• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sexual Abuse by Catholic Priests

• Members

With the release of the film, "Spotlight," earlier this year, many people who were victimized, in their youth, by priests, are coming forward about their abuse.  For the priests that are still alive to be punished, I believe that this is a good thing; however, what about those who were abused by priests that have since died?  Can anything be done for them?  Can they still file charges against the RCC itself?

• Members
18 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

With the release of the film, "Spotlight," earlier this year, many people who were victimized, in their youth, by priests, are coming forward about their abuse.  For the priests that are still alive to be punished, I believe that this is a good thing; however, what about those who were abused by priests that have since died?  Can anything be done for them?  Can they still file charges against the RCC itself?

I can't answer your question, but I have no doubt that any other organisation that indulged in such sexual abuse would be closed down.

I have personally known 2 people who were abused in Catholic organisations.  The first was a friend who was put into a RC orphanage in a wild part of Ireland after his parents both died when he was aged one year.  He  told of beatings and sexual abuse by the monks.  He said that the most feared were the Jesuits as they asked questions on the faith.  If they did not like your answer you would gt a beating by the monks, each of whom had a heavy leather strap called a tawse under his habit which which they would beat the boys. The Jesuits would come in wearing their black robes with their heads bowed and their arms folded on their chest with each hand tucked into the opposite sleeve.  They would ask a question and if they didn't like the answer a monk would come and give you a beating.  Not that you gave a wrong answer, you had to know the creed from the age of six, it was if you did not show them the respect they thought they should have as Jesuits. he said the Jesuits did not normal carry out the beatings themselves but on one occasion he saw two Jesuits beat a boy to death.    They were taught that their was another religion called protestant who were evil men.  They spoke only Gaelic and Latin, and he hadn't heard English till he left at the age of 16. and at that time he didn't know there was a difference between men an women.  

The second was a foster child we once had who at one time was put in a Catholic home and was abused there, it was later closed down.