• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The dangers of living remotely

• Administrators

We are ok, the fire has passed by us here in Hamburg, California. Fortunately the river and high ridge was between us and the fire. Many people in Horse creek, just a few miles away have lost homes. This fire was very fast moving, it grew from a couple of hundred acres on Sunday, to over 5,000 acres on Monday.

https://m.facebook.com/hashtag/gapfire

• Members

I've been keeping an eye on the fire incident reports concerning your fire over there.  It has been quite a long while since I've been over west of town, but if I remember rightly there are some really beautiful timbered areas there.  There can be some rugged "hills" in the Siskiyous making it difficult to get the fire contained....but I'm glad your little town is out of danger now.  I'm not "fond" of forest fires at all.  A little spiritual illustration came to mind about fires though.  Certain "environmental" groups and some agencies like to keep lots of the forests and wilderness areas "protected" and as natural as possible.  This reminds me of the many (including all of us at one time or another) that try to protect the "natural old man" keeping the "flesh" in tact, instead of  putting off the old....while also putting on the NEW!  It's wonderful that the Lord created so much beauty for us to enjoy, but we sure need to be good stewards of what He has made...including our hearts.  By not being good stewards of what He has given to us....isn't that akin to "fueling a fire"?  I'm sure that my thoughts can be verbalized much more eloquently than I've posted...but the principle is the same.  I will be thinking of and praying for the many folks effected by the fires near you. 

• Administrators

Yes NN, after reading it again I think the same thing. The answer is that the cause is unknown, they are actively investigating it.

This country is very dry, but very heavily forested. It is also very rugged, with steep slopes and many gulches, all wooded. Our fire danger is critical in summer, virtually no rain at all.

This fire is travelling toward an old burn from 2014. That will help suppress it because all the understory and dead stuff has already been burned. "Spotting" is a big problem, that happens when the fire burns hot and the wind picks up cinders and drops them in an unburned place, cause the fire to "jump".

"Rollout" is another problem because of steep hills and mountains. This happens when trees and dead logs that are on fire roll down the mountains and spread the fire as they go.

Thanks for the prayers folks, we need them.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

How are you doing with all of the smoke?  We are starting to see some of the smoke to the west of us.  Sigh...praying for y'all over there!

This is a bad one, it is now at 17,000 acres with over nine houses burned. Although it passed us by originally because the river and a high ridge is between us and the fire line, it has now doubled back and is burning in our direction along a line that was not burned originally.

We are under advisory evacuation orders, which means be ready to go if it becomes necessary. W have packed emergency stuff and have a travel trailer to stay in. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Here is a link to some videos of this fire: 

• Members

Oh my, Jim!!  My heart is greatly burdened for you and for all of the others in your little town.  I'm glad that you have a travel trailer to stay in should you have to evacuate, and that you have at least some warning.  It has clouded over a bit here and it was much cooler today.  I'm not sure what the Lord has in mind for all of you....but it's such a reassuring and comforting thing to KNOW that HE has you in His mind!!  Once again, II Cor. 4:15 is encouraging...."For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God."  'Not sure what all we can do to be of help, but we shall indeed be praying fervently!  Thank you for the update.  Praying.....and praying some more....

• Members

Just noticed that Heartstrings' spread is in the path (outskirts) of that hurricane, my aunt is getting the left side of it right now.  Or should I saw was?  I forgot he's west of Tallahassee and not east of the capitol.

Prayers for the both of you!

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Jim...now I have constant reminder to continue to lift you and all of the ones in your area up in prayer.  The smoke is now starting to roll into the valley, and where I can't see it...I can smell it.  Our winds usually come from the northwest and circle around the valley.  What a comforting thing it is to know that our God hears us when we pray according to His will (I John 5:14).  I know that  you are trusting Him, and so as you continue on thru this trial...I pray that He will grant you the sweetness of His peace.  'Ever praying...

• Administrators

Thank you wwms, I appreciate the prayers of God's people. As I write this the fire moderated a bit overnight and there is an inversion layer that is keeping the smoke close to the ground. Actually it is filling the small valleys and gulches. What little air movement there is is generally in your direction. We were in Yreka this morning shopping and the smoke was bad there.

A fire truck stopped by a few minutes ago, checking out access to home so that they can protect them if it becomes necessary.