• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Members

If that's how you worship, then that is fine, though I don't know if that would be considered worship, necessarily. I'm just not sure how a person who is truly in a spirit of worship can sit as if nothing is touching them and exhibit no expression at all.

Music was often an expression of praise and worship in the OT, especially. It wasn't to "prepare hearts for the sermon." The music itself was the worship and adoration of God. That's especially why I don't see the need for songs to be about salvation or conviction of sin, that's not what music is for. At least, that's not what worship or praise music is for. Praise and worship music puts all the focus on God and His glory and in worshipping Him, I think that's a positive thing.

You tell us that we can't judge someone's heart based off their actions - even when we are using scripture to do so - in another topic, but turn around and judge someone else's worship simply by opinion?? :puzzled: I don't get it Kevin. As far as conviction of sin and salvation, is this not the root and fundamental point of why we praise God - because He did convict us of our sin so that we could be saved? Personally, I'm starting to get the idea that you are more interested in being charismatic than being doctrinally sound and growing in wisdom and truth. I don't understand your stance on this if you have no scripture to back it up with.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The reason for that is this:

"Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

We see from this that one of the primary purposes of godly music is to teach and admonish the hearers. If the words to a song do not do that it really isn't a particularly godly song.

Every song that I can recall from scripture, is either teaching doctrine directly, or is recounting various deeds of the Lord, and thus still teaching much doctrine, but indirectly.

What we don't see in scriptural songs is something which is very common in much CCM, mindless repetition with the focus on the music so as to induce emotion, or vague wordings with only token acknowledgement to bible truths.

Psalm 136:1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.

And so goes the rest of the chapter. Repetition is not always a bad thing. It might not be your preference, but certainly not wrong. If you look at the Psalms, you will often find songs that are extolling the virtues of the Lord, recalling past events, or just praising the Lord for His goodness. The Psalms are the largest examples of Biblical music in the Bible, and they seem to be more similar to P&W songs than to hymns, IMHO.

• Members

You tell us that we can't judge someone's heart based off their actions - even when we are using scripture to do so - in another topic, but turn around and judge someone else's worship simply by opinion?? :puzzled: I don't get it Kevin. As far as conviction of sin and salvation, is this not the root and fundamental point of why we praise God - because He did convict us of our sin so that we could be saved? Personally, I'm starting to get the idea that you are more interested in being charismatic than being doctrinally sound and growing in wisdom and truth. I don't understand your stance on this if you have no scripture to back it up with.

I'm not judging, I'm saying I don't understand how that is worship. I never called into question her spirituality or anything related to it. I haven't gone outside the normal bounds of discussion and debate and attacked anyone personally. I'm not going to chase the strawman in the latter part of your post.

• Members

Psalm 136:1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psalm 136:5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever.

And so goes the rest of the chapter. Repetition is not always a bad thing. It might not be your preference, but certainly not wrong. If you look at the Psalms, you will often find songs that are extolling the virtues of the Lord, recalling past events, or just praising the Lord for His goodness. The Psalms are the largest examples of Biblical music in the Bible, and they seem to be more similar to P&W songs than to hymns, IMHO.

In musical styles too?? That was the original topic here, not so much the lyrics. Though I do agree that there is nothing wrong with repetition. You can't tell God too many times that you love and adore Him.

I don't have a problem with SOME limited CCM, however it is my PREFERENCE not to have it at church. I like the good old hymns of the faith. I love to sing them at church.

I do, however, have problems with the churches that pretend to be totally against CCM but will "adapt" Bill Gaithers songs and make them "acceptable" to be sung in church. That, my friends, is hypocrisy.

• Members

I'm not judging, I'm saying I don't understand how that is worship. I never called into question her spirituality or anything related to it. I haven't gone outside the normal bounds of discussion and debate and attacked anyone personally. I'm not going to chase the strawman in the latter part of your post.

Yet again, you are giving opinions. What do you base your stance from?? Experiences; or truth found in God's word? That's all I'm asking.

• Members
I don't have a problem with SOME limited CCM, however it is my PREFERENCE not to have it at church. I like the good old hymns of the faith. I love to sing them at church.

I do, however, have problems with the churches that pretend to be totally against CCM but will "adapt" Bill Gaithers songs and make them "acceptable" to be sung in church. That, my friends, is hypocrisy.

I agree MrsW. But again, you're talking about personal preferrences. What are God's preferrences??

