• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preaching Preference

• Members
2 hours ago, wretched said:

The exact opposite is true in my experience and that of our Lord. I have never met anyone truly convicted (scared to death) from the real Gospel that did not follow the Lord in Baptism and service. "But i forewarn you whom ye shall FEAR: FEAR HIM, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into HELL; yea, I say unto you, FEAR HIM".

Without FEAR there is no salvation.

Jesus preached on condemnation and hell more than any other single topic and He commanded us to preach to the same. So don't for one second believe the apostasy that claims the disciples did not preach condemnation and hell. Try Acts and Romans for condemnation and hell.

Once again, there is no Gospel without condemnation and hell.

Anyone who speaks differently is more often than not a tare spreading the same false "gospel" they were "saved" by.

So GP, what were you saved from?

Wow. That is scary Wretched.

So when you say that Jesus preached on condemnation and hell more than any other thing and that Jesus told us to do the same - have you ever looked into that? I have. And that is not true.

Jesus preached more on the kingdom than any other subject. And when did Jesus ever speak of condemnation and hell when telling people about salvation or heaven or the kingdom of God/heaven?

Yes, he did say people needed to repent and believe the gospel.

Yes he told them to turn from their evil ways.

Yes, he did talk about how much the Father loved the world.

Yes he did talk about people considering different life issues as important and he taught them heavenly things were more important.

Yes he did describe a couple of times what would happen to any person who was in hell.

Maybe you have heard differently about what fire and brimstone preaching is.

As for your statement here -

"Once again, there is no Gospel without condemnation and hell."

That is false thinking.

Yes, we are saved from hell and condemnation, but we don't get saved because we are afraid of going there. We are saved because we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Period.

If someone gets scared into heaven - I question their belief.

And that would explain some of their hateful characteristics. 

Especially when confronted by the love of Christ being the only way to heaven.

THAT is what got me to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, Wretched. That the Lord loved ME so much that he became flesh to die on the cross for ME.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

I did not fear the one who died for me, Wretched. I was drawn to him by his compassion for me. Fear brings a snare. I was not trapped into salvation, but captured in HIS arms of love, to which I voluntarily ran to.

I believed that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God! And that is when I got saved!

• Members
3 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Wow. That is scary Wretched.

So when you say that Jesus preached on condemnation and hell more than any other thing and that Jesus told us to do the same - have you ever looked into that? I have. And that is not true.

Jesus preached more on the kingdom than any other subject. And when did Jesus ever speak of condemnation and hell when telling people about salvation or heaven or the kingdom of God/heaven?

Yes, he did say people needed to repent and believe the gospel.

Yes he told them to turn from their evil ways.

Yes, he did talk about how much the Father loved the world.

Yes he did talk about people considering different life issues as important and he taught them heavenly things were more important.

Yes he did describe a couple of times what would happen to any person who was in hell.

Maybe you have heard differently about what fire and brimstone preaching is.

As for your statement here -

"Once again, there is no Gospel without condemnation and hell."

That is false thinking.

Yes, we are saved from hell and condemnation, but we don't get saved because we are afraid of going there. We are saved because we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Period.

If someone gets scared into heaven - I question their belief.

And that would explain some of their hateful characteristics. 

Especially when confronted by the love of Christ being the only way to heaven.

THAT is what got me to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, Wretched. That the Lord loved ME so much that he became flesh to die on the cross for ME.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

I did not fear the one who died for me, Wretched. I was drawn to him by his compassion for me. Fear brings a snare. I was not trapped into salvation, but captured in HIS arms of love, to which I voluntarily ran to.

I believed that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God! And that is when I got saved!

"So when you say that Jesus preached on condemnation and hell more than any other thing and that Jesus told us to do the same - have you ever looked into that? I have. And that is not true."

Actually yes I did but the difference is that I studied the KJB using simple arithmetic to come to this conclusion. Much of the Lord's preaching on the Kingdom included hell as the alternative. Phrases like where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched or cast them into out darkness where there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Hopefully these ring a bell somewhere in your heart.

"Yes, we are saved from hell and condemnation, but we don't get saved because we are afraid of going there. We are saved because we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Period."

