• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ministry in Western Australia

• Administrators

Brother David. What a wonderful exposition of Aussie culture, religious reality and life in general in your corner of the world. Thank you for taking the time to write out these things that we here in the US would have no way of knowing. I can see where American missionaries to Australia would have a hard time of it unless they took the time and advice of resident Aussies.

I especially liked the parts about "no suits and ties". That is the way it was when I lived in Alaska. Dress for church was casual, but clean, modest and non-offensive.

• Members

I think all of us want to thank you for your fine exposition of Aussie culture.

Almost all missionaires have to learn the culture that they will be living in and I think that your thoughts that you put to the pen would benefit anybody going to Austrailia as a missionary. Looking forward to anything else you would like to add.

• Members

Pastor Markle, I have been the Pastor at this church for around 7 years, after Pastoring another church for about 8 years, after being the associate at that church for three years - under an American missionary by the way. One of the ones that does "get it".

I really should say that there are many US missionaries here that do "get it" by the way, and we need people to come here as missionaries, because Aussie men are hard to get moving on it.

I wish we had enough men of faith and commitment to not need missionaries to come here but that is simply not the truth.

I know of several towns that have unpastored independent baptist churches,  and I know of many many many towns throughout this nation that have no IB church at all. It is rare to find a town smaller than 30000 people that HAS  an IB church.

The issue with culture here I think is exacerbated by the fact that initial impressions are that we are fairly "American" in many ways, but once you scratch the surface you find under the paint is a different beast.

In totally different cultures it is easier to see that a different approach is required.

• Members

Our pastor's brother-in-law pastors a church on the east side (Queensland).  I believe it is an IB church, and when they come back to visit here, it's always a blessing to hear him preach.  I believe all 6 of our pastor's brother-in-law and sister's children are Aussie born.  Thank you for sharing about your country; fascinating!

Edited by WellWithMySoul

• Members

Something that Aussies get asked a lot is about Kangaroos.

No, they don't generally run down the city streets.

Think of them like funny deer that stand up on their back legs and you get the idea.

Do you see deer strolling down your main streets? if you do, you are likely in a fairly small town, and that is about the only time you will see a Roo in a main street here too.

Some of the little, out of the way towns would see them, but in reality, you won't see one in the city or the burbs. Country drive and you see them. I could take you for a drive from my house and be almost guaranteed to find some roos within half an hour, but I know where they are.

Go to certain national park areas for a BBQ and you are almost mobbed by the Roos looking for a handout.

And whilst Roos are generally nice, they can be seriously dangerous. Long, thick, sharp claws on their hind legs, they balance on their tail and kick out at you with those strong back legs and they can rip your stomach out. Rare, and normally only if you threaten one, but people certainly have been injured.

The average grey or "euro" kangaroo is only around 4 feet tall, but the big Reds can grow to be as tall as a man - I remember one in a national park that we used to see regularly that was an easy 7 feet tall when he bothered to stand up. But they are like deer in that too - mostly they are gentle and cute, but if you threaten them you can find yourself in trouble. They mostly eat grass. And a big group of roos is not a herd or a flock, but it is called a "Mob". Yep, you see a Mob of roos in that bushland over there.

Emus: most Australians have never seen one in the wild. You really have to be a traveller to see them out there. They are funny as though. Strange, tall, big bodied, with long skinny legs and long skinny neck, but they run like the wind. I remember on one trip we had two Emus running along the road with three or four chicks going flat out. I can't remember the speed they were doing (I was a youngster at that time) but I know they were on the move. we must have followed them for a km before they turned off the road. These things will eat anything they get into their beaks.

The chicks have light stripes running horizontally along their bodies, but the adults are just a messy brown sort of colour.

Wombats: again, most people have never seen one in the wild. They are just big lumps of fur covered muscle with short stocky legs. Can grow to be about the size of a medium pig. They look like they would be serious cuddle bunnies, but they have sharp claws and big teeth, and will let you know with certainty that you should not try to pat them...... They eat roots, grubs... pretty much anything they can find underground - they are burrowing animals.

Koalas: they are not Koala bears, and are not bears at all - that is a marketing exercise that got out of hand. They are also not as nice and cuddly as you have been led to believe. In fact, most of them are smelly, bad tempered little things, about the size of a 8 month old baby I guess. These dudes have strong, surprisingly long arms with very sharp claws. They are tree climbers, so the claws are perfect for that, but they will damage you very nicely as well if you try to pick one up. These guys are very fussy eaters, eating only the leaves from one specific kind of Eucalyptus tree. They also rarely drink water, getting their "Water needs" from those leaves - if you know what a gum tree leaf is like you will be amazed at that piece of trivia.

