• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Origin of Baptist

Guest DSY

This is a question we encounter most of the time, on where, when and who established the baptist church. I am a bible baptist and this our some questions that makes me wonder too. I was asked by a friend on how come baptist churches are not the same, there is no unity and different doctrines and That is when I started asking myself too. I don't doubt my beliefs but as a baptist I think it is imp to know what you believe in. I am new to this site and I would love to hear your answers. Thank you!  

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I am Christian by faith, Baptist by conviction! because Independent Baptist is the only denomination that believes the word of God as its final authority for matters of faith and practice.we are the only ones who believe that Baptism has absolutely nothing to do with salvation.i take the bible ( king James) literally except where impossible to do so,at which point God will tell you its spiritual. we are not protestant therefore we are not a break off of the catholic church! as for our origin, they were first called Christians at Antioc. a persons name will tell you where they stand. we are not apart of a cooperative program or a holy mother church. I am old fashion Bible Believing, King James Only,premillinial, washed in the blood , born in the fire so the smoke don't bother me! and I have eternal life . if you need a date for its origin I'm sure one of my scholarly brethren can help. if a Methodist were closest to sound doctrine, that is what I would be. hope this helps.

• Administrators

1. In short: God called John, "The Baptist"; Baptist is a title, not a family name. The name Baptist  was God given.

2. John Baptized Jesus with Baptist baptism, making Jesus a Baptist.

3. Jesus built His church during His earthly ministry, making that church a Baptist church.

I posted a devotional about this subject here.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

1. In short: God called John, "The Baptist"; Baptist is a title, not a family name. The name Baptist  was God given.

3. Jesus built His church during His earthly ministry, making that church a Baptist church.

I would be curious as to how the incident in Acts chapter 19 fits into this explanation. These 12 men in Ephesus, who were called disciples and were meeting in Christ's name, were also baptized by John the Baptist, making them "Baptists" by your reckoning, as it did Christ. However, when Paul learned they had been baptized by John, he re-baptized them. It is stated clearly in this passage that John's baptism was a "baptism of repentance". If this is the recognized nature of John's baptism, how then did it make Christ a baptist, and no one else? 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

John the Baptist was a Baptist, meaning he baptized with water. Those who were baptized did not become "Peter the Baptist" for example. The disciples did baptize with water but were never called "Baptists". Paul also baptized a few people in water although he was sent "not to baptize but to preach the gospel". But John's was only a baptism of repentance and he was not technically a Christian meaning he died before Jesus was crucified and John was not saved by faith in Paul's gospel.... Also John's baptism is different to water baptism today. As water baptism is not necessary for salvation and John never baptized anyone into Christ. Christians are baptized into Christ without water, by the Spirit. and later water baptized as an ordinance, outward testimony etc..

• Members

The church did not begin with John the Baptist. I am not a Baptist brider. John baptized to reveal the messiah to Israel,see John 1:31 the church began at Pentecost and was later revealed to paul . we baptize because it is a ordinance of the church , but we are Christians because we follow Christ.. 1st Corinthians 12:13 is not a water baptism but a Spiritual that places us into the body of Christ.

• Members

not trying to offend anyone, John the Baptist was a friend of the groom and not in the body of Christ! there is nothing wrong with the scriptures , it all fits like a glove if we rightly divide them. remember when Jesus told peter flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto you, but my father has revealed it,after Peter said Thou art the Christ ,the Son of God? it was revealed to peter who Jesus was because he had been baptized by John. Peter being a Jew of coarse.this was the purpose of Johns baptism.here is where I loose some: there is only one body of Christ and it is not local! I am a local church man , I believe everything is done through the local church , having said that the church is universal . even if I don't like the word. hope this helps , Pastor Coley

• Members
27 minutes ago, Joe Coley said:

.here is where I loose some: there is only one body of Christ and it is not local!

Amen. This shouldn't lose anyone. I'm aware it's "hyper-dispensational" when some try to say there are 2 bodies. Which is easy to show false.

• Administrators

Sorry folks, it was early morning when I posted about the name Baptist. I wasn't fully awake and did not address the original question. I zeroed in on the name baptist, but the original question was "when and who established the baptist church."

The answer of course is that Jesus established it during his personal ministry on earth.

• Members
On 9/3/2016 at 0:24 PM, Guest DSY said:

when and who established the baptist church.

Jesus Christ himself established his church on the shores of Galilee when he called his first disciples to follow him.  Jesus Christ established the New Testament Church and it is Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning Baptists (as they are called in America) that most closely follow the scriptures according to our enemies.