Your Savior from what GP?

You ignore context in every aspect of your thinking...this post is your worst example and most dangerous. You do not grasp audience, Jesus spoke of condemnation to the lost in the Gospels yet you quote passages written to the saved as your proof. Every quote you make in this post is out of context and directed to the wrong audience.

Sounds like you got "saved" because you are a better than average person who could recognize the Lord's love long before your own condemnation. How can one recognize God's Love when they don't see their desperate need for it? Your cart has been before your horse from your religious beginning.

Your hell less "gospel" is the same as the lost protestants and the "emerging" lost. If you don't get this one thing right in your heart, you will be blind guessing at everything that follows it just like the religious lost who write volumes of books on God's love-- but are blind.........This does explain allot however.

You must work out your own salvation with fear and trembling and should stop right where you are and examine yourself carefully to make sure you are in the faith friend. I am not arguing with you, I am warning you about this. If you truly believe what you write in this post, you are dangerously lost. Dangerously because you are so very religious refusing to see your need. AND THE NEED IS TO BE SPARED ETERNAL DAMNATION not to some emerging protestant need to have a happier and more prosperous life on earth.

I think NT churches from the beginning contained many weeds but in these last days the weeds are out of control because of false "gospels" like you describe.

Edited by wretched

• Administrators

Wretched,

you have gone a bit overboard in your last post to GP. To tell a man that has just told you that he was saved because he saw Jesus dying for him because Jesus loved him that he is not saved is patently wrong. We don't get to judge who is saved and who is not, that is God's prerogative.

Then you say, " there is no Gospel without condemnation and hell.". The Gospel, defined by Scripture is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is the goodness and love of God that leads us to repentance, not condemnation and hell. 
 Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? 

Please do not presume to judge another's salvation on these forums.

• Members
12 hours ago, wretched said:

"So when you say that Jesus preached on condemnation and hell more than any other thing and that Jesus told us to do the same - have you ever looked into that? I have. And that is not true."

Actually yes I did but the difference is that I studied the KJB using simple arithmetic to come to this conclusion. (Arithmetic? With so few verses as you go on to mention?  3 verses in Mark for the worm comment - and 7 verses in Matthew for the weeping and wailing comment. THAT'S a bunch. And the words hell and condemnation are not even in those verses?) Much of the Lord's preaching on the Kingdom included hell as the alternative. Phrases like where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched or cast them into out darkness where there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Hopefully these ring a bell somewhere in your heart.

"Yes, we are saved from hell and condemnation, but we don't get saved because we are afraid of going there. We are saved because we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Period."

Your Savior from what GP?

You ignore context in every aspect of your thinking...this post is your worst example and most dangerous. You do not grasp audience, Jesus spoke of condemnation to the lost in the Gospels yet you quote passages written to the saved as your proof. Every quote you make in this post is out of context and directed to the wrong audience. (Audience? You are out of context in your thinking here. Every quote? Ahem... one? Yes I quoted ONE verse. And it was a stated fact not needing a context.)

Sounds like you got "saved" because you are a better than average person who could recognize the Lord's love long before your own condemnation. (That was one out of context comment right there. Just where in my statements did I even imply that I was "better" than the average person in ANY word or phrase?) How can one recognize God's Love when they don't see their desperate need for it? (My need was Jesus Christ and you know what that means Wretched. Yes I was saved from going to hell! But it was my Lord who loved me enough to take MY penalty for sin and keep me from having to go there!)  Your cart has been before your horse from your religious beginning. (Very un-needed sarcasm. And sad.)

Your hell less "gospel" (So does that make your 'gospel' loveless? That's one to think about.) is the same as the lost protestants and the "emerging" lost. If you don't get this one thing right in your heart, you will be blind guessing at everything that follows it just like the religious lost who write volumes of books on God's love-- but are blind.........This does explain allot however.

