• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If You Died Today....

• Members

While I was in California, I regularly would go door to door soulwinning. In the poorer areas of the city,  I would ask the question "If you died today are you %100 sure you are on your way to heaven?" and they were very receptive to the question, very thoughtful of it and I was able to give the gospel, now in the richer areas of the city I would ask the EXACT SAME QUESTION and it was not received well at all! I got chewed out quite a few times and it was slightly unsettling since I had never had that reaction before...

Is there another way I should begin going into the gospel or continue on this way? I'd love to hear from veteran and newer soulwinners with advice and experiences you may have had....

• Members

Unless I feel led to change your approach, the way you are presenting the gospel is fine. Most Americans know the difference between heaven and hell and the necessity of being saved.

Since we minister to Chinese people, I have a different approach. Most Chinese are Buddhist. The Buddhist concept of heaven, hell, the concept of sin,  is different from the scriptures. They do not believe in "salvation." The Buddhists believe in reincarnation (among other beliefs), in order to obtain a life without pain and to stop the cycle of reincarnation.

Most Chinese though have heard about Christianity, and sometimes, not always, are willing to listen to what we have to say.

I normally approach a Chinese with this question: Do you know what the gospel is? Most Chinese do not have a good concept of what the gospel is. So, if they are interested, I ask them if they would like to see what the gospel is. Is so, I turn to (although I could quote the Chinese verse, I normally do not quote any scriptures that I use),  1 Corinthians 15:1-6. I then proceed to other verses as we discuss what we read. As we read the verses, I give the Bible concept of heaven, hell, sin, repentance, belief, and the necessity of salvation. I normally finish up with Romans 10:9-13.

This approach has helped me win Chinese to Christ. Maybe it could help win other nationalities to Christ.

I created a tract with this method called, "The Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ." In the link below you can read the English version of the tract.

http://taiwanvbc.com/gospeltracts.html

Also, the tract is not copyrighted. If you, or anybody else, would like to use than please do so.

Alan

Edited by Alan
deleted redundant phrase & grammer (2)

• Members

I have found that most people will say, when asked that Jesus was a great man.  If they say he is the Son of God, then we need to find out if the know who God is.  Isaiah 44:24 - 45:24 is a good start. We had a once had a pastor who said "We become Christians because we want to go to heaven"  No we don't.  We becaome christians because we realise that we have sinned against the great creator, who cannot abide sin but loves sinners, so much that he sent his only begotten son, to be forsaken of God that we may not be.  

Ac ts 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentence,  That means there should be evidence in their lives that they are saved.

PS, Neither do we become Christians because we don't want to go to hell.

• Members

I usually just tell people that we are out talking to people about God and about where they will go when they die, and I will stress the reality that we are in fact going to die and I like to quote Hebrews 9:27. Typically then I ask people if they think the are good enough to go to heaven and I will run them through the 10 commandments and then preach the Gospel. 

the key in soul winning is to trust in God, be filled with the Spirit and use the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Perhaps my experience is different from others. When I hear the words, "If you died today are you 100% sure you would go to heaven?" I always equate this with the easy believism crowd. This is exactly how the so-called "soul winners" I have seen begin their presentation. And it is a presentation, a very structured presentation that has been rehearsed again and again. It makes no provision for natural conversational situations, nor does it allow for  differences in people or lifestyle situations.

Our job, if you will, is to simply present the Gospel, not try to convince people of anything. We present the Gospel and God does the rest, plain and simple. The 123 repeat after me crowd thinks that it is their responsibility to convince people to repeat a prayer. If a person will repeat the prayer they are saved. (so they say) I have heard supposed soul winners get all discouraged when they talk to a person at the door, but the person will not repeat the prayer.

This discouragement is as much vanity and pride on the part of the soul winner as it is when someone will repeat the prayer. There is nowhere in the Bible that we are told to get people to say a made up prayer, this is a device of man, not Bible instruction.

So, right or wrong, when I hear this particular phrase I categorize the person that said it as being in the "easy believism crowd."

• Members
12 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Perhaps my experience is different from others. When I hear the words, "If you died today are you 100% sure you would go to heaven?" I always equate this with the easy believism crowd. This is exactly how the so-called "soul winners" I have seen begin their presentation. And it is a presentation, a very structured presentation that has been rehearsed again and again. It make no provision for natural conversational situations, nor does it allow for  differences in people or lifestyle situations.

Our job, if you will, is to simply present the Gospel, not try to convince people of anything. We present the Gospel and God does the rest, plain and simple. The 123 repeat after me crowd thinks that it is their responsibility to convince people to repeat a prayer. If a person will repeat the prayer they are saved. (so they say) I have heard supposed soul winners get all discouraged when they talk to a person at the door, but the person will not repeat the prayer.

This discouragement is as much vanity and pride on the part of the soul winner as it is when someone will repeat the prayer. There is nowhere in the Bible that we are told to get people to say a made up prayer, this is a device of man, not Bible instruction.

So, right or wrong, when I hear this particular phrase I categorize the person that said it as being in the "easy believism crowd."

I absolutely agree! 100%