• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Show me that in the Bible!

No Nicolaitans

• Members

Perhaps I have a warped sense of humor, and I don't know if others will appreciate this or even participate. Still...here we go...

First, let me say...I hope that those who know me will realize that I mean no disrespect whatsoever towards God's word. 

Next, let me say...I realize that there are times; in which, proof from God's word is needed. Therefore, I realize that "show me that in the Bible" is (and can be) a needed and valid argument.

Finally, let me say...While I realize that it is a valid argument, I also know and realize that it is often...indeed...VERY often over-used...to justify ridiculous things.

So...with that said...let's see just how ridiculous we can be! 

I like blowing bubbles.

Show me that in the BIble!

• Members

Not about blowing bubbles, but it might be ok to like bubbles.....

Ezr 5:2 Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which is at Jerusalem: and with them were the prophets of God helping them.

This "bubble" (Zerubbabel) began to build the temple, so there is definitely something to like about Him.

I like driving.

• Members

No Nicolaitans is correct.

Some folks use that phrase, "Show me that in the Bible!" to justify a sin, to disbelieve a prophecy, to disbelieve a doctrine, question a prophecy or disbelieve a doctrine, and to cast doubt on the scriptures. The phrase, "show me that in the Bible!" is used, and over-used, by every cult, proud individual, heretic, back slid saint, to discount the judgments and doctrines of the scriptures.

God only has to say a word once in order to make it true. And, He only has to say it His way, not our way, to make it true.

"For who hath known the mind of he Lord: or who hath been his counsellor.? Romans 11: 34 Man does not have the right to tell God how a doctrine (or prophecy, or a promise), should be presented  in the scriptures.

God said to Job, and the rest of mankind, "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? Job 40:8

"For all those things hath mine hand made, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." Isaiah 66:2

We need to accept the preserved word of God, the Authorized Version (any date), as the very words of God and tremble at the consequences of unbelief, doubt, ridicule, and revision.

Alan

Edited by Alan
detete doubled phrase

• Members
12 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Not about blowing bubbles, but it might be ok to like bubbles.....

Ezr 5:2 Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which is at Jerusalem: and with them were the prophets of God helping them.

This "bubble" (Zerubbabel) began to build the temple, so there is definitely something to like about Him.

I like driving.

It's not about driving; it's about "how you drive". Hopefully, you don't drive like Jehu.

2 Kings 9:20
And the watchman told, saying, He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.

I like warming ice cream up for 10 seconds in the microwave before I eat it.

• Members
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I like warming ice cream up for 10 seconds in the microwave before I eat it.

Ahhh, but that one does not have to be in the Bible precisely; for I like to do the same.  Thus Matthew 18:19 would apply -- "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven."

• Members
2 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Ahhh, but that one does not have to be in the Bible precisely; for I like to do the same.  Thus Matthew 18:19 would apply -- "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven."

I don't know how funny you meant that...but I'm laughing like crazy at that!

• Members
7 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Oh very very good....... 

And I needed that laugh today..... :lol:

• Members
9 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

When I shuck corn, I make a mustache out of the silks.

Jacob's sons were known to also make mustaches out of corn silks.  They would get together once a year, in Egypt, and have contests for who looked the best with their "cornstaches."  Sometimes they would just stare at each other for hours.  This would puzzle their father.

(Genesis 42:1) "Now when Jacob saw that there was corn in Egypt, Jacob said unto his sons, Why do ye look one upon another?"

Additionally, it well known that the city of Jericho had very skilled "beard implant experts" living there.  Sometimes, after men were sent there to regrow their beards, they would find themselves needed back in battle before their beards had fully regrown.  These soldiers would seek out a beard implant expert and would have corn silks surgically implanted into their faces.  They could even have the silks dyed any color or braided into dolls.

(2 Samuel 10:4-5) "Wherefore Hanun took David’s servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away. {5} When they told it unto David, he sent to meet them, because the men were greatly ashamed: and the king said, Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown, and then return."

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
21 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Nope...

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that isin the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

I agree.  I cannot find support for emoticons either.  However, it seems that at least one of the prophets enjoyed participating in one man, blackface minstrel shows for the king:

(1 Kings 20:38) "So the prophet departed, and waited for the king by the way, and disguised himself with ashes upon his face."

I was just thinking that this lighthearted challenge can serve as an illustration of how easy it is to support any side of any argument, when Scripture is taken out of context and/or mixed with pure fiction.  It can serve as an example of how important it is for Christians to know Scripture in order to avoid being deceived by false teachers and to warn others of the false teachings of the same.