Echidnas: people think of them like a porcupine, but they are actually very different. Their spines are much thicker and stiffer then a Porcupine's quills and in general they are a bit smaller than a full grown Porcupine. They also lay eggs, but then feed the young milk once they hatch. They are of the class "Monotremes" of which there are only two members. Again, most people have never seen one in the wild. They are incredibly shy, and will ball up into a little ball with those spines pointing out in all directions. They eat ants mostly. Sometimes called "spiny anteaters" but they are not related to the class of critters called anteaters.

The other member of the monotreme class is the Platypus (Pronounced plat-a-puss). This is the strangest critter on the face of the whole earth. It has a tail like a beaver, a bill like a duck, webbed feet, poisonous spikes in its back legs, is covered with fur, swims in rivers, digs a burrow in the river banks for a home, lays eggs, then feeds its young with milk. The first one caught and sent back to England for examination was believed to be a hoax, and there are the marks of where they tried to find the stitching joining the different animal parts together. But God joined the parts so well, that they never did find the stitching......... These are one of the most elusive animals in Australia, and most Australians have never seen one outside of a zoo. Many Australians have never seen one inside a zoo either.

There are plenty of other small critters - a number of different marsupials ranging in size from mouse to small dog size, and a good number of lizards and snakes, and many and varied bugs and biteys.

And flies. We have flies. in Summer we have more flies. One of the reasons why we know this is a great place is that a billion flies couldn't possibly be wrong....

Dangerous thingies

There is this impression that Australia is full of dangerous things, but in reality this is an incredibly safe place to live.

We do have the most venemous land snake in the world (the inland taipan), but it has only ever been seen by about three people, and as far as I know nobody ahs ever been bitten by one. Apparently we have something like 7 of the most venemous snakes in the world (Depending on which list you look at), and WA has most of them, but apart from tiger snakes, Dugites, and western Brown snakes, I have never even seen the others.

And we do have the infamous red back spider - these things are everywhere, but they hide away and even the few people I have known who have been bitten have not suffered from it - it hurts, but it doesn't normally kill you. 

The real dangerous spider is the Funnel web spider. These are actually aggressive, but they mostly live in NSW so I don't care.... Actually, I have never seen one in all my time over east. But if you do get bitten by one of them you need to get to the hospital.

What else is there that is dangerous over here?

Blue ringed octopus: small occy that lives in shallow rock pools on the coast. They don't normally have the blue rings - they only show when he feels threatened, and then they look like 1cm wide neon rings. Beautiful. But if you get bitten by him you will need help. The poison shuts down your autonomic systems, which means he paralyses your breathing basically. There is no antivenom - the only treatment is CPR until the venom wears off. Cute when calm, beautiful when angry, deadly at all times. But I have only ever two or three, and you really have to either step on him or pick him up to get into trouble. Rock walking with shoes on is the best thing, and they are not common anyway.

The only other really dangerous thing is the Salt water Croc, but as I said earlier, they are only in the North of Australia, and not many people live there. These guys are seriously aggressive though. Not like the American Alligator, which I am led to believe are actually pretty passive as far as people are concerned (Not that you want to try to pat one). But stupid people ignore the signs every year while travelling up north and get eaten by Crocs. You just don't swim in the oceans up north. Or the rivers. 

In reality, the average Aussie never sees anything dangerous up close, and even people like myself who like camping and getting away from it all, don't see dangerous stuff very often.

Oh year, I forgot to mention the Goanna. This is a "monitor lizard", and comes in various forms, but they are fairly long legged, relatively thin lizards. They are fast moving and they scavenge your campsite whenever you leave. Any food stuff you leave within range they will have. These things can get to be over 1 meter in body length, and then they have about that much tail as well. Think small freshwater crocodile size and you have the idea. 6 foot long tip to tip, and at that size about a foot around the tummy. Not dangerous to people UNLESS you try to grab one, then they will scratch you up with their claws. I have never known anyone to be bitten by one.

This is actually a far less dangerous place than the US where you have bears, mountain lions, and Rattlers.

Seriously though folks, you can go bushwalking pretty much anywhere in Australia and not run into anything that wants to eat you or kill you. Except the top end, those crocs....

I thought about putting in pictures of the various critters, but I think if you are that interested you can google the names I have bolded.

None of this has any spiritual implications that I can think of, but it does answer some common questions that Aussies get asked.

• Members

We had an Emu show up at our house about a year ago! I "think" it was still fairly young...about 4 -5 feet tall. I was surprised at how big its feet were...and those claws/talons on its feet looked like they could do some damage. It was gentle though and wanted to be right with us while we were outside with it. It would actually "crouch" down and sit still while we petted it.

We tried calling around to see if any local people knew of anyone who raised Emus...we found a couple of places, but they assured us they weren't missing any...plus, they weren't really that close to us...about 25 miles away. It stayed on our porch all day and never tried to leave. It would go out in the yard, but it would return back to the porch.

