• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church Building

• Moderators

Hey, all,

if I may impose upon you for a quick prayer, this week we are planning on going to look at a building we'd like to seek to obtain for our new church house. We have been without our own building for almost 3 years now. We have no money to speak of, and are loathe to get a loan, as the Bible says to owe no many anything. We could afford the upkeep, but not a payment. It is the old Mormon building that has been closed down for about 6 years, but been kept up very nicely. I so miss being able to have sunday school, to have potlucks and to have as many services for a long as we choose, to set up wifi and a couple computers to make available some good online training for some of our folks, and many other reasons. We are just too confined in a place where we have to rent by the hour.

So all I ask is that the Lord either provide what we need to purchase the building, or the Mormons to just give it to us, (they have to be tired of paying tax on it since it isn't being used as a church). Or whatever might be God's will. Might not be His will to have it. But we won't know if we don't pray and seek.  So if I might ask for prayer-it is about the last nice building left in town that a local speculator hasn't purchased and moved people into, like our old building, which now has a damaged roof, broken windows, dead lawn and trees, destroyed carpets, not honestly even worth looking at.

Thanks. It may seem to some that we are looking for something for nothing, but honestly, God is more than able if it be His will. 14 years I've been out here, working for free in the gospel-I'm just seeking a place we might totally sanctify for His work.

• Moderators

Thanks, all. We're going to go look at it Wednesday; the realtor is a friend, a wonderful Christian lady who always makes it a point to pray with her prospective buyers, and we have seen God do great things with her.

As I look back at our last building, I am afraid much of why we lost it was my fault. Honestly, I thought I was being very 'spiritual' in often declaring that the building didn't matter; it was just a convenient place for us to do the work from, but we could just as well work from a home or a rented hall or under a tree. And while, in a sense, that is all true, to a point, what I ignored was the great blessing God had given us to have a building, and the great freedom it gave us to work as we believed the Spirit was leading us. I have greatly repented over my lazy and incorrect view, and now understand that, while we worship God in Spirit and in truth, it is a good thing if we can meet somewhere that gives us a greater sense of cohesiveness, and it CAn be special and sanctified, and should be treated as such. It's not a 'temple', but it CAN be the local house of God, to be used for doing His work.  

• Administrators

The Mormons that own the building may be open to an owner finace at a decent interest rate Bro. Mike. It never hurts to ask. Although I have found that generally speaking, the Realtor will try to discourage this method. It would be beneficial to be able to talk directly with the sellers, which is often discouraged by the Realtor also.

I have extensive dealings as a real estate investor and have some different means of buying that could work for you. Please let me know if you may want to explore other ways of buying than just a conventional outright sale method.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

The Mormons that own the building may be open to an owner finace at a decent interest rate Bro. Mike. It never hurts to ask. Although I have found that generally speaking, the Realtor will try to discourage this method. It would be beneficial to be able to talk directly with the sellers, which is often discouraged by the Realtor also.

I have extensive dealings as a real estate investor and have some different means of buying that could work for you. Please let me know if you may want to explore other ways of buying than just a conventional outright sale method.

The problem here is that the last place that we lost was owner financed, and we had to give it back. I doubt we'd get as good a deal from the Mormons as we did with the Southern Baptists and we still couldn't keep to our obligation. No, it's pretty clear that if we are to do this, it will have to be essentially a gift from God. I know it may sound like we're trying to be pikers, in trying to get somethig for nothing from God, or that is how some might see it, but I wonder how many churches just automatically assume that it is time to go to the world's lenders to procure a building for God's work, or send endless letters essentially begging fro other churches to build their new multi-million dollar project, without considering that God Himself may choose to give it to them. I think of how the Lord placed the Hebrews in the good grace of the Egyptians, and caused them to give them all the gold, silver, clothes, etc, that they wanted, which would later be used for the tabernacle. God is able to give, if He chooses, whether it comes as a gift of finances to purchase it, or a gift from the Mormons of the buiding, or in some other way that I can't even see.  

Also, honestly, they want a LOT for the building, which, in any other area, might be a fairly good price, ($99,000.00), but nothing in Herlong is worth that much, (you've been through and know what I'm talking about).

Still if things happen, and it seems the way to go, I will certainly speak with you about it. Thank you. If we DO manage to procure it, I will be inviting you to come out to pray over the property with us, to sanctify it for God's work, after having been used for years in idolatry. We will run them devils of mormonism out!

• Moderators

For what its worth, we went and looked at the LDS building yesterday. Beautiful building, very sturdy-one thing about the Mormons, they tend to build places to last! It is very roomy, brand new carpet, new pew covers, all the furniture in the sanctuary is oak, well-kept. The pulpit rises and lowers for the height of the speaker, a unique thing I've never seen. A lot of room behind the pulpit area to clear and put in a baptismal if we should choose. Lots of space for classes, maybe a bookstore or library, and a nice office upstairs for the preacher to have some privacy! . Small kitchen, but nice, beautiful grounds, 2 acres, mature maple trees and beautifully-kept lawn, ample parking.

Some things I'd do if the Lord gives it to us: remove the typical 'Mormon spike' on top and install a solar-powered lighthouse, maybe 6' high, with a rotating light. Put in a nice picnic area for summer meals as the church; ah, who knows? But it is very nice and with some prayer and sanctification of the grounds, it could be a great place to dedicate to the service of the Lord.

• Moderators

We bought our building from the Mormons. We have the adjustable pulpit -- you'll like it.

I like your lighthouse idea, we label ourselves as "A Lighthouse on the High Plains". I may have to incorporate the idea (depending on city ordinances, we unfortunately are inside city limits)

• Moderators
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:37 PM, OLD fashioned preacher said:

We bought our building from the Mormons. We have the adjustable pulpit -- you'll like it.

I like your lighthouse idea, we label ourselves as "A Lighthouse on the High Plains". I may have to incorporate the idea (depending on city ordinances, we unfortunately are inside city limits)

We're not in a city, per se, so rules are kind of lax. At our old building, we put up a fairly large sign on the main road and no one said a word or cared-it was not blocking anything and we never got a word about it from the county-a good thing about living in the sticks. Granted doing what would be considerd a fairly major renovation of the building like that might need to be approved, amd since we're in the path of a small rural airstrip, the light could cause for confusion, so I would naturally check with that-don't need to accidentally direct a little single-engine Cessna to land in the parking lot. I suspect light color would be the defining issue.

Another thing at the building I forgot to mention, is their entire training library is full. All the books they use from children to adults, lots and lots of Mormon training manuals and various writings, are still present, and this is sort of a treasure trove for those who want to have the first word on what they believe, which I see as sort of getting ahold of the opposing team's playbook-I think such books will greatly improve the fight against mormonism, and perhaps help to free many bound up in their bondage. If we are able to buy it, I will make it with the stipulation that all inside remains inside.  

• Moderators

As to impeding flight ops, I doubt you would. H37 (KHER) Herlong and Amedee AAF (KAHC) on the military installation (inside RESTRICTED airspace) are both listed as having no beacon, KAHC only has portable runway lighting and is listed VFR