You must work out your own salvation with fear and trembling and should stop right where you are and examine yourself carefully to make sure you are in the faith friend. (You totally misapply this verse. The fear and trembling are not about 'getting' saved there, but about your journey through life til you get to the finish line. Wow.) I am not arguing with you, I am warning you about this. If you truly believe what you write in this post, you are dangerously lost. Dangerously because you are so very religious refusing to see your need. AND THE NEED IS TO BE SPARED ETERNAL DAMNATION not to some emerging protestant need to have a happier and more prosperous life on earth. (Happier and more prosperous life? Where did you get that? If you think I am lost Wretched, there is nothing I can do about it. But I care what the Lord SAYS - "That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life." And - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." And - "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." And - "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."  - And John said also - "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."  - There, Wretched, some good verses that you cannot argue with from God's word not mine. But here is one last verse - "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.")

I think NT churches from the beginning contained many weeds but in these last days the weeds are out of control because of false "gospels" like you describe. (You have done me quite the dis-service here Wretched. I am disappointed that you would treat me as such. Thank you for your candor and view though. I forgive you because I feel sorry that you, who has much wisdom on this site and have shown it many times, would condemn me so.)

And thank you to Jim_Alaska for your statements also.

Edited by Genevanpreacher
Added John 3:17.

• Members
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Wretched,

you have gone a bit overboard in your last post to GP. To tell a man that has just told you that he was saved because he saw Jesus dying for him because Jesus loved him that he is not saved is patently wrong. We don't get to judge who is saved and who is not, that is God's prerogative.

Then you say, " there is no Gospel without condemnation and hell.". The Gospel, defined by Scripture is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is the goodness and love of God that leads us to repentance, not condemnation and hell. 
 Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? 

No problem Jim

29 minutes ago, Genevanpreacher said:

And thank you to Jim_Alaska for your statements also.

The disservice is leaving you to your thoughts. But I will at your request.

• Members
2 minutes ago, wretched said:

No problem Jim

The disservice is leaving you to your thoughts. But I will at your request.

I did add one more verse Wretched in my above response.

John 3:17-  

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

There was the Lord's purpose.

We already know we are condemned. He came to save us, by the foolishness of preaching His love.

My thoughts are on that love - I hope yours will be too.

• Members

14 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Wretched,

I am sorry but had no time to respond to your post earlier.

I only presume to judge what people say against Scripture. And that is exactly how I worded the response in question to GP.

Your Scriptural quote has no background or explanation of why the Gospel is needed. This is my argument against the falsehood presented. The Gospels on the other hand contain why God sent His Son to save the world and are written to the lost. Hence, the reason they are called the Gospels. People need far more Scripture then this one verse if that is how you present the Gospel to people without background or reasoning. Your Roman's quote standing alone or contextually does not present the need for God's goodness and until a lost person understands this need, they are clueless to what the Goodness of God means and are certainly not under the Spirit's conviction.

7 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

I did add one more verse Wretched in my above response.

John 3:17-  

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

There was the Lord's purpose.

We already know we are condemned. He came to save us, by the foolishness of preaching His love.

My thoughts are on that love - I hope yours will be too.

It is now but it wasn't prior to salvation.

God sent the Spirit to convict the world of their sin and coming judgement. Our Lord's first coming was to save but His second will not be. In the meantime, the Spirit and the written Word's job is to convince the lost of their condemnation.

Once again, no one can be saved apart from conviction from the Holy Spirit By the Word of sin, righteous and judgement to come. Any other "conversion" is simply a religious one and not of God.

Confusing Epistles written to the born again and not to the lost will keep you dangerously confused. No lost person can ever understand the Gospel (goodness of God) without understanding their condemnation FIRST.

Once again, there is no good news without knowledge FIRST of the bad news. Put your cart behind the horse

I judge noone's heart but I do judge what you say and what you say is dangerously wrong.

BTW, this is not some semantic argument. What you espouse is a false "gospel". God is all love and no wraith is the devils nonsense and only when one gets the wraith before the goodness of God, will they know why they must believe the Gospel.

I would think this is common sense among those born again. Is this long forgotten or was it never even known by you?

• Administrators

Wretched, The man said he was saved. You are not his judge. This was the issue I warned you about.

I did not post the scripture I did just so you could continue the argument you presented to GP with me. I posted it simply because the goodness of God is what leads to repentance, as the scripture says.

