• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question about Vista

• Members

The salesmen at Best Buy and Circuit City say that if you buy a computer with Vista, the only way to get all the annoying trials, ads and other junk off it and get it to run faster (a brand new computer!!! :puzzled: ) is to pay them to "optimize" it.

Is this true??? Why can't the consumer delete the trials and ads for themselves?

I've never heard of it, but I haven't shopped for a PC since before Vista came out (I got it in 2006 and it has XP on it... way better than Vista!!).

I don't think you can get a new computer with XP, and Vista has way too many problems from what I heard. Have you ever considered buying a Mac? :wink

• Members

From what I understand you can still buy some Dell computers with XP.

It sounds to me like he was trying a gimmick on you. Yes you will definitely need a computer with at least 2 Gig of RAM to run Vista, even basic I believe.

But Optimize?

What exactly was this optimization????

• Members

Both stores said the same thing. If you buy a computer with Vista (and there wasn't anything else available), you will have to have it optimized in order to remove all the free trials and such that are on it - installed from the manufacturer. You know, stuff like "Try AOL free for 90 days" and all that junk. Before, we've always just uninstalled the programs ourselves but now they are saying that it takes special software to do that.

I told dh that I am having a really hard time believing it. Someone is always out to scam or make a buck and I just don't buy this "optimize" thing but 2 different stores said the same thing. So I'm wondering if anyone else was told this and what did you do about it?

Yes, Kathie, we've considered Mac too.

Well, it's your decision to buy whatever computer works best for you, but I would definitely recommend a Mac. It doesn't come with all that "junk" software, and you won't have to worry about viruses.... ever.

It costs more up front to buy a Mac, but you'll save money over time. Oh, and if you have any programs that you just can't give up, but they only run on Windows... you can still run them on a Mac, because a Mac runs Windows Vista BETTER than a PC does. :smile

• Members

I had a reason for asking.

I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad (formerly IBM) and I do not have any of that already installed software. I bought a refurbished model and it was cheaper and better than the ones at Bestbuy and other stores.

• Members

I bought an Acer a little over a year ago. They wanted to "optimize" it, but I did not let them. I have not had a problem with speed. I do think mine would do better if I put more memory in, as I only have 1 GB. But I have been rather happy. I know what Kathy is saying about a mac and no viruses. I have been told you can do the same by taking windows off and installing linux. My dad runs a computer on linux and realy likes it. But I question the "ever" part. The more people that leave windows, the more tempting the mac and linux opperating systems will get, until one day people will decide to start making viruses for them as well. JMO.

• Administrators
The salesmen at Best Buy and Circuit City say that if you buy a computer with Vista, the only way to get all the annoying trials, ads and other junk off it and get it to run faster (a brand new computer!!! :puzzled: ) is to pay them to "optimize" it.

Is this true??? Why can't the consumer delete the trials and ads for themselves?
I have always removed all that stuff myself without a problem. I do not see how it can be that hard to remove it yourself. If you do get Vista make sure that you have at least 2gb of memory. I have never had any problems with Vista.

• Administrators
.......I would definitely recommend a Mac. It doesn't come with all that "junk" software' date=' and you won't have to worry about viruses.... ever. [/quote']
Ahh, the famous last words. I remember when FF users used to say you will never get a virus with FF, it is way more secure. Boy, were they wrong. I see the same thing with Macs now.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22272&p=367255#p367250

The reason why Mac now has more security flaws per month (double the amount from XP, and Vistas combined) is because it is being used by more and more people. The fact that more people are using Mac means that it will be target more than it was before.

Never say never. :lol

• Members

Yeah, but the thing is, it still won't be able to do serious damage to your computer because it can't alter system files without a root password. That would make most viruses worthless. On the other hand, Windows viruses, once given access to the computer, can stick their files just about anywhere.