to put on some of the most popular choruses and analyze them.

Hi, bzmomo7...Now, that sounds like a great idea. :thumb