• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Avast or Avira

Rosie

• Members

oh yes he wanted me to pay 100's of dollars to fix my problem. I said no. he was upset and left mad.. he said for me to change my credit card as he knew the numbers and that was the first thing i did.. i do not order anything on line. my banking etc is not on my computer... when he is on i can't do much... when he is on he disables my antivirus, he definately knows more about this thing that i do... when i downloaded bitfinder it said it prevents hackers. I pray this is true...when i run anti malware bitfinder etc nothing ever shows up.. it says all is well no problems found.. i find that so strange as i know they are there.. i have no control over him being on my computer, i have no idea how he gets in.... i changed all of my passwords... its like he owns the computer and i am a second user... 

• Members

If he has gotten into your system, he jas probably set up a legitimate way in.

Many companies do this with their IT sections.

It allows the IT workers to access a PC to fix any problems without having to go to the actual computer.

But because it is a legitimate gateway the security programs won't find it.

Someone who knows Computers should be able to turn it off. 

It should be simple to fix for someone who knows but maybe a bit hard to describe.

What version of windows do you have?

If it is 10 I will have a look when I have time and see if I can find the setting.

GREAT news that you have no banking details......

• Members

Rosie, those noises could easily be explained by website adverts that you didn't notice were playing--happens to me all the time. But even so, the fact that some guy got onto your computer once makes me think you really ought to follow Dave's advice: save your files and go for a complete reinstall of Windows. The problem is that if you just try to fix your current installation, you'll never know with certainty that he's gone. It's very hard for security software to detect when a computer is being illegitimately accessed and/or controlled remotely, unfortunately. And not seeing him anymore will not in of itself be a guarantee. For example, he could choose to install a key logger, allowing him to know everything you type--including password changes--and then he could choose to go quiet and just observe your activities, waiting for you to log into your online email or some other important account. Having accessed your email, he could then trawl your sent items, looking for any personal information you've sent others in the past, such as your home address.

The IP thing is nonsense, as others have said. A fresh installation is guaranteed to work, and if you hire a professional it will probably be cheaper for them to do that then clean up your existing installation.

Just my view...I'm not an IT expert.

• Members

If it is win10:

In the type bit on the bottom (cortana) type "remote settings" and press enter.

A panel will open called "System Properties".

Go to the "Remote" tab and uncheck the box next to "Allow remote assistance connections to this computer".

Click Apply then close the window.

Wait and see.

If tjey are using the normal Windows access to get in this should stop it, but if they have installed another program to do it, you will someone who knows to look at your PC.

I hope this helps.

• Members

There is something similar in win7, but I am not certain of where to find it.

This is the easiest way for someone to access your pc because it is built in to windows, but they may have installed a program to allow it since.

If that is the case, then either a full reset of windows or an expert to find the offending program.

But it costs you nothing but time to find the remote access setting and turn it off.

• Members
42 minutes ago, Rosie said:

Dave I looked when you told me to and I saw nothing like what you told me to check for, maybe the settings for windows 10 is different than windows 7 huh?

Ms. Rosie, this article tells how to do it on Windows 7...

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-windows-remote-desktop-153337

• Members
9 hours ago, Rosie said:

I will check it ever so often.. how about the tablets, did doing that remove the hackers from the tablets too

No. That was only for that particular computer.

But gaining access to your computer would not have given them access to any other.

What are the tablets?

Android, apple, Windows?

• Members

Sorry - I know nothing about Kindles.

What I do know is that the process you used was only effective for the computer you changed it on.

Have you had the problem on the Kindle as well?

It would be unusual for someone to get onto multiple platforms - it is an individual "PC" (or whatever) thing.

Anyway, best to keep a check on it for a little while and make sure it is all sorted.

And check that setting on your PC once in a while, just to be sure.