• Members
22 minutes ago, InSeasonOut said:

Amen. This shouldn't lose anyone. I'm aware it's "hyper-dispensational" when some try to say there are 2 bodies. Which is easy to show false.

The word “Church” is used 3 different ways in the Bible

EXAMPLE OF 3 CHURCH DEFINITIONS

The Noel Family”

• Local – My wife, the children and I. "We are the Noel Family".

• Visible - Dad, Mom, sisters, Uncles, aunts, cousins. All Noels alive, but not all of a local household. "The Noels will have a reunion in Kentucky in Oct."

• Universal - All ancestors from the time of first founding Noel. "The Noel family can be traced back to the 1100's"

• All usages are legitimate and proper, and determined by context. Why is this so hard to understand in the church today?!?

1. Universal Church – Spiritual - All saints, past, present and future, whose names the Father knows and are written in heaven. – UNDER CHRIST, UNDER NO OFFICE OR MAN ON EARTH.

1. Hebrews 12:22-23

2. Eph 5:23,25,27,29

3. Col 1:18-24

4. Revelation 19:7, Revelation 21:9 and (2Corinthians 11:2 – proof text that the bride is the church)

1. Visible Church made of all saints alive on earth, general reference to believers as a whole.

1. 1Co 12:13

2. 1Co 15:9

3. Galatians 1:13

4. Philippians 3:6

1. A particular assembly of believers that meet together in one place, such as the churches addressed in the epistles. The word “churches”, plural, appears 36 times.

1. Ro 16:5

2. Col 4:15

3. Acts 13:1

All three usages exist in scripture to refer to the church, and all three are legitimate, based on scriptural context. If we throw out scriptural doctrine simply because the reprobate misuse it, are we any better than they are? We must stop studying doctrine, and start prayerfully studying the scripture with humility and courage. 

• Members
1 hour ago, weary warrior said:

The word “Church” is used 3 different ways in the Bible

I wasn't disputing different ways "church" is used. I was disputing that there are not 2 bodies of Christ. There's only 1.

.... I understand the body of Christ is the church..... but I don't understand what you were getting at...?

• Members

stop studying doctrine? makes for good preaching, ...... 2nd Tim. 3:16 doctrine is simply what is true and what is not. 

when Paul addressed a church in a city , it was not the Methodist, presb, or even Baptist . it was the blood washed saints. I am pastor of a local Church and there are probably lost folks in it. no lost folks in the true church!  there is the church in the wilderness, the church of Satan, church is a called out assembly. just more cud to chew. 1st cor. 12:13 is not a visible church ,but a spiritual baptism into an invisible body! the only one I am sure of that is in it is me. we can not no the truth of others.

• Members

I will answer both of the above posts here. I don't know how to do separate quotes at once.

I wasn't disputing anything InSeasonOut said. I apologize for not being clearer. I realize that my usage of the quote function was confusing. As to what I was getting at, I was responding to those who reject out-of-hand any reference to a universal church.

As for Joe Coley's input, I will clarify. Doctrine is the chief thing. I understand that, I agree with that. I know the definition. I also know after 50 years in IFB churches all over the world that we tend to take a doctrine that we have been given by someone else and study the few select verses that seem to shore up and defend that doctrine. We become locked in an intellectual, scriptural box, and the lock is our own fear of being wrong, or finding out that our revered teacher was wrong. If, however, we prayerfully study scripture itself with humble courage and let the doctrinal chips fall where they may, the doctrinal truth will be given to us by the Spirit of God, and there will be no contradiction, confusion or conflict. Scripture will answer for itself, if we will let it. 

• Members

"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gift of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?" 1 Corinthians 12:28 & 29 The church was started by the Lord Jesus, baptism was given to the church by John the Baptist (as Jim Alaska stated, Baptist is a title, not a name). Peter, nor any of the other apostles were not called Peter the Baptist as not all are called "titled" the same thing.

As was stated previously (please read Jim Alaska's devotion that he referenced too), the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost for empowerment to witness; not to start the church. The Lord Jesus, "the chief corner-stone," started the church while He was on the earth. 

"Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow-citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone." Ephesians 2:19 & 20

In both 1 Corinthians 12:29 & 20 and Ephesians 2:19 & 20, the "prophets" mentioned would include John the Baptist as one of the prophets as set in the foundation of the church.

Edited by Alan
spelling rephrased the last sentence to make clearer