• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rod and Staff

Rosie

• Members

I'm sure the jury is still out, but I would say that a "staff" would normally be a "comfort" for the shepherd. He would lean on it, steady himself over rough, rocky terrain (like the Middle East). A rod or staff is a must for diverting sheep out of the shepherd's way and both are likewise vital for self protection...from the rams. But for protecting the sheep? I would say not normally. David did that but we must understand this was a miracle. God was in on that one. Around here, coyotes sometimes come outside the perimeter fence at night, but they are so wary you never see them. A wild wolf or coyote is NOT going to let a man get near enough to hit it with a stick. A sling "slung at a hair's breadth" might be a different story but not a stick unless ther shepherd could run about 40 mph which is highly doubtful.

My opinion, on Psalm 23, is that at least some of these metaphors are OPPOSITES. The Lord, the Good Shepherd of Psalm 23 "giveth His life for the sheep" whereas an earthly shepherd always sacrifices the lives of sheep for himself. So, instead of the "rod and staff" benefiting the shepherd, the Lord's "rod and staff" benefit us. I have sold lambs to Palestinian Arabs who took the lamb, held it down, and slit the sheep's throat killing it by exanguination (sp). This is no doubt the way David, or one of the Levites would kill a sheep during the time of Psalm 23: it gave it's life for the shepherd. So an Old Testament Jewish shepherd, reading this Psalm, should have been awed by the holy and gracious words. Jesus gave His life for the sheep and Jesus' "rod and staff" are for us: not for Himself. 

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
1 hour ago, Rosie said:

I appreciate all of these answers so much and I have learned alot of about the rod and staff but what I really want to know is what rod and staff mean in Psalm 23:4...

Remembering that these are mentioned in the context of the shepherd, all other definitions of rod and staff only serve to confuse.

Sheep are herding animals, and all herding animals naturally look to a leader to keep them safe and guide them properly. They will regularly look to the leader and as long as he is there and calm, the sheep do not worry. They are comforted by a calm and confident leader.

In domesticated sheep, and particularly in the middle east, the sheep look to their shepherd. 

The staff and the rod are his tools which he uses to guide and protect them.

The Lord is our Shepherd.  When we look to Him, we can know that He is equipped to protect us, to guide us, and care for us.

The rod and staff in this Psalm are pictures of that fact - He loves us, protects, and provides for us. If wenlook to him, we know we have nothing to worry about, therefore we can be comforted.

The rod and staff are not direct individual pictures of direct individual realities, but more akin to the principles behind them.

The primary way the Lord guides and protects us is His Word.

2 Tim 3

16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Hope that helps a bit more. 

• Members

A rod is used to chasten and punish, or as a symbol thereof, consistently throughout the Word of God.

1 Samuel 714, Job 9:34, Psalm 2:9, Psalm 89:32, Proverbs 10:13, Proverbs 13:24, Proverbs 22:15, Proverbs 23:13, 14, Proverbs 26:3, Revelation 2:27, Revelation 12:5, Revelation 19:15

• Members

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/staff?s=t

staff1

[staf, stahf]

6.something that sustains or supports: bread is the staff of life.

This meaning is found in the Word of God.

Psalm 105:16 Moreover he called for a famine upon the land: he brake the whole staff of bread.  

H

Hebrews 11:21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.

• Members

I like the great size of this one - In 1 Samuel 17:7

"And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron: and one bearing a shield went before him."

Goliath held a hefty staff of a spear - the spearhead weighed about 15 lbs! 

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

I also occasionally use the crook of my staff to catch a ewe by the neck or to hook a big ram by the horn as he tries to run by me. It doesn't work to grab a sheep by the leg, I've tried. My staff also can throw a small lamb off-balance long enough to catch it for marking, but I've found that a big dip-net works much better.

• Members

:I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the "rod" represents the Word of God and the "staff" represents the Holy Spirit. The Word of God corrects, chastises us and keeps us on the right path comforting us with the Truth, while the Spirit leads us, enables for us fellowship with the Father, provides discernment, and power to do God's will and gives the peace which passes all understanding. Both give us comfort like no other.  Here are some verses. Psalm 119:50, Psalm 119:165, and John 14:26 But I could be wrong.