• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

We need rain...badly!

• Members

I'm still praying, N.N.!  Thank you for posting the picture of the "trickling river" in your area.  When we were in the drought situation here in northern Calif., and as Alaska Jim can attest to...on the volcanic mountain between us, one of the glaciers started melting underneath and it caused quite a mud flow.  We have pictures of where that flow went over a small creek bridge and greatly widened the banks of the creek.  It's all just so amazing to me, yet also quite glorious...to witness the vast power of "nature"...and that we KNOW the very one who created and is in control of it!  I will continue to pray for your need for rain back there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
46 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Drove home from work tonight in a torrential downpour! First rain since late August/early September! 

Thank you Lord! Thank you for the rain and for letting me make it home safely! 

...and thank you to all who have prayed! Please continue... : )

Glad to hear your drought is broken, I was wondering how things were going for you.

The other day I jumped into the car and the outside temp was 43°C (that's around 110°F) - the first hot day of the season. The last week or so has seen temps over 30°C every day, and this month has been fairly mild with more than a few days down in the mid 20's. 

But now we are moving into fire season - I am sitting here at my desk and the wind is howling and the temp is not too bad, but it feels warm. With low humidity, high sun UV ratings, the grass and bush dries out, and then we get a few hot days, the idiots come out lighting fires, and the wind blows hard - we get huge fires on occasion. We have fire bombers based here all year round, and bring in extra for this season each year.

Water is never really our problem, as this place has always been dry, so we have dams built and water restrictions in place for as long as I can remember. We have never run out of water, partly because when it starts to get low-ish, the authorities hit panic mode and make sure everyone knows that we are low, with daily updates on dam water levels on the nightly news, newpapers etc.

But bushfires are a problem every year for us. Most of the time the normal suburbs are ok from the actual fires, but the smoke causes respiratory problems throughout the city, and of course there are people living in the bush areas.

Last year a whole town basically burned down, and that fire was started deliberately............

• Members

Praise the Lord!  How wonderful that our sweet Lord has granted rain to you in your area!  I love it!  The Lord always responds to us in His time, and what a special joy it is when the answer is evident and visual!  I had a whole post in this thread written last week on my tablet and went to submit it....but was booted out and lost the whole thing. I figured that the Lord allowed that to happen for one reason or another, but indeed I kept praying for your situation.  I'm very glad that you arrived safely home as you drove through it too.  What a glorious God we have!

PS ... Dave, thank you for sharing about the dryness and fires in your area.  We have forest fires here, but there are lots of grass fires in southern Calif.  I will whisper prayers for you and for your area likewise with empathy.  

Edited by WellWithMySoul

• Members
39 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

I would love to see an updated photo of the river.

I'll go take a look at it tomorrow. The picture I posted was from the internet, so...unfortunately, I won't be able to give a "before and after" of the same picture.

Though we've received about 2 1/2 to 3 inches of rain over the last few days, I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the river yet...but we'll see! The place where I will go will be much wider than the previous picture; however, the water flowing through that section looked very similar to the picture. The last time I looked, the widest part of the section (that I'll go to) looked to be about 2 feet wide and ran that width for about 10 feet in length...with most of it looking like the previous picture. I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow...Lord willing.

We're still getting rain, so the Lord continues to bless! We actually had tornadoes in a few places today too...but none in my immediate area.

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

I guess I don't need to go tomorrow...and apparently I was wrong about the rain having a "filling" effect on the river! This was posted by the Water Plant Superintendent of our local water system earlier this evening! If you look at the picture, immediately above the dam, there was basically nothing but a small one-foot wide trickle before the rains came (at best). They would have to wait about 8 to 10 hours for enough water to build up before they could withdraw water from the river. Even then, once they were able to withdraw, they could only do so for about 4 - 6 hours.

The picture doesn't do it justice, because it doesn't show the full width of the river. If you can, imagine what is above the dam as being roughly about three times the width of what's shown. The "intake" for the water plant is located about 50 yards above the dam. According to this picture, the river appears to be full again...or close to it! PRAISE THE LORD! I think I'll still go check it out tomorrow and post a picture though. ; ) Things are looking good right now! However, please continue to pray for us...PLEASE! I'm trusting the Lord that this isn't just a temporary blessing! : ) I absolutely love the Lord! He's incredibly amazing, gracious, kind, and giving. When things look bleak, he's always there to comfort and console. He's my Lord, and I love him!

The caption from the picture read...

First time the river has flowed over the dam at the water plant since July 20th.

15170966_1282582615134170_7487842448318863150_n.jpg

• Members
On 12/5/2016 at 1:19 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

The Lord has continued sending rain for the last few days! I'm looking forward to seeing how it has affected the river when I get the opportunity.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I went to the same place yesterday, and the river looks basically the same as the last picture. It's a tad bit higher, but not enough to show another picture, because they look basically the same...it's hard to tell the difference...though it is up a bit. We're still thankful and praising the Lord for what he's done here!

• Members
On 08/12/2016 at 5:22 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Just wanted to give a quick update. I went to the same place yesterday, and the river looks basically the same as the last picture. It's a tad bit higher, but not enough to show another picture, because they look basically the same...it's hard to tell the difference...though it is up a bit. We're still thankful and praising the Lord for what he's done here!

Glad to see  you are still getting rain.