• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question about Vista

• Members

Thank you, BroMatt. I tend to agree. Companies are trying whatever they can these days to make a buck. I heard one salesman tell 2 ladies that Norton and McAfee could take care of some viruses but that the product their store sold was better. And then a saleman told someone else that the free ones like AVG aren't as good as "real software disks" like Norton or McAfee and that the person needed to buy Norton from them. :bonk:

I also agree with the never say never about Mac. I think Mac is really good and probably made better but the more people start using it, the more tempting it will be for someone to try and mess with it.

• Administrators

Jess, we bought a laptop from Best Buy, and they took care of things for us free. We haven't had any trial windows pop up. The computers come with Vista, but you can purchase XP if you want. We didn't, and so far haven't had any problems with Vista. I'm still getting familiar with it, but I really don't think I'm going to find a lot that I hate about it. I would assume that you could remove stuff yourself.

I bought an Acer a little over a year ago. They wanted to "optimize" it' date=' but I did not let them. I have not had a problem with speed. I do think mine would do better if I put more memory in, as I only have 1 GB. But I have been rather happy. I know what Kathy is saying about a mac and no viruses. I have been told you can do the same by taking windows off and installing linux. My dad runs a computer on linux and realy likes it. But I question the "ever" part. The more people that leave windows, the more tempting the mac and linux opperating systems will get, until one day people will decide to start making viruses for them as well. JMO.[/quote']

I've heard that Linux is really good, too. It definitely beats Windoze! :cool

Btw, have you had any problems with your Acer? I bought an Acer in August 2006 and I had to send it in a year ago to get the screen fixed. I've noticed that Acer laptops aren't really popular anymore.

• Members
The salesmen at Best Buy and Circuit City say that if you buy a computer with Vista, the only way to get all the annoying trials, ads and other junk off it and get it to run faster (a brand new computer!!! :puzzled: ) is to pay them to "optimize" it.

Is this true??? Why can't the consumer delete the trials and ads for themselves?

Sounds like they're trying to con you. My computer's Vista, and while it did come with garbage trials, I was able to remove them easily.

• Members
because a Mac runs Windows Vista BETTER than a PC does. :smile

2 notes on that one:

1. That's because a PC of the same hardware as the Mac will run Windows just as well. A cheaper PC won't. The main reason PCs are cheaper than Macs is the Macs in stores are always the latest and the greated while the cheap PCs on sale always have lower end hardware. If you buy a top of the line PC at the same price as a Mac, it will perform about the same as well. (You can make a Hackintosh these days out of a PC because the hardware is so similar, I did, just for fun)

2. You will still be able to get a virus on Windows if you install it on a Mac. Mac OS won't get infected, but Windows is just as bad on Mac as it is on PC in terms of security. If you must use Windows software on a different operating system, you can use Wine (DarWine for Mac), or if that doesn't work, use a virtual machine running Windows. It's safer in that Wine doesn't get infected by most viruses becuase it's not 100% compatible with Windows and a virtual machine, if infected, will cause less damage than running Windows straight on the hardware (if you set it up right).

• Members

Perhaps this is what the people at the store are getting at. I use the word perhaps because I don't know this for a fact.

Maybe they can get rid of all the free trial stuff, and if you even have to reformat your computer for what ever reason it will not put all the free trial stuff on your computer once again.

A few months back I had to reformat mine, once again I had to go thru and get the free trail junk off again.

I don't remember who it is, but I think I was reading an article on PC World on their web site that one of the major computer makers are offering computers without all the garbage added on. And an article on how to get a new computer with Windows XP, Seems they said the stores are not very upfront about the fact that you can still get XP.

• Members

So far I have not had any problems with my Acer. I use it pretty much every day. I bought it for a work computer and have programs on it for designing houses and figuring all the cuts for cabinet doors. It does a very nice job. Of course, like I said, it could use more memory. My mom has a Acer desk top. I am not sure why, but my brother said he thinks it has some slight problems. He told me why, but I don't remember.

• Members

My Vista somehow got corrupted a month or so ago and the hard drive had to be wiped. I ordered the backup disk, but for a week, had to use Ubuntu. I really wasn't able to do very much with it. I wound up using my wife's laptop (my old one) with XP. When I finally got the re-install disk and put Vista back on it was soooooooooooo nice.

Linux simpy doesn't offer what Vista has.

• Members

Your computer did not come with a disc nor a recovery section on your hard drive.

Mine had no disc, but it has at least 2 way to get it right, one is a none destructive recover the other is a destructive recovery.

The first one keeps many of your setting but still looses many things you have installed but not all, the second one puts it back just as it was when received.

• Members
My Vista somehow got corrupted a month or so ago and the hard drive had to be wiped. I ordered the backup disk, but for a week, had to use Ubuntu. I really wasn't able to do very much with it. I wound up using my wife's laptop (my old one) with XP. When I finally got the re-install disk and put Vista back on it was soooooooooooo nice.

Linux simpy doesn't offer what Vista has.

Well, that's true. Linux can't do 100% of what Windows and Mac can, Mac can't do 100% of what Windows and Linux can, but Windows can't do 100% of what Mac and Linux can either. You choose the operating system based on your needs.

That said, all the major OSes can do 95% of what all the others can, they just do it in different ways. A week is not enough time to learn an OS all the way. It took me about half a year to gradually switch to Linux from Windows. Even still, I use Windows for music production (well, actually haven't had time to do this lately).

I'll admit however that configuring various parts of Linux is still a bit complicated (especially if you have to use advanced features) and Linux still lacks big times in professional video editing/production.