God's preferences are that after salvation we have a "new song" and that we make melody and sing Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs. That's about all He says about music apart from showing some very vibrant worship in the Old Testament. I like to see hands raised at times. Our church sings hymns mostly, but I would say that the contemporary songs fall under the category of "spiritual songs". "Spiritual songs" are the ones that actually have spiritual value, not the songs that are "christianized" from some worldly songs. Casting Crowns, for example, have many spiritual songs that are edifying to the believer, however some other CCM groups such as Zoegirl are just fluff and dance music etc.

• Members
God's preferences are that after salvation we have a "new song" and that we make melody and sing Psalms' date=' Hymns and Spiritual Songs. That's about all He says about music apart from showing some very vibrant worship in the Old Testament. I like to see hands raised at times. Our church sings hymns mostly, but I would say that the contemporary songs fall under the category of "spiritual songs". "Spiritual songs" are the ones that actually have spiritual value, not the songs that are "christianized" from some worldly songs. Casting Crowns, for example, have many spiritual songs that are edifying to the believer, however some other CCM groups such as Zoegirl are just fluff and dance music etc.[/quote']

Trust me. I'm not intentionally trying to make this go 'round and 'round, but doesn't this bring us back to the point of: actually I'll just repost what I put up earlier.

• Members
Kevin, please note that I'm not saying that your church is as "shallow" as some of what I had previously mentioned. But also, please realize that the bottom line, and you've basically said this yourself, it's not the music that determines the service or the amount of love and passion for our Saviour. I have made very generalized comments about "contemporary" church serices and you have done the same about the "old fashioned" ones. However, the bottom line is really about the motives, intents, and personal spiritual response to God of each individual and the church as a whole. If people are staring down at their songbooks lifelessly and singing the words out of duty, they are basically doing so in vain. In the same respect, if they are lifting their hands and singing out to make themselves appear "in tune to the Holy Spirit" (as I have heard some charasmatics put it) or to make themselves feel good, they are also in vain. So maybe we should look back to our original subject of not necessarily considering things from an emotional stand point and just simply the facts in the word. I think a good question was posed earlier: What determines (and it should come from God's word and not your opinions please) something to be appropriate for our lives and God's praise and service and not to be worldly? Also, what makes something to be worldly?

Anyone??

Where does it say that music is to bring someone to salvation? I thought music was used to praise GOD maybe I am wrong. I read many posts that said Old Hymns turn you toward salvation and I simply agree very much so with those statemets. My questions are Why can't music in church also simply praise God for anything and everything he has done in our lives not just salvation? The Pslam's are songs right are they all about salvation? Some verses are and others talk about other things. Why is this book not considered our standard? Tank

• Members
God's preferences are that after salvation we have a "new song" and that we make melody and sing Psalms' date=' Hymns and Spiritual Songs. That's about all He says about music apart from showing some very vibrant worship in the Old Testament. I like to see hands raised at times. Our church sings hymns mostly, but I would say that the contemporary songs fall under the category of "spiritual songs". "Spiritual songs" are the ones that actually have spiritual value, not the songs that are "christianized" from some worldly songs. Casting Crowns, for example, have many spiritual songs that are edifying to the believer, however some other CCM groups such as Zoegirl are just fluff and dance music etc.[/quote']
Casting Crowns is my favorite band now. :frog
It's one of the few Christian groups I really like, I feel like there is really something to it. I do listen to secular music, as well, but there is a difference in your purpose when you listen to a fun song as opposed to a song in praise or worship to God, know what I mean? Listening to a harmless secular song is just like any other activity that might be harmless entertainment, like watching a movie on Friday night, it doesn't uplift you spiritually, but nothing necessarily inherently wrong in it, either. What do you think?

• Members
Where does it say that music is to bring someone to salvation? I thought music was used to praise GOD maybe I am wrong. I read many posts that said Old Hymns turn you toward salvation and I simply agree very much so with those statemets. My questions are Why can't music in church also simply praise God for anything and everything he has done in our lives not just salvation? The Pslam's are songs right are they all about salvation? Some verses are and others talk about other things. Why is this book not considered our standard? Tank

Here's what the BIBLE says as Seth already pointed out and was largely ignored: "Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
and to answer your comment about Psalms not are singing all about our salvation.......well, um, it was written before the New Testament I believe...... :wink