• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sharing the Gospel with Antiques

• Members

I restore antique furniture and hand tools for a living and I will usually include a video of the restoration process at no cost to the customer.  In them, I attempt to share Scripture with them.  I don't feel that I am very good at doing this yet, but I do believe that I am getting better.  The latest video that I have put together has the most Gospel presentation yet.  Since I am still a neophyte in this, I would appreciate any feedback and critiques you may offer.

Eastlake Highboy from Faithfully Restored on Vimeo.

Edited by Brother Stafford
Moved video from YouTube to Vimeo - updated link

• Members

Bro. Stafford,

First, let me say...WOW!

When you rejoined here, you gave a few clues as to your previous time on Online Baptist. After a little searching (yes, I'm sneaky that way), I was assured that you were who I thought you were when you were here before. :11_blush:

Perhaps I'm biased, but I think your videos are wonderful. After I "rediscovered" you, I found a few other of your videos, and they were such a blessing. The way that you incorporate God's word into your work is...and yes, I'll say it...phenomenal. It's absolutely heart-moving to me. So let me say, "Thank you!"

Now, since you asked for input, I will humbly give you my thoughts...

From what I recall from your previous videos, you would give scripture first...then show the process of your work and how it related to the scripture (if that makes sense). While I certainly loved this video and its message, I found that with how you presented God's word (at the top and bottom of the video), I would often not see it because I was looking at your work. Perhaps that's my failing though, so take it with a grain of salt.

You do wonderful work brother, and your videos are certainly a blessing. I've never seen anything like them before "knowing" you, and I pray the Lord blesses your efforts.

• Members

Thank you for your kind words, brother.  Like I said, I am still a neophyte at this, so I'm kind of fumbling around in the process.  This last one was rushed and rather unplanned as far as the editing and connection with the Scriptures.  I need to actually sit down and come up with a process of storytelling that begins before the work.  I need to have a plan when I record the video so that it comes across as more intentional.  I just want to make sure that they glorify God and share the Gospel in a way that people can understand.

Just so that I understand, you prefer the text being superimposed on top of the footage?

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
14 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Just so that I understand, you prefer the text being superimposed on top of the footage?

Yes, but remember, this is my input...I'm just one person.

From what I recall, you would show a scripture reference...then...you would show how your work related to (or was incorporated into) that scripture reference. So...there would first be a black screen with a scripture reference...then...you and/or your work would show after it and in relation to it.

Again...I'm one person. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the video by any means...IT WAS A BLESSING! I'm just giving you MY personal opinion in relation to other videos that I've seen from you. ;)

• Members

Wonderful video, scripture references, background music, and finished product.

I enjoyed seeing a master craftsman at work.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:14 AM, Brother Stafford said:

Do you think the text of the video adequately presents the Gospel?

Yes, I think the text adequately presents the gospel.

I do have one thought, maybe concerning any future work of restoration. As I was viewing the video 2 Timothy  2:20 and 21 came to my mind. "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour and some to dishonor. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the masters use, and prepared unto every good work." God, the master craftsman of the soul, can restore any vessel, or piece of furniture, unto a sanctified one for the Masters use.

Alan