• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

There probably is some deeper meaning, but I've always read that at face value. Lamech was 182 years old when Noah, his first child, was born. How long had he toiled on his land by himself or with little other help? When Noah was born, he probably felt relief at finally having someone who would be able to help him farm the land when he got old enough. Thus, Noah was a comfort to his parents, in the future they wouldn't have to struggle so hard working the ground with another hand helping. Of course after Noah, Lamech had other children, but as his first born, Noah was a comfort.

11 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

After the flood is the ground softer?

Until the flood waters receded and the ground dried up and was back to normal, sure..... :351_ocean::334_thunder_cloud_rain::327_sunny::280_evergreen_tree::273_rabbit2:

38 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

How was they comforted when they all drown? Was the ground so cursed it was better to die?

Noah was a comfort to "us" because he saved the human race....:269_dove: Lamech on the other hand, wasn't thinking about a flood and drowning, or dying, unless he was a prophet he wouldn't have known Noah was destined to save the human race, and the Bible doesn't exactly say.  Basically, my thoughts are, while we can read the deeper meaning, it's really just a new father happy he has a son to help him on the farm. :215_cow::233_horse::228_baby_chick::258_camel::267_rooster::255_ox::268_turkey:

ps sorry, I just noticed the new emoticons and they're really cute! couldn't resist including them. :6_smile:

• Members
16 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

Genesis 5:29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Genesis 3::18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

All my life I have not seen ALSO! But I've been wrong. 

Genesis 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

The curse on the ground is gone. But the ALSO remains, thorns and thistles. 

Am I off my rocker? Can anyone else see this? Am I reading too much into the verses? 

• Members
On 1/16/2017 at 8:11 PM, MountainChristian said:

Genesis 5:29 And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

My guess it has something to do with Genesis 9:20 and Noah becoming a "husbandman". Apparently, he was the first to cultivate grapes (or whatever it was) and made wine. 

On 1/17/2017 at 1:27 PM, MountainChristian said:

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Genesis 3::18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

All my life I have not seen ALSO! But I've been wrong. 

Genesis 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

The curse on the ground is gone. But the ALSO remains, thorns and thistles. 

Am I off my rocker? Can anyone else see this? Am I reading too much into the verses? 

The promise of not cursing the ground again could have to do with when God broke up the foundations of the deep to flood the earth.