• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When your church forsakes soul-winning

• Members
12 hours ago, Salyan said:

You have one in 10 people who hear the gospel accept?! I've heard of maybe 1... or 2 people accepting at the door.

On average one in ten will accept the opportunity to hear the gospel. So for every ten people you offer to present the gospel to, one is willing to listen. Some try to give the gospel even when they are not willing and that turns some people off. But the fact that you offered and then kindly leave them with a one verse gospel if they decline will go a long way in helping for future contacts.

The stats I gave is what I've experienced over the years for if someone just went out and did the work somewhat impartially but personal experience can vary depending on the location and attitude of the worker. Particularly if the worker works at being sociable and someone people would enjoy talking to and being friends with.

Edited by John Young

• Members

As for me and my local church, visitation means that members go out and visit recent visitors, new converts that have not been baptized and the parents of children that attend our academy for example.  Soul-Winning is for Saturday when Pastor feeds the congregation a hearty southern breakfast and then in an organized and structured way the members go out and proclaim the good news door to door.  My pastor hates going door to door and even prays for nobody to be home!  But he does it because he loves the Lord and God commands it and because he's a terrific soul-winner.  He's the shepherd of our flock and he leads by example.

If you were lead by the Spirit to this church, then the Holy Ghost has placed you there because of your special gifts.  You might just be the match that'll convict the hearts of your pastor and deacons to get them on fire for winning the lost for Christ again.  By all means get with that other fella and do it on your own; get the preacher's blessing of course.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

and sounded a but drunk.  .

My father-in-law sounded a bit drunk (slightly slurred speech) for 20 years. Hmmmn, could be a result of the stroke that he had at that time.

He also sounded rough to borderline rude. Hmmmn, like a full blooded man of German descent who spent 20 years in the USMC.

It's not just the written text that can be emotionally misleading, the phone can too.

• Members
9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

As for me and my local church, visitation means that members go out and visit recent visitors, new converts that have not been baptized and the parents of children that attend our academy for example.  Soul-Winning is for Saturday when Pastor feeds the congregation a hearty southern breakfast and then in an organized and structured way the members go out and proclaim the good news door to door.  My pastor hates going door to door and even prays for nobody to be home!  But he does it because he loves the Lord and God commands it and because he's a terrific soul-winner.  He's the shepherd of our flock and he leads by example.

If you were lead by the Spirit to this church, then the Holy Ghost has placed you there because of your special gifts.  You might just be the match that'll convict the hearts of your pastor and deacons to get them on fire for winning the lost for Christ again.  By all means get with that other fella and do it on your own; get the preacher's blessing of course.

You don't need the preachers blessing to do what the Bible already commands you to do

• Members

That's right and my suggestion was made so as not to create any contention between this new member and his pastor.  For if he forbade it for some reason and he wasn't led by the Holy Spirit to another local church, to continue on his own, with his own material (if he uses any) and not the churches flyers (if they have any).

When I'm out and about I stick Chick Tracks in the gas pump handles and anywhere else I think they'll be seen and read.  We also have a stack of $1,000,000 bills with the gospel on them that the kids love to hand out and we leave them with the real cash tips at the restaurant.  Also have some Good Person tracts too but when soul-winning on Saturday, my family uses the church tracts as it has a direct invite from our pastor on it.  They work too as Sunday morning after soul-winning Saturday usually brings a dozen or more fresh faces into the pews to hear the Good News from our pastor. Or maybe it was our pretty ladies in their classy dresses and heavenly smiles?  Either way, they got a biblical presentation of the Gospel and the seed planted for the Holy Ghost to wrought his work.

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Brother Stafford, Chick Tract has a safe and friendly soul winning program that may interest your church as well. It may be less intimidating for those nervous about cold calling with the gospel. It involves having two people going to a house near the church, giving them cartoon tract and stating that they care about their church neighbors and would like to get to know them and will be back next week with another tract. Over about five more weeks or so they will return each week with another cartoon tract and as they are led can give the gospel and encourage the person to attend the church as well. The same two would do this with at least 10 homes at a time and only return as long as the home is receptive. I have not used this method but it seems to be a good way to meet those in the neighborhood and one day we might try it at our church as a special effort to encourage our members.

http://www.chick.com/OSC/osc_howto.asp

Practical Tips —Operation Somebody Cares

Go to Operation Somebody Cares home page

osc_logo.jpgMany people don’t trust Christ the first time they hear the Gospel.  It often takes hearing it over and over.  The families in your community are no different.  But we must not view them as “targets,” for us to attack like we are on a mission.  To reach the people around your church, you must convince them that you actually care about them.  The only way to do this is through repeated visits, that don’t put anyone under pressure.  You are just there to serve.  In this easy little program, you are going to deliver six gospel tracts with different approaches, on six different visits to the same homes.

This simple program can motivate your people into evangelizing.  Most churches just don’t do it.  You can begin to win your own community, and the people around your church, if you are willing to be consistent for just a short time.

Here is how to do it:

1. Get teams of volunteers in your church.
    One team, two teams, it’s up to you.  But they should go two by two.  One person gives the tract, the other prays for the person receiving it, and record the house and name (if the person offers it).

2. Get a map (Google maps can help you).
    Choose 50 homes near your church.  Map out the streets and assign them to teams.  Assign 10 homes to each team.

