• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Worldly Wisdom- Common unbiblical phrases and statements

• Members

I am going to be doing a series of short videos on things I call "wordly wisdom", basically short videos refuting popular sayings and comparing them to the Bible. here is a list of what I have, if you can add any please comment on this post: "We are all Gods children" "Judge not" "Follow your heart" "All paths lead to God" "The devil made me do it" "Live for now"/"eat drink and be merry" "Most people are good" "All religions teach basically the same thing" "Well that's your interpretation" "The Bible is written by man" "God made weed therefore it is good" "God made me this way"

God is all forgiving

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

A man once committed some grievous sin against another and when caught he lamented, "I don't know what possessed me to do that!?"  My prolific soul-winning friend pointed out that he said "possessed" and the man agreed that Satan had hold on the man and his life.  Before being lead away in irons he accepted Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.  

Look forward to watching your videos Kurecki. 

• Members

Concerning children's characteristics of disobedience -- "Give it time; they will grow out of it."

Concerning marriage -- "A happy wife means a happy life."  (For me this statement implies too much because it lacks the balancing truth -- "But an unhappy God means a chastened life."  This is a balancing truth because sometimes a husband is required to choose BETWEEN pleasing God or pleasing his wife.  This first statement implies -- "Always, always, always please your wife."  The second statement implies -- "NOT SO, but always, always, ALWAYS please God, even if that means displeasing your wife."

Concerning pastoral ministry -- "Do NOT get too close to anyone in the flock, because 'familiarity breeds contempt."  That "familiarity breeds contempt is true as far as it goes; however, the balancing truth is that 'fellowship breeds love.'

Coming out of the lost world -- "Christian's should be like Christ, and Christ was all about LOVE; He never did anything that would hurt anyone's feelings."

• Members

A few years ago I had a discussion with my then boss. At one point of the discussion, as he was trying to show his wisdom of things biblical (in his mind anyway) he said "Well of course the Bible says money is the root of all evil ", at which point I stopped him and corrected him "Actually it says 'the love of money is the root of all evil', to which he replied "Oh...... that changes things a bit......"

Might be worth looking at such partial quotes?

• Moderators

Cleanliness is next to godliness. Therre's one for you.

Or ever have someone talk about the 'seven deadly sins'? As if all the others we less deadly? I actually got somewhat caught up in this, deciding to look into gluttony, biblically, (after being accused of being a glutton, due to my manly girth). And I tried to find the list of those specific sins, even though I knew I had NEVER actually seen such a list or heard a sermon on it, thought I would kake sure of myself. Sure enough, that's a Catholic list. Gluttony is nothing worse than any other sin, as ALL of them will drag a soul to Hell without Christ.

As for 'eat, drink and be merry', that IS, indeed, in the Bible, in John 12:19--it just isn't an endorsement, but a warning against trusting in uncertain riches.

• Members
6 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Cleanliness is next to godliness. Therre's one for you.

Or ever have someone talk about the 'seven deadly sins'?

God is a God of order and a messy home for example would not seem to be Godly.

The Catholic version is quite different and of a different context from Proverbs 6:16-19.

• Members
8 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Concerning children's characteristics of disobedience -- "Give it time; they will grow out of it."

Concerning marriage -- "A happy wife means a happy life."  (For me this statement implies too much because it lacks the balancing truth -- "But an unhappy God means a chastened life."  This is a balancing truth because sometimes a husband is required to choose BETWEEN pleasing God or pleasing his wife.  This first statement implies -- "Always, always, always please your wife."  The second statement implies -- "NOT SO, but always, always, ALWAYS please God, even if that means displeasing your wife."

Concerning pastoral ministry -- "Do NOT get too close to anyone in the flock, because 'familiarity breeds contempt."  That "familiarity breeds contempt is true as far as it goes; however, the balancing truth is that 'fellowship breeds love.'

Coming out of the lost world -- "Christian's should be like Christ, and Christ was all about LOVE; He never did anything that would hurt anyone's feelings."

Yes, that mentality breeds an "us and them" relationship instead of brotherly love and unity. It's not Biblical. The closest thing I know of that would even come close would be "withdraw thy foot from thy neighbor's house lest he be wearied of thee....." which is another thing entirely.

Edited by heartstrings

• Moderators
1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

God is a God of order and a messy home for example would not seem to be Godly.

The Catholic version is quite different and of a different context from Proverbs 6:16-19.

The point is, of course, it isn't Bible, I mean the cleanliness thing-it is worldly wisdom. John lived in the desert and wore a girdle of camel's hair-I suspect he wasn't the cleanest guy around. Elijah lived next to a brook for a while, that slowly dried up, and I suspect he didn't waste much bathing. And yet these were godly men.  As well, certain preaches were known to not be particularly orderly people, and were greatly dependent on their wives to hold things together. Billy Sunday was one, as I recall.