• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

With Young

• Members

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." - Isaiah 40:11 .

The heavily pregnant ewes often fall behind the running flock because they have trouble walking. But the mothers with newborns usually take up the rear.. This prevents the very small babies from being trampled when the flock stampedes and it keeps the little ones from being separated from their mothers, which happens too easily when they are very small.. These twin lambs, toddling into the pasture, were born early this morning sometime before daylight. The little guy just ahead of them, was born three days ago. In a few days they will be leaping in the air and running like rabbits.

• Members

I've briefly considered getting a few sheep when we move to the mission on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico this summer. There is 160 acres of fenced in desert land that we will be moving to. But I don't know enough about them, and I fear I may be too much old cowboy to ever become a sheep man at this point in life. :) 

Edited by weary warrior

• Members

heartstrings,

We know there are lessons to learn from sheep...and how it relates to the Christian life...which I find fascinating. Perhaps I'm over-reaching here, but I was wondering...and I've never thought of it until you posted the video...do you know if there are any specific lessons that we can learn from the little baby lambs...and how that can possibly relate to a new Christian?

• Members

Looking forward to HS' reply but while waiting, a thought came to mind, I pray it edifies:

All newborn babes grave mother's milk immediately after birth and are insatiable in appetite as they initially grow; so should a newborn Christian be with the Word of God.

Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, (more references back to Christ's teachings in the Gospels as in all the Epistles). As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

God makes this analogy for a clear reason in righteous judgment for us.

If our "converts" don't grave the Word of God right away after trusting Christ, go back to the drawing board and keep praying and explaining the Gospel to them. We should not be tempted to push assurance of salvation on them. Just as we must not be tempted to sell them an empty prayer. That is how tares are made IMHO.

• Members

Ah yes...I remember my own insatiable desire for God's word as a new Christian...I couldn't get enough of it! AMEN!

One thought that I had (brought on by the video) was how the ewe in the video kept the new-born lambs from harm's way by waiting for the others to leave the corral first...wondered how that might translate into keeping a new Christian from "following the crowd" or such as that.

Thanks wretched!

• Members

heartstrings, the more I ponder on it and research it, the more I turn toward the idea of raising sheep out on the reservation. Would you be interested in starting another thread sometime and begin teaching me on the subject? The practical side, not the spiritual. I have questions, and even worse, I'm sure there are areas of the subject where I don't even know enough to know the questions! But I would think that a mission on the Navaho reservation that raised sheep could have a lot of benefits. However, I wouldn't want to invest my scanty resources without proper research.