• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rightly Dividing Doctrine

• Members

When people ask why we condemn sodomy, but not the mixing of fabrics; or why we still condemn murder, but shaving our beards is no longer prohibited; or why we can glean our fields and eat shellfish, but we are prohibited from wearing clothing that is attributed to the opposite gender, how do we respond?

How do we concisely explain, to a skeptic, how the distinction is made?   To be honest, I can only give partial explanations.  I can give examples about OT laws that are specifically lifted in the NT, like the dietary laws (Acts 10:9-16), but I don't think I could adequately explain why men are no longer bound to abstain from cutting their beards.  I don't think I am articulating my question as proficiently as could someone else may be able, but I think you may get the basic point of my question.

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

I think a lot of this is covered in Things Hard to Be Understood by David W. Cloud.  

A skeptic is not looking for the truth, they don't care about the truth as they love their sins more than anything else.

Such matters as you brought up does not deal with a persons heart, they are used for the edifying of the saints which a skeptic certainly is not.  As my pastor said the other night, there are saints and there are aints!

Stick with the gospel presentation and let the Holy Ghost do his wondrous works on their heart.

• Members

Here's a short version of my personal explanation...

The Old Testament Law wasn't given to Israel as a means of salvation; rather, it was given to show them that they were sinners who couldn't live (in the flesh) up to God's standard. They couldn't earn salvation; therefore, they needed a savior.

My understanding is that many of the laws; such as, cutting their beard, shaving their head, marking and cutting their flesh, etc. was because God didn't want Israel looking like the surrounding idolatrous and heathen countries and thereby basing their "outward worship" of God...or their "outward association" with God on idolatrous practices. Those types of things were associated with idolatry.

While none in Israel (or anyone else for that matter) could keep the law, the law was still holy, righteous, and showed God's standard for living a holy life.

Therefore, while we aren't bound to live by the law, as children of God, we should want to try and please him with our lives. As we grow in grace and knowledge, he will conform us more and more into his image. As a result, we will gladly and freely "adopt" more of the law into our lives, because it shows our willingness to please him. This is a natural thing for those who do it out of love for God...not to be saved...but because we are saved. Not because it makes us better...but because we want to be better. It comes from a heart of love...not because we have to do it, are made to do it, or are commanded to do it.

Romans 13:8-10
8   Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9   For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10   Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

We just have to be careful not to become more focused on the law instead of the law-giver (and I'm not talking about Moses). This is a very fine line, and not many people walk that line in love or without making it the focus of their lives. Also, not many people do it for the right reason either. They do it to please other men or to feign righteousness...and God gets no glory for that.