• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Biblical Response to Psychiatry & Psychology?

• Members

Pastor Markle made a wonderful post providing Scripture that lays out the spiritual diagnosis, the spiritual problem and the spiritual solution to the issues commonly believed to be "mental illnesses."  

I am wondering if anyone here knows of any literature, videos, sermons &c. that expand on biblical teachings that would refute secular psychology and philosophy.  I am aware of plenty of resources that properly expose the quackery of both of these secular "disciplines," but I am unaware of good resources, outside of and in support of Scripture, that give practical biblical guidance of an alternative.

When I was a boy, my parents sent me to many different therapists/psychologists in the attempt to remedy some behavioral issues I had. Many years later, before I was saved, I was romantically involved with and lived with a woman who was (and still is) a clinical psychologist, whose mother was/is also a psychologist and whose ex-step father has been in the process of getting a sex change for the last twenty years; receiving therapy all the while.  One of my older brothers is in the child psychology field and is connected with the public school system.  A young Christian friend of mine has recently told me that her dream is to go into the field of psychology.  These are just a few examples of why I am interested in knowing more about God's original "mental health" solution.

We must be able to do more than simply point out the error of the world.  We must be able to show them the Scriptures that teach God's way's of dealing with things and also be able to explain them effectively.  I am very interested in reading or viewing anything that may have been written or recorded that would be of help in this area.

• Members

Brother Stafford,

I myself believe that the very best book for the matter of "psychology" (that is -- the study of the soul) is God's Holy Word.  Mankind can only observe (study) the soul from the outside; therefore, all of human psychology is foundationally a behavioral study.  However, the Lord our God can observe and even KNOW the soul from the inside; therefore, His Word deals with the soul foundationally from a spiritual perspective of "inner-man" character.

However, if you are seeking for reading material concerning a "system" of "psychology" that is more rooted to a Biblical foundation, I myself would suggest a consideration of those authors who would follow the "system" of "nouthetic counseling."  This "system" of "psychological" counseling was first promoted by Jay Adams, beginning with his book, "Competent to Counsel."  The reason that this "system" is called "nouthetic" counseling is because the word "nouthetic" originates from a Greek verb that means "to admonish."  Thus "nouthetic" counseling is primarily a "confrontational" form of counseling, which confronts SIN from a Biblical perspective and calls for REPENTANCE of that sin in order to initiate change.  I myself do NOT agree with everything that is promoted within the "system" of "nouthetic" counseling.  However, at the present time, I believe that it is the closest "system" of "psychological" counseling unto the Biblical pattern.  (Note: There may be a "system" out there that is closer to the Biblical pattern which I myself have not yet encountered.)

I pray that these thoughts will be of some help to you in this matter.

(By the way, thank you for the "compliment" at the beginning of your posting.)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
added closing "thank you"

• Members
43 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

However, if you are seeking for reading material concerning a "system" of "psychology" that is more rooted to a Biblical foundation, I myself would suggest a consideration of those authors who would follow the "system" of "nouthetic counseling." 

Pastor Markle,

Thank you for your response.  I am not really looking for an extra biblical system.   I think, perhaps, I am looking for a commentary-esque sort of writing that uses God's Word and goes farther into depth of explanation.  

I did a quick search on nouthetic counseling and it does not seem to be what I am seeking.  The immediate red flags, for me:

• Neither Mr. Adams, nor practitioners of nouthetic counseling, seem to use the KJV.  
  • Mr. Adams is a Presbyterian and attended an Episcopalian seminary.
  • They allow and encourage female counselors.
  • He is connected to Zondervan.
  • To take all of the courses costs $1600 (not including textbooks). I do not believe in charging money to teach God's Word.

Although it is not something with which I think I could be involved, it does seem to be quite a bit better than anything else available in the mainstream.

• Members
32 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Pastor Markle,

Thank you for your response.  I am not really looking for an extra biblical system.   I think, perhaps, I am looking for a commentary-esque sort of writing that uses God's Word and goes farther into depth of explanation.  

I did a quick search on nouthetic counseling and it does not seem to be what I am seeking.  The immediate red flags, for me:

• Neither Mr. Adams, nor practitioners of nouthetic counseling, seem to use the KJV.  
  • Mr. Adams is a Presbyterian and attended an Episcopalian seminary.
  • They allow and encourage female counselors.
  • He is connected to Zondervan.
  • To take all of the courses costs $1600 (not including textbooks). I do not believe in charging money to teach God's Word.

Although it is not something with which I think I could be involved, it does seem to be quite a bit better than anything else available in the mainstream.

Brother Stafford,

Understood.  I was not exactly sure what you were seeking, as far as the reading material; however, if it was along the lines of as "system," then the "system" of "nouthetic" counseling was the best that I knew to suggest.

As I stated above, I certainly do NOT agree with everything that "nouthetic" counseling promotes; and your "red flag" issues would certainly be issues of concern for myself also.  As a further note, I myself am NOT any kind of member in the "nouthetic" counseling "system;" and I have NO intention of engaging in their training courses.  However, I HAVE read a small handful of books that find their source from authors that would be within that "system;" and I believe that they retain a much more Biblical pattern than other "system."

