• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

weary warrior

Working Men

I built new houses as a framing carpenter, did internal remods, did roofing, laid concrete, worked a jack hammer and a sledgehammer, worked for a tree trimming service, worked the pits at oil change stations, drove trucks, drove a cab, was a working musician, built musical instruments and now refinish antiques.

First job was stacking bricks at a brickworks.

Since then I have been in office jobs. Mostly in the survey and mapping sector, but the speciality I was involved in has basically died over time.

I was retrained as a survey draftsman before cutbacks and redundancy.

Now I do whatever I can to pay the bills.

And I often would pine for the days of simple labouring jobs - so much easier than dealing with office politics and constant deadlines and constant changing of specifications and requirements.

Let's see...

Started cutting pulpwood with my Dad as a pre-teen. Then moved up to cutting yards as a teen. Also worked as a janitor and in a couple of grocery stores. The last grocery store I worked in, I was "promoted" and...

Worked as a meat-man (fancy folks call them butchers)...then...

Joined the Coast Guard out of high school.

After that, I worked a couple of plant jobs (as in daily grind production of products...not leafy green things)...was promoted to the art department in one, because someone told the supervisor there that I could draw.

Cut yards some more during a time when I was without a job.

Delivered and picked up heavy equipment (you know...backhoes, dozers, etc...and parts).

Finally got into water treatment about 20 years ago. Started out as a meter-reader and laying water lines/repairing line breaks. After 5 years of that, I had the chance and moved up to the water plant and actual treatment of water...and have been doing that ever since.

4 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Most of my life has been spent never needing to go to a gym to keep in shape (that's what work is for) and the money in my pocket was usually soggy from sweat.

I can certainly relate to that....especially the sweating part.

First job - sweeping parking lots and hallways at an apartment complex. Then finished schooling and got hired on as a past-up artist for a newspaper. Did darkroom work there also. Picked grapes for a winery. Delivered newspapers, an 82 mile route!  Worked in a silk screen printing company. Did property grading for our county assessors office. Mounted transparencies on glass drums for lazer scanners for a 'first generation  film' company. Taught 4-6 grade at a Christian School. Then became a carpenter, which lasted about 20 years. Had my own carpentry and painting business for about 7 years of that. Now I work in a factory making hospital beds for a company that is #1 in the world market. Always took my preaching seriously. Much more than my jobs. But my family of 6 have been fed and clothed by my labors, and the Lord has been good to us. My wife left her job 27 years ago and has been the mother she needed to be, and being a one income family is not that hard. We also have home-schooled all 4 of our children, with 2 left to graduate. 

Edited by Genevanpreacher

5 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I can certainly relate to that....especially the sweating part.

I heard that!! I used to deliver groceries to restaurants (on hand truck, not forklift or pallet jack) in NW Fl (plus AL, MS) including Bonifay and Chipley. Later did electrical work in Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties. Drank a gallon of water, a gallon of lemonade and a 2 liter coke every day.

2 minutes ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

I heard that!! I used to deliver groceries to restaurants (on hand truck, not forklift or pallet jack) in NW Fl (plus AL, MS) including Bonifay and Chipley. Later did electrical work in Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties. Drank a gallon of water, a gallon of lemonade and a 2 liter coke every day.

Bonifay and Chipley: what time period was that and who did you work for?

9 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Bonifay and Chipley: what time period was that and who did you work for?

T.T. Todd Co. in Pensacola 1988-1993.

Our salesman for that area (I believe his last name was Peterson) lived in Vernon, FL (S of Bonifay)

From 1982-85 I was a meatcutter/stockman/cashier/night supervisor at the IGA store, in Chipley, and checked in a lot of vendors.. I was wondering if I might have checked your merchandise in a few times but I guess not. I don't remember a Peterson right offhand.

13 hours ago, heartstrings said:

From 1982-85 I was a meatcutter/stockman/cashier/night supervisor at the IGA store, in Chipley, and checked in a lot of vendors.. I was wondering if I might have checked your merchandise in a few times but I guess not. I don't remember a Peterson right offhand.

No, our accounts were restaurants, donut shops, some churches, some hospitals, etc but no grocery stores.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:38 PM, Alan said:

Fueled aircraft (as an enlisted man), in the U.S. Air Force when the Lord saved me and called me. If anybody thinks that fueling aircraft (especially a B-52 bomber), or a combat aircraft in an combat environment (ever seen a fuel truck that was a hit by a rocket/mortar round), is not laborious, than think again. :10_wink:

God bless you! My father was a flight line crew chief...specificially SAC and MAC. My husband was flight deck crew on an aircraft carrier for awhile too. 

I visited your church, www.experienceliberty.com . Seems like a very good church to attend. I especially liked the Spanish ministry and the webpage in Spanish.

I was saved at a SAC base, Castle AFB, Merced, CA (now deactivated). At Castle we had B-52's and KC-135 aircraft.

Edited by Alan
spelling