• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No One Can Come to Jesus Christ, Unless...

Willo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1. Unless he is part of "the world"... John 3:16
2. Unless it's God's will... 2 Peter 3:9
3. Unless God is drawing him... John 6:44
4. Unless he is one of those included in......... "all men" John 12:32, Acts 17:30, 2 peter 3:9

• Members
4. Unless he is one of those included in......... "all men" John 12:32, Acts 17:30, 2 peter 3:9

:goodpost:

• Members

Agreed, anyone that is to be saved, must be apart of the world. Also, it should be noted that John uses "world" in 14 different ways throughout his writings, so in this context what is the "world" spoken of here?

Again, agreed. It is God's will that those whom He calls will come to Him. Notice that in 2 Peter 3:9 that it is talking to the "us", who is the "us" in that passage?

If you aren't drawn, then you won't come.

John 12:32, context, who is the "all" spoken of there? Is it literally all men? If so then all will be saved as in John 6 it says that "all who are drawn WILL come." Or, could it be "all" in the context of who Jesus is speaking to? (i.e. Greeks among a Jewish audience: see John 12:20, thus showing that salvation isn't just for the Jews but for all nations).

Acts 17:30 - God commands all men to repent, Amen! But, one must also take into account that man cannot repent unless God grants him the ability (2 Tim. 2:25).

2 Peter 3:9 - again, context who is the "us" spoken of in this passage? If we are to apply hermeneutics to this passage and exegete it correct, who is the passage talking about and to?

• Members
If so then all will be saved as in John 6 it says that "all who are drawn WILL come."
Felix was being drawn by the awsome power of the Holy Ghost, but he did not come. God will draw you in love, but He is a gentleman. You have the option of saying no if you want to. Felix did. I believe John 6:37 is not saying what you think it is.

Notice......

Jhn 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. You might think that "giveth me" means "giveth to me", but I don't think that's it at all. *But I could be wrong* Back up to verse 32.......

Jhn 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

So what does the Father give? Verse 32 says "the true bread". Who is "the true bread"? Jesus

He gives us Jesus when we get saved. Based on that, "Giveth me" in verse 37 Is not talking about the Father "giving us to Jesus" it's talking about "Giving Jesus to us". If you don't see it, read the two verses again carefully. When a person beieves on Jesus, the Father gives him Jesus, the Bread of Life, in his heart. He now has a new appetite, and a hunger for Jesus and will come to Jesus to satisfy that hunger.

• Members

You quoted John 6:37 maybe you could explain it:

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

What does it mean "shall come"? Does it mean "shall come, unless of course he decideds not to?" or does it mean "that those who the Father draws will come?"

• Members
You quoted John 6:37 maybe you could explain it:

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

What does it mean "shall come"? Does it mean "shall come, unless of course he decideds not to?" or does it mean "that those who the Father draws will come?"

When Jesus uses the words "Shall come", it mean's it's going to happen.

or does it mean "that those who the Father draws will come?"
Felix the governor was drawn by the Holy Spirit, but he was never given the Bread of Life because he never believed on the Lord Jesus. Not everyone who is drawn believes and gets saved. But those who have already believed on Jesus(the Bread of life) will come to Him over and over again...not for salvation, but because they are hungry. And the only thing that can satisfy the spiritual hunger of a child of God is Jesus...

• Members

When Jesus uses the words "Shall come", it mean's it's going to happen.

So, if God draws someone they will come. If that is true then you have a problem with your below statement. The options you have are: 1) The Bible has a contradiction, or 2) You are wrong. Since you make the case that Felix was "drawn" yet he never came. If Felix was truly drawn by the Father, and yet somehow refused to come, then Jesus got it wrong in John 6:37, is that what you are saying?

Felix the governor was drawn by the Holy Spirit, but he was never given the Bread of Life because he never believed on the Lord Jesus. Not everyone who is drawn believes and gets saved. But those who have already believed on Jesus(the Bread of life) will come to Him over and over again...not for salvation, but because they are hungry. And the only thing that can satisfy the spiritual hunger of a child of God is Jesus...

This statement contradicts your first statement, based on the logic law of non-contradiction both statements cannot be correct. If "shall come" means it will happen, then your statement "Not everyone who is drawn believes and gets saved." is incorrect. But, if the latter is correct, then the former is wrong. Which is it?

Also, could you please show me the verse where it states that Felix was drawn by the Father.

• Members
Also, could you please show me the verse where it states that Felix was drawn by the Father.

I did not use the phrase "drawn by the Father", I said......
Felix the governor was drawn by the Holy Spirit,

There is no verse; I compared scripture with scripture. Felix was under Holy Ghost conviction.

Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Jhn 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Act 24:24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
Act 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

• Members
Look at the context. If you apply the analogy of Scripture as a whole' date=' you would have to conclude based on John 6:37 that Felix was not drawn. Thus is why He did not come.[/quote']

He may well have been drawn, but being drawn does not mean the Holy Spirit will force one to come against their own free will.

So it surely seems that God was drawing Him, but like many others, he rejected, put it off to another time, perhaps to long, them died in his sins.

No where in the Bible does it declare that God, Jesus, nor the Holy Spirit will over ride ones free will.

Of course there are those who claim that the elect will be given so much grace they cannot refuse, which is not taught in the Bible.

• Members
Look at the context. If you apply the analogy of Scripture as a whole' date=' you would have to conclude based on John 6:37 that Felix was not drawn. Thus is why He did not come.[/quote']

Act 24:24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
Act 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Friend, when a preacher presents you with the Gospel and you begin to consciously "reason" about the Righteousness of a Holy God, Temperance(contrasted with your own wicked sin) and Judgement (of sin and punishment in Hell) and then you get so scared that you tremble. that is being drawn by the Holy Ghost.

The man made a conscious choice to put it off. He did not want to give up the world just yet.

• Members

He may well have been drawn, but being drawn does not mean the Holy Spirit will force one to come against their own free will.

So it surely seems that God was drawing Him, but like many others, he rejected, put it off to another time, perhaps to long, them died in his sins.

No where in the Bible does it declare that God, Jesus, nor the Holy Spirit will over ride ones free will.

Of course there are those who claim that the elect will be given so much grace they cannot refuse, which is not taught in the Bible.

How would you explain John 6:37:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

What does "Shall come" mean? If someone is drawn by the Father, will they come, or can they make a choice not to come? What does the Scripture say?

Also, to address freewill, could you please define what you mean by "freewill" as I have heard many definitions on what it actually is.

• Members

Agrippa nor Festus did not do the 'shall come' but yet they were drawn, and of his own free will he chose to reject Jesus as Savior.

If he had come Jesus would have in no wise cast him out.

25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
Acts 24:25 (KJV)

28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
Acts 26:28 (KJV)

Surely even you, if your very old, have seen these same situations, where one almost comes to Christ, but at the last moment does not.

Perhaps you stood many times during the invitations just nearly stepping out and going forward, but didn't.

As earlier said, many refuse Jesus for they feel they will have to give up to much.

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37:

Security, for him that cometh will no wise be cast out.