• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Old guitar pick

• Moderators

Large triangular flat picks were my Dad's preference. Several companies made them, they are still available but under less names (I think you can find them under the Fender brand). I have his 1967 Silvertone guitar and it had 3 of those picks in the case.

• Members

I've never seen one like that.. the ones I have are kind of heart shaped. I do have a felt one some where.. it is rectangular shape.. it doesn't make that plastic sound on the strings.. I went to just using my fingers when I quit taking lessons... my teacher was right, if you ever stop using a pick you will never go back to one.. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Rosie said:

. I went to just using my fingers when I quit taking lessons... my teacher was right, if you ever stop using a pick you will never go back to one.. 

I use either. Fingers or flat pick. Since I don't have fingernails (kids, let this be a lesson to you -- stop biting your fingernails!!) there is a MAJOR tonal difference between my fingerstyle and flatpicking.

• Members

I almost always use my fingers when playing my guitar. I tried using a pick years ago but just couldn't get used to it.

When I was young my Dad would let me play with his old acoustic guitar. Later in life after I got saved my older brother found a guitar in someone's garbage and gave it to me. I have played it ever since. An old Martin Sigma Guitar. It may be a cheapy but I love it. It had steel strings but I eventually put the right ones on it that made it sound so much better.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Moderators

When I was 12 I asked my Dad to teach me guitar, he didn't even give me a chance. He just said "It's hard on your fingers, you won't stay with it".

After I was grown and had kids, I asked him again. He said, "I don't know that much and wouldn't be able to teach it."

At age 30 (not knowing anyone that played) I sought to teach myself with a couple of books (pre-internet). I manage to accompany my wife when she sings. Good enough for me.

• Moderators

One of my sons pulled out a guitar so I grabbed mine. We just goofed off some and played a few songs. He never tells me what he's starting or how long he plans to go with it (# of times through). It got videoed and reduced to several short clips. I entertained the idea of posting some but only if there's any interest (if so, remember you can scream NO MORE!!! at any time). All songs were impromptu and unrehearsed, they are complete with flaws, warts, cracks and other blemishes).