We called anyone we could think of to report the "found Emu", my wife posted it on Facebook with pictures, but we never heard from anyone...

My thoughts then were that someone must have raised it, decided they no longer wanted it, so they just dumped it out somewhere to get rid of it...not sure if that's the case though.  

We had a family friend who said they'd take it...so we "owned" an Emu for one day...and our friend came and picked it up that evening.

I wish the Lord would allow us to move to Australia! We already have Emu experience... : )

• Members

I heard some time ago that there was a population of Emus somewhere in the US that resulted from a farm that went bust and just released them. I can't remember where it was, but maybe this was a "wild" one from that?

And Yep, Emu's can do a bit of damage if they are scared.

Interesting fact about Emus: their knees are backwards, so when they kick at you it looks really strange.

Another interesting fact about Emus: A lot of products come from Emus: Emu oil is used to make various cosmetics, candles, soaps, rubbing oils, and other stuff that I can't remember; Emu meat is quite nice (but not commonly eaten); Emu leather is beautiful and soft; Emu feathers are also really soft, but I don't know what they use them for.

There is actually an old Aussie "insult" that goes "I hope all your chooks grow into Emus and kick your dunny door down". (Note: Chooks are chickens, and a Dunny is an old outside toilet. I apologise if that offends the sensibilities of some. It is today used as a lighthearted "insult" to a friend and meant in a lighthearted way.)

This is not considered in any way offensive in Australia today.

Kangaroo is also really nice to eat, and it is more readily available in the shops than Emu, but my wife and kids won't eat it. Not cheap either.

We are one of the only countries on earth that eat their national animal and bird symbols - both the Emu and the Kangaroo are on the Australian coat of arms, and also on many restaurant menus....

And apparently neither of them can walk backwards, which means Australia can only advance, never retreat.

Or maybe we are just too dumb to give up on a fight! :lol:

• Members

Something else that is interesting about this place.

The whole country is surrounded with vast expanses of water, and this natural barrier keeps a lot of diseases out.

There is a mite that affect honey bees for instance, and we don't have it here. You can't bring honey into Australia with you on the plane - you will be asked to bin it at the gate - because we don't want any chance of it affecting our bees.

We don't have Rabies, so your dog will be put into quarantine for months until it is cleared of that (and a few other things I don't know the details of).

There are actually a lot of things that you can not bring with you to Australia because of quarantine laws, and it is even more strict for coming to WA.

There is a huge bit of desert running down the middle of the country, so there are some things that are in the other states, that the desert keeps out of WA.

When you drive from "over east" to WA you get stopped at the border and you are asked to open your car so they can check for any fruit, veges, honey, and a few other things.

If you don't want to be checked you only choice is to go back, but since you have just come across 1000km of road since the last place larger than a fuel stop, you just let them check. I know to some of you that would seem like an invasion of privacy, but I for one don't want those horrible bugs and diseases here, so I am happy to follow the rules.

• Moderators

Visited Perth twice while in the Navy-beautiful place! Had the blessing of being married to an Aussie at the time, whose family just happened to live there, so they met me at the ship when we pulled in and took me home and took care of me the entire time I was there-never had to as much as spend a dime, except for one day when they had some things to do so I took off on my own. Jumped on the train and just travelled through some smaller towns to get out of the tourist areas, ended up at the Royal Show, a kind of county fair, and fooled around there a while. Then visited a small town that could have been anywhere in America, except for driving on the other side of the road, where I bought some souvenirs for my daughters and wife, (stuffed echidnas for the girls and opal earrings for the wife, spent about 10% of what I would have in Perth).  

The only Emus I have seen were here in Herlong, CA-a family in our church raised them and ostriches.

• Members
7 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Visited Perth twice while in the Navy-beautiful place! Had the blessing of being married to an Aussie at the time, whose family just happened to live there, so they met me at the ship when we pulled in and took me home and took care of me the entire time I was there-never had to as much as spend a dime, except for one day when they had some things to do so I took off on my own. Jumped on the train and just travelled through some smaller towns to get out of the tourist areas, ended up at the Royal Show, a kind of county fair, and fooled around there a while. Then visited a small town that could have been anywhere in America, except for driving on the other side of the road, where I bought some souvenirs for my daughters and wife, (stuffed echidnas for the girls and opal earrings for the wife, spent about 10% of what I would have in Perth).  

The only Emus I have seen were here in Herlong, CA-a family in our church raised them and ostriches.

Cool! Where did you visit, if you can remember?

The ships come into Fremantle harbour, unless they are too big, which one or two Carriers are.

I went on a few tours of US ships in port, once on a private tour of the Enterprise with a couple of officers who came to our church. That was cool, because we got to under the ropes into places that others were not allowed to.