You are certainly entitled to your conviction and belief in what scripture says, just as everyone else is. You are also entitled to discuss any differences you may have with another poster, that is one of the reasons this board exists. Once it gets personal, such as when GP said he was saved and you supposedly determined that he was not, that is where the line gets drawn.

As far as I am concerned, your accusation was out of line and that is when moderators step in. Do not confuse this reply as permission to continue the debate with me, or accuse me of promoting a "false gospel".

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Wretched, The man said he was saved. You are not his judge. This was the issue I warned you about.

I did not post the scripture I did just so you could continue the argument you presented to GP with me. I posted it simply because the goodness of God is what leads to repentance, as the scripture says.

You are certainly entitled to your conviction and belief in what scripture says, just as everyone else is. You are also entitled to discuss any differences you may have with another poster, that is one of the reasons this board exists. Once it gets personal, such as when GP said he was saved and you supposedly determined that he was not, that is where the line gets drawn.

As far as I am concerned, your accusation was out of line and that is when moderators step in. Do not confuse this reply as permission to continue the debate with me, or accuse me of promoting a "false gospel".

No problem

Edited by wretched

• Members

We once had a pastor who said, "We become Christians because we want to go to heaven." and I have heard some say "We become Christians because we don't want to go to Hell."  Both are false teachings .

When preaching the Gospel,we should start by telling sinners who God is. When God told Isaiah to preach to Cyrus, long before the latter was born God continually restated who He Is.

Isaiah 44:24  Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; 25  That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;26  That confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers; that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof: 7  That saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers:  28  That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.
1 ¶  Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut; 2  I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: 3  And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.
4  For Jacob my servant’s sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
5 ¶  I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: 6  That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
7  I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
8  Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
9  Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?

He continues.

11 ¶  Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.
12  I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

18  For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

21  Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

He then tells the world how to be saved,

22  Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

When Peter preached at Pentecost, he said, "You killed the author of life" The Jews knew who God was and most recognised who Jesus was.  

14 ¶  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15  For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18  And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
19  And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:  20  The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: 21  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

22  Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25  For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
26  Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28  Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29  Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30  Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32  This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33  Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34  For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35  Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36  Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

And what was the result of this sermon (Which had no mention of Hell).

37 ¶  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Peter then tells them the way of salvation

38  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39  For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40  And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

The result?

41  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Note the promise in verse 39 includes to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. and that includes us

To return to my opening sentence, I believe that if we try to come to Christ for those two reasons, we are coming for what we can get out of it, and that is a works based salvation,  We should come to Christ because we realise we are vile sinners who have sinned against a just and holy God who sent his only begotten son to take our place and nailed our sins to his tree, and rose from the dead so that we may rise with him at the resurrection.

• Members
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:56 AM, Invicta said:

We once had a pastor who said, "We become Christians because we want to go to heaven." and I have heard some say "We become Christians because we don't want to go to Hell."  Both are false teachings .

When preaching the Gospel,we should start by telling sinners who God is. When God told Isaiah to preach to Cyrus, long before the latter was born God continually restated who He Is.

Isaiah 44:24  Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; 25  That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;26  That confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers; that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof: 7  That saith to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers:  28  That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.
1 ¶  Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut; 2  I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: 3  And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.
4  For Jacob my servant’s sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
5 ¶  I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: 6  That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
7  I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
8  Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
9  Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?

He continues.

11 ¶  Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.
12  I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

18  For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

21  Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

He then tells the world how to be saved,

22  Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

When Peter preached at Pentecost, he said, "You killed the author of life" The Jews knew who God was and most recognised who Jesus was.  

14 ¶  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15  For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18  And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
19  And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:  20  The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: 21  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

22  Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25  For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
26  Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28  Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29  Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30  Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32  This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33  Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34  For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35  Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36  Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

And what was the result of this sermon (Which had no mention of Hell).

37 ¶  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Peter then tells them the way of salvation

38  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39  For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40  And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

The result?

