• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sacred Harp Singing

• Members

I was a professional musician for twenty years, and owned a company building musical instruments, until I damaged my ears while working with musical equipment.  The music to which I used to listen and that I would write and perform was all ungodly and worldly.  Even the "Christian" music that I would write was still worldly in style.  When my ears were damaged (permanently, I have been told), I understood the experience as being a rebuke and discipline from God.  I closed my business, stopped performing and either sold or threw out every single thing I owned that was musically oriented.

One of the effects of the damage has been severe tinnitus; a loud tri-tone of ringing, hissing and buzzing that I hear 24/7.  It makes listening to music usually unenjoyable.  One day, I stumbled across Sacred Harp singing online and I discovered that, for some reason, when I listened to it, I could enjoy it without my tinnitus pestering me.  I have done a search on here and discovered that it has only been briefly mentioned.  It is such a wonderful and godly style of music that I thought more of you might be interested in it.  If I ever get relief from my hearing conditions, Sacred Harp singing is going to be the first activity into which I will dive head first.

Here is an example of one of the more well known Sacred Harp tunes called, "I'm Going Home (#282)."

This is one of the most popular and informative websites on Sacred Harp singing called "Fasola.org."

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this style of music.

Edited by Brother Stafford