• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Just For Jim (new stuff for morning coffee)

• Members

Have you ever heard of the 2 by 2s? I see them as a cult because of there denying Jesus Christ's deity. I perceive them as a threat to young (20s) working people. Young professionals who are seeking 'something' but have been deceived into believing they have no time for "Not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together..." I know a young working couple who have been drawn in to this. Now, beyond prayer and without offending them or alienating them how to pull them out?

• Administrators

I have never heard of 2by2s. Consequently I have no idea regarding their doctrine. As far as "pulling them out", this is often difficult with cult  people. Cults can be very crafty and persuasive. If you are not a well grounded Christian, well versed in Scripture, they will run right over you, using Scripture to prove their argument. Jehovah's Witnesses are very good at this.

My only suggestion would be along the lines of taking the time to closely examine what they believe and once you are sure of your information, refute it using Scripture and prayer only.

One word of caution would be to be very careful in examining what they believe. If you are not a mature, well grounded Christian it is easy to  be led astray.  Gal. 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 

A second word of caution might be to make sure your attempted intervention is because of a Godly concern for their spiritual welfare, and from a heart of love on your part. To argue doctrine from a position of pride, or to simply prove a point will most likely fail.

• Members

Some years ago I read an article about them, it was called The Sect Without a Name.

I cannot remember much about what was said about them.  I had never heard of them before, and I have never met any of them.

There is an article about them here.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/two-by-two-church-menu.htm#start-

Edited by Invicta

• Members

There is a long article on the group here.  http://www.tellingthetruth.info/publications_index/johnsonbenton.php Their refusal to give themselves a name is similar to the early Brethren who just said they were a group of Christians worshipping together.  In  a government survey of new religious groups about 1939,  The budding brethren refused to give themselves a name so the governmenr commissioner recorded tem as Catholics, not Roman.

• Members

Thanks Jim & Invicta.

Jim, I take the cautions very seriously. Yes, I've been familiarizing myself with their primary tenets. There is a lot of information about them on the web. No, I will not proceed with a goal of pride or personal gratification. I've talked it over with my pastor too and plan to meet with him and discuss the cult after Christmas.

INVICTA, I visited the 2nd site you mentioned previously and they have a fact sheet which gives a breakdown of the tenets of this cult. http://www.tellingthetruth.info/home/factsheet.php The parts I have immediate problems with (be sure to note 'How They Differ... is What They Do NOT Believe)...

That Jesus:

• came to be a perfect example, pattern minister or way-shower
  • life is equal or more important than His death
  • created a way to Heaven through His death; and a way on earth by his life; which is one and the same as their fellowship.

HOW THEY DIFFER FROM 
    ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN BELIEFS

In What They Do NOT Believe

• in the Triune God
  • in the deity of Jesus; That Jesus is God the Son
  • in the deity of the Holy Spirit; God the Holy Spirit
  • the Holy Spirit permanently indwells every believer
  • in the finished work of Christ
  • that Jesus came to be our substitute in His life and death
  • that man is born in sin
  • in eternal security
  • in the priesthood of all believers
  • conversion can take place through the written Word without human agency
  • one can know they are saved in this lifetime
  • salvation can be attained without going through their ministers
  • in total reliance upon Jesus' shed blood for salvation
  • that salvation is an unconditionally free gift of God
  • in salvation solely by grace through faith in Jesus, not of works (i.e. Jesus' Way is their fellowship)

• 3 weeks later...