• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Different punctuation...

• Members
18 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Now, I think that you may have received your answer(s)...and others may still yet chime in. Even so, may I do a "turnabout is fair play"?

I don't remember which copy of the Geneva Bible you use, but I know there were many...including one (somewhat recently) which uses modern language. I have the 1587 Geneva Bible on my Bible program...simply because that's the only one that was offered.

Do the revisions of the Geneva Bible bother you; in that, they did make changes? IF my understanding is correct,  the first Geneva was done in 1557 (a New Testament), and the full edition of 1560 (Old and New Testaments) had revisions even from the New Testament done only 3 years earlier. I further understand that there were over 100 revisions to the Geneva Bible. I don't know its history, nor do I claim to...but it has undergone many more revisions than the King James.

Which do you use? It can't be the 1557, because that was just the New Testament. The New Testament was changed in subsequent editions (if I'm correct). Does that not bother you that you don't use the original from 1557? Isn't the 1599 version the most popular...and it came after many revisions.

Those are serious questions and not meant to stir up strife.

No strife taken.

I use the 1560 edition in facsimile.

It is not at all similar to the 1557 put out by one man - Wittingham I believe - and to my knowledge the original text (1560) has only had minor revisions - changing of a few words in the OT for so-called clarity.

As for the 1599 and it being the most popular? It was, but it doesn't have the original Geneva NT, the 1599 translation uses Bezas Greek ONLY and does not use other sources to confirm the words - by one man named Laurence Tomson. Doesn't even read well. And yes I do have a 1599 both facsimile and modernly printed. The NT is quite different where it is important.

I know there were a multitude of different printers and type setters with opinions for changes. Just like the KJB had. And obviously changes with fonts. That's why I stick to the 1560 edition - I feel the other 'revision' texts are not 'doctrinally'  accurate and are flawed. And just like the 1611 KJB there are typos - but very few - it was well done for the time.

In my opinion (and the Historical Catalogue of the British and Foreign Bible Society) there are only 3 revisions - 1. The original 1560 edition and other editions using the exact same text, 2. The 1560 with the wrong NT (Sir Laurence Tomson), and 3. The various editions put out by so-called 'cheap' publishers, who didn't really care about accuracy, and rushed the process to 'get'em out' using either of number 1 and number 2 above.

One man writing the preface to the 1599 facsimile said the Geneva Bible went through many editions, adding more notes til there was no more room for them, made that up.

There are only two sets of notes - the one's matching the 1560 edition - then the one's matching the 1599 - except for the notes on Revelation - they varied between the 1560 to the 1576 (Tomsons first edition) and Tomsons later edition where he used Notes from a man named Francis Junius.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Mat 6:23 But if thine eye be euill, thy whole body shall be full of darknesse. If therfore the light that is in thee be darkenesse, how great is that darkenesse?

Mat 6:23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!