• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ministry in Western Australia

• Members

I did mean to add to the quarantine post, that it hasn't managed to keep out the cults, false religions, and other spiritual wolves.

Unfortunately, we have most everything here, but that is part of the price you pay for freedom of religion.

Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of "Spiritual Quarantine" that could be put up so that people are not exposed to the false religions?

But even then, you would end up with people who start out OK, and end up on a power trip. It is easy to quarantine against Rabies, because nobody in the whole world think it is a good thing, but part of the problem with false teaching is that some people think it is right teaching (otherwise they wouldn't follow it!), and if the wrong people got to thinking false teaching was right teaching, the the right teachers would find themselves being accused of false teaching and would be quarantined for teaching the right things because they are accused of teaching the wrong things by the people who like the wrong things being taught......... I think.......

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

I did mean to add to the quarantine post, that it hasn't managed to keep out the cults, false religions, and other spiritual wolves.

Unfortunately, we have most everything here, but that is part of the price you pay for freedom of religion.

Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of "Spiritual Quarantine" that could be put up so that people are not exposed to the false religions?

But even then, you would end up with people who start out OK, and end up on a power trip. It is easy to quarantine against Rabies, because nobody in the whole world think it is a good thing, but part of the problem with false teaching is that some people think it is right teaching (otherwise they wouldn't follow it!), and if the wrong people got to thinking false teaching was right teaching, the the right teachers would find themselves being accused of false teaching and would be quarantined for teaching the right things because they are accused of teaching the wrong things by the people who like the wrong things being taught......... I think.......

I've often thought of the spiritual benefits of living on a deserted island. Still...man is man...children would be born (presumably)...and false teaching would eventually come into play. Best to teach correct doctrine to those we can and do what we can to proliferate it. Still...I'm a deserted island kind of guy. LOL! : )

• Moderators
22 hours ago, DaveW said:

Cool! Where did you visit, if you can remember?

The ships come into Fremantle harbour, unless they are too big, which one or two Carriers are.

I went on a few tours of US ships in port, once on a private tour of the Enterprise with a couple of officers who came to our church. That was cool, because we got to under the ropes into places that others were not allowed to.

First time my ship was small enough to pull into port at Freemantle, but the second time we were too big and had to anchor out and use liberty boats; it wasn't a carrier, but it was a very large supply and refueling ship, too long to tie up. I think the name of the little town I went to on the train was Medford? Sound right? I don't recall where the Royal Show was held at-came across it by accident.

I remember going to a German restaurant called...I don't remember the name now. Wolfgang 2? Something like that. Some shipmates and I took my aunt and uncle out for their anniversary, as thanks for all their hospitality to us all. I recall their neighbor was an American who had been living there for about 20 years and was with law enforcement there in Perth-he really liked it, except for the restrictions on guns. Also visited a frontier-style town, I think York? What we would call an old west style town.

I know an IFB pastor who used to be in Australia, but not sure where he worked, Sehmish, can't recall his first name. He is a missionary in Thailand now. I've heard him speak at confrences in San Diego quite a few times.  Our pastor in San Diego told the story of his preaching at Bro. Sehmish's church in Australia, and how bewildering it was-he was kind of a fiery preacher and the church gave a lot of "AMEN!'s" and he was not ready for the very quiet way the churches respond there. Funny, not long after that, our pastor became more subdued in his preacing style, but had just as much power.

• Members

Medford I don't know - one train line ends at Midland. 

But York is a beautiful little town - an historic town is what we would call it.

I am surprised that a resupply ship was too big, because the port can take all but the biggest stuff, but hey, it was your ship so I guess you would know. :lol:

I can only remember three ships being too big - the Enterprise, another carrier I don't remember the name of,  and a battleship I think - might have been Missouri? 

I know Wayne Shemish - he pastored a church in Brisbane, Queensland for a good number of years before going as a missionary to Thailand. We get their prayer letters.

I also heard your Pastor preach at a conference there.

And yes, Aussie churches are quiet in that regard. American visitors often comment on it.

As a preacher you have to ask for a response, and then it is subdued. It is part of the deal here.

And most Aussies are not interested in preachers who are just loud - it is not so much how it is said as what is said that counts to most Aussies.

You can be loud, but you better have both something worthwhile to say and a reason to say it loudly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎2‎日 at 10:55 AM, DaveW said:

My thought is to have a camper bus set up to travel between the communities in the dry season (can't travel up there once the rains hit) and stop for a few days at a time at each community, preaching and teaching.

Dave,

If you every are able to travel to those Aboriginal communities in the NW let all of us know. I am sure that any of your travels, and meetings, would be a blessing to all of us.

Alan

• Moderators

Parts of Australian culture, as you describe them, sound similar to our Canadian culture (at least in comparison to the US). Our churches are quiet too, and people appreciate their privacy - when door-knocking, you can pretty much expect either a 'not interested' or a quick 'thanks and goodbye'. The relations between the native and 'white' populations sound similar as well (we had abusive residential schools that took many kids away too. Basically messed up the entire family structure for our native families - and most in the northwest haven't recovered yet).  Thank you for this thread - it's very interesting stuff!