Now, I do not know if you are at all willing to read a book which does not strictly use the King James translation.  If you are, then the book, "Competent to Counsel," by Jay Adams MIGHT still be worth your time to read.  Also, from within the "system" of "nouthetic" counseling, there ARE books written which seek to "debunk" various of the present trends in secular psychology.  I myself have read one of these -- "Psychoheresy: The Psychological Seduction of Christianity," by Martin and Deidre Bobgan.  Again, I am NOT expressing full agreement therewith; however, I did find some of the information of value.  Another book that I read in relation to this matter is "Blame It on the Brain? - Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience" by Edward Welch.  Yet again, I am NOT expressing full agreement; but it also was of some value.

Brother, if you are not at all willing to read a book which does not strictly use the King James translation, or which is not strictly from a Fundamental Baptist position of doctrine and separation, then please understand that I am not seeking to lead you against your conscience in the matter; nor do I desire to offend you with the above suggestions.  I am just seeking to present what little of an answer that I have for suggested reading material.

As for myself, I still hold very strongly that God's Word is my best source to guide how I personally counsel others.

Again, I pray that these thoughts may be of some help for you; and I thank you for your willingness at least to consider them.

• Members

Brother Stafford,

If I may provide a posting with a somewhat different focus, I thought that the following might be of some help to you also.

My oldest son is presently in Bible college, training for pastoral ministry.  In one of his classes, he was given the assignment to interview four pastors with the following question -- "How do believers change?"  As might be expected, he chose to interview me (his father) as one of those four pastors.  As such, I typed out my answer word-for-word; and I asked if he would send a copy to me.  The following is that answer.

How Do Believers Change?

My return question -- Are we talking about how believers change to the good only, or how they change both to the good or to the bad?

His answer -- The teacher did not specify, so just provide both.

My response --

Believers change by submitting themselves to one or the other of the motivating spiritual influences within them.

The two spiritual influences within believers are the Sprit and the flesh. The spirit is always characterized with God’s will as the priority.  The flesh is always characterized with self-will as the priority.  Believers change to the good by denying the selfish desires of the flesh and by yielding to the Godly direction of the Spirit.  Believers change to the bad by quenching the Godly direction of the Spirit and by pursing the selfish desires of the flesh. As a believer yields more and more unto the Godly direction of the Spirit moment by moment, his motivations, thoughts, attitudes and determinations will become more and more governed by the will of Christ for the glory of God, and will become characterized by the fruit of the Spirit.  As a believer pursues more and more the desires of the flesh moment by moment, his motivations, thoughts, attitudes, and determinations will be more and more governed by self-centeredness and self-interest, and will produce the works of the flesh.

In order for a believer to move from walking after the flesh to walking after the Spirit, that believer must do as follow:

1. He must recognize the specific selfish characteristic of the flesh.

2. He must repent of that selfishness as a wicked offence against God.

3. He must rejoice in the gracious forgiveness and cleansing of God.

4. He must renew a pursuit after the fellowship of God.

5. He must request the grace of God to resist the temptation in returning unto his selfishness.

6. He must resist making any provision for his selfish flesh.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother, if you are not at all willing to read a book which does not strictly use the King James translation, or which is not strictly from a Fundamental Baptist position of doctrine and separation, then please understand that I am not seeking to lead you against your conscience in the matter; nor do I desire to offend you with the above suggestions.  I am just seeking to present what little of an answer that I have for suggested reading material.

Pastor Markle,

I thank you for your responses which are so thoughtful.  The reason that I am so hesitant in exploring authors who do not believe in the sole authority of the KJV, is because I question their judgement.  If a Christian, who is attempting to teach and counsel others using the authority of the Word of God, can get the very foundation of that authority  wrong, I tend to question their judgement in other areas as well.  To me, it is akin to taking a biology class from an evolutionist or an ethics class from an atheist; the foundation is all wrong.

If I know that there is dangerous leaven, I will avoid it while I am still trying to make good bread.  I know that Satan is crafty and that I can be deceived easily sometimes.  I would rather stick to what I know to be true and of God first and then explore things that I know to be questionable after I develop that foundation.

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
34 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Pastor Markle,

I thank you for your responses which are so thoughtful.  The reason that I am so hesitant in exploring authors who do not believe in the sole authority of the KJV, is because I question their judgement.  If a Christian, who is attempting to teach and counsel others using the authority of the Word of God, can get the very foundation of that authority  wrong, I tend to question their judgement in other areas as well.  To me, it is akin to taking a biology class from an evolutionist or an ethics class from an atheist; the foundation is all wrong.

If I know that there is dangerous leaven, I will avoid it while I am still trying to make good bread.  I know that Satan is crafty and that I can be deceived easily sometimes.  I would rather stick to what I know to be true and of God first and then explore things that I know to be questionable after I develop that foundation.

Brother Stafford,

I believe that your position on this wise, and I respect it greatly.  I certainly do NOT EVER want to counsel or recommend a fellow believer to sin against their own conscience.

As such, I fully understand if you choose not to read any of that material which I have "suggested" above.  I certainly wish that I knew of some books to recommend that would be from the Fundamental Baptist "position," quoting only from the King James translation.  If I had, I would have recommended them.  There may indeed be some.  I myself just do not yet know about them.