3. Get permission to display the map at church.
    Show your church your progress through the neighborhood, with a headline over the top of it that says “People Matter.”  Maybe more of your church will join in when they see how easy it is.

4. Meet at the church and pray before you start.
    Pray that people will receive the tracts, that the message will touch a responsive chord, and that they will begin to understand they are more than a number or address...you care about them and their problems. 

5. Visit each house, once a week, and deliver the tract with a smile.
    Introduce yourself: “Hi, I’m __________ from ___________ church and we just want to drop off this little cartoon.  We hope you enjoy it.  We’ll drop off another one next week.”  If they aren’t home, insert the tract in the crack of the door jamb just above the latch.  Don’t press anyone.  If they don’t want the tract, don’t push.  Just cross that house off your list.  Go to another house.  You are looking for people who are receptive.

1. Be well dressed, but casual.  No suits.  Don’t look like a JW or Mormon.

2. If there is a sign that says “No soliciting,” don’t make waves.  Go to the next house.

3. Teams should be one man and one woman.  That is less threatening.

4. After you knock at the door, stand an arm’s length back.  Hold out the tract with a smile.  This is less threatening.  People want their space.

5. Don’t go into the house.  Keep it simple, stay on the porch.  If they ask for prayer, do it right then on the porch.  There is safety in this.

6. Tell them you will be back!
    Let them know you will be back with another one that they will enjoy.  Then they know what to expect.

7. Return to meet at the church to share how it went.
    Pray over homes where you saw problems.  The whole thing shouldn’t take even an hour.

Each succeeding week, deliver a different tract to the same homes.  Maybe start with a soft approach like Love Story or maybe even one of the cute children’s tracts like Charlie’s Ants. Then follow next time with something a little more pointed such as Creator or Liar or Somebody Goofed.

By that point, you probably would have some feedback from the person about their spiritual background and present state. Tracts could then be chosen to address their need. This Was Your Life should definitely be included at some point.

8. IMPORTANT:  the tracts need to be delivered by the same two people.
      Folks need to begin to recognize you.  They will see that you care.survey_card_tn.gif

9. Week 4 - Give survey card
    By this time, they realize you are coming regularly for them.  Give them the survey card and ask, “May I give you this survey card?  We would like to know how your family likes the little books.  We would appreciate it if we could pick them up from you on the next visit or two.  We want to hear from you.”

10. Deliver six different tracts to each home.
    Try to pick up the survey card if they will give it to you.  On the last visit, ask if there is anything you can pray for.  Give them your church’s brochure and invite them to visit you.

Some of the people you will meet will already be believers.  Be sure to take a moment right there and pray for them and their needs. Then go on to the next house.  But make sure everyone, including these people, get a church invitation.  Sometimes folks are really “between” churches, and they just won’t tell you.

Remember, NO PRESSURE.  People are fed up.  They don’t think anyone really cares.  Show them you are different.  The gospel message in the tracts will convict them of sin.  That’s not your job.  You are not there to win an argument, you are there to care for souls.  Your repeated visits will show them that they are important to you.

BENEFITS

1. These people will get to know your church as a group of friendly people... a “safe” place.

2. You will know you have obeyed the Lord and given them the gospel.

3. People will be more likely to visit your church later, because they “know” someone there.
    1. Be sure to say “hi” to them when they come.  They need to see your face again.

That was easy, wasn’t it?  Now get ready for the next 50 houses.

Things to remember:

1. You’re in Satan’s territory.  Don’t be surprised about rejection.  They are rejecting Jesus, not you.

2. Each family is different.  They are going through different messes: fear, sickness, prison, family problems, financial problems, drug problems, etc.  People are uncertain and scared.

3. By the 4th visit, they will get to know you.  It’s okay to ask them if you can pray for them for any need.

4. Pray for God’s full armor.  This is a spiritual war.  Satan will try to discourage you.
Edited by John Young

• Moderators

I've been thinking about this, and I'd like to throw something out there for you to think about, Brother Stafford, if you don't mind. I don't know if God wants you at this church or somewhere else, but supposing He does want you here... I'm sensing a good deal of disdain and 'how dare they not be soul-winning' coming from your posts. It's very possible that some in the church (not all) should be door-knocking, and are either lacking faith, or discouraged - or just never seriously considered it (since the church has apparently never done this)! Perhaps God wants you there to come alongside and encourage them in that ministry. If so, be an encouragement. Be an encourager - and that means not beating them over the head with 'why aren't you doing this' and 'how dare you not' and 'everyone needs to'. Be gentle with them, and don't expect too much of them before God has a chance to work it. After all, it's Him that works in us both to do and even to want to do His Will. And remember, please, that God calls people to different ministries. I can sense this particular outreach is incredibly important to you - and that's great! Just remember that not everyone will serve or evangelize in the exact same way. 'Diversities of operations' and all that. ;-)

• Members
4 hours ago, Salyan said:

I'm sensing a good deal of disdain and 'how dare they not be soul-winning' coming from your posts... Be an encourager - and that means not beating them over the head with 'why aren't you doing this' and 'how dare you not' and 'everyone needs to'. 

Saylan, 

Please accept my apologies if I came across disdainfully in my posts.  In no way did I mean to imply that the church leadership or membership is not worthy of my respect, or to come across as holier than thou.  I have merely come asking questions about this issue that seems to contradict Scripture as I understand it and what others might think of the situation.

Thank you for your thoughts.