41  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Note the promise in verse 39 includes to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. and that includes us

To return to my opening sentence, I believe that if we try to come to Christ for those two reasons, we are coming for what we can get out of it, and that is a works based salvation,  We should come to Christ because we realise we are vile sinners who have sinned against a just and holy God who sent his only begotten son to take our place and nailed our sins to his tree, and rose from the dead so that we may rise with him at the resurrection.

The passage of Pentecost you quote makes no mention in any way of your conclusion at the bottom "We should come to Christ because we realise we are vile sinners who have sinned against a just and holy God who sent his only begotten son to take our place and nailed our sins to his tree, and rose from the dead so that we may rise with him at the resurrection."         yet you attempt to use it as a proof text against condemnation.

In addition you say: When Peter preached at Pentecost, he said, "You killed the author of life" The Jews knew who God was and most recognised who Jesus was.  How could they unless they had already had seeds sown from our Lord's own Sermons in the Gospels.

Those same Jews Peter was preaching to at Pentecost also knew of the Lord's Sermons which mentioned condemnation and hell constantly.  See verse 22 from your post:  "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:" 

If they knew beforehand (IE seeds sown) that they were vile sinners then they had also heard and understood that this vile sinner status carried condemnation along with it. Peter's sermon mentions none of this "vile sinners or condemnation" but it certainly infers both to an audience Peter was 100% sure had heard the sin and condemnation sermons of our Lord.

Your entire post here is moot from the standpoint of attempting to remove hell and condemnation from the Great Commission.

Most born again believers use the term preaching the Gospel (just like the Apostles) with the understanding that they mean the Great Commission and not just the one passage from I Cor 15:1-4. There has to be other seeds sown just as there were obviously with this crowd at Pentecost. They had the background and they were convicted of their sin and their coming judgment: IE, they were afraid...period.

• Members
13 minutes ago, wretched said:

The passage of Pentecost you quote makes no mention in any way of your conclusion at the bottom "We should come to Christ because we realise we are vile sinners who have sinned against a just and holy God who sent his only begotten son to take our place and nailed our sins to his tree, and rose from the dead so that we may rise with him at the resurrection."         yet you attempt to use it as a proof text against condemnation.

In addition you say: When Peter preached at Pentecost, he said, "You killed the author of life" The Jews knew who God was and most recognised who Jesus was.  How could they unless they had already had seeds sown from our Lord's own Sermons in the Gospels.

Those same Jews Peter was preaching to at Pentecost also knew of the Lord's Sermons which mentioned condemnation and hell constantly.  See verse 22 from your post:  "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:" 

If they knew beforehand (IE seeds sown) that they were vile sinners then they had also heard and understood that this vile sinner status carried condemnation along with it. Peter's sermon mentions none of this "vile sinners or condemnation" but it certainly infers both to an audience Peter was 100% sure had heard the sin and condemnation sermons of our Lord.

Your entire post here is moot from the standpoint of attempting to remove hell and condemnation from the Great Commission.

Most born again believers use the term preaching the Gospel (just like the Apostles) with the understanding that they mean the Great Commission and not just the one passage from I Cor 15:1-4. There has to be other seeds sown just as there were obviously with this crowd at Pentecost. They had the background and they were convicted of their sin and their coming judgment: IE, they were afraid...period.

Not sure I follow all your reasoning, it seems a bit muddled.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Not sure I follow all your reasoning, it seems a bit muddled.

Your summary at the bottom states:

However, your Scriptural passages do not support this summary unless you are conceding that Peter's sermon at Pentecost could not stand alone without previous seeds sown providing more background (which BTW: Peter's sermon already states that the audience had previous knowledge). In addition you leave out any mention of condemnation for the lost which logically indicates that you do not believe that knowledge is required in order for the lost to believe the Gospel.

I forgot to ask another question which I just bolded in your quote. So are you claiming that if one becomes convicted of sin, righteous and judgment, their faith in the Gospel then somehow becomes works-based?

• Members
2 hours ago, wretched said:

Your summary at the bottom states:

I forgot to ask another question which I just bolded in your quote. So are you claiming that if one becomes convicted of sin, righteous and judgment, their faith in the Gospel then somehow becomes works-based?

That is not what I said.