• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello, I'm new student of the bible and this forum

• Members

Hello members,

I was a practicing christian as a teenager but fell away shortly after enlisting in the Navy.  I am 41 years old now and I have been pleading with Lord for the past 2 years to fill me with the Holy Spirit so I would be drawn to the Father through the reading of his word.

I have a ton of questions.  What lead me to this forum?  The past 6 months I have been studying the bible daily.  That lead me to research on the Internet what would be the best bible version for me to commit to for study.  In researching that topic I found this forum.  

I read both the nasb and the kjv.  I'm not even an amature bible scholar so my only reason for prefering the kjv has been that it reads so poetically with such a fatherly feel to it; which, is how I imagine God's word should read. 

What I hope to gain from this forum is more than just the "because I like it" reason for my choice.  

• Administrators

Welcome Michael, glad to have you with us. I think you may learn a lot from reading past posts and can certainly learn more just by asking. I think you will find folks here more than helpful. We also look forward to learning from you as you progress in your walk with The Lord.

• Moderators

Welcome Michael, from another MIchael!

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:13 PM, Michael Owens said:

Hello members,

I was a practicing christian as a teenager but fell away shortly after enlisting in the Navy.  I am 41 years old now and I have been pleading with Lord for the past 2 years to fill me with the Holy Spirit so I would be drawn to the Father through the reading of his word.  My testimony is similar to yours-I grew up in church, saved at a young age, but wandered as an older teen, joined the Navy for ten years and fell away for part of that time. Got out, lost everything, but the Lord used it to purge me and prepare me for ministry, though it took another 9 years for me to be 9relatively) prepared to begin as a pastor. 

I have a ton of questions.  What lead me to this forum?  The past 6 months I have been studying the bible daily.  That lead me to research on the Internet what would be the best bible version for me to commit to for study.  In researching that topic I found this forum.  What led you to the forum? Maybe the Lord, though we're  an imperfect lot here. But you can certainly gain much here if you pay prayerful attention, ask questions, and verify all with scripture.  There is a lot of wisdom here, some questionable things, (because we're all human and in different places in our walk), so take things with a little grain of salt, and don't take anything personal. Sometimes we, like anyone, can get full of zeal and sometimes speak with a foot firmly implanted in our mouth. BUt we all ove each other here and we have a good time.

I read both the nasb and the kjv.  I'm not even an amature bible scholar so my only reason for prefering the kjv has been that it reads so poetically with such a fatherly feel to it; which, is how I imagine God's word should read.  Stick to the KJV-there are some very good studies and posts on the subject-in the forums, KJV is all we allow for references, though you certainly can post from another version if you are making comparisons or asking questions.  

What I hope to gain from this forum is more than just the "because I like it" reason for my choice.  

So go through some old posts, read what's there, look for things that interest you. Also you can go through the "Unread Content, for current conversations and feel free to chime in with comments or questions. But always with politemness and kindness.

By the way, what did you do in the Navy? I was a Signalman, then spent my last three years at NAS Miramar in San Diego, (a long time ago, you might gather, since that's now a Marine air base), as base police.

• Administrators

Hello again Michael. You said in your opening post that you were a "practicing christian" as a teenager. This statement is vague enough that it immediately genders a question that should be addressed. That question and it's answer would go a long way toward our being able to help you with any questions you may have, or advice we may be able to give.

The question is this: Were you saved as a teenager and do you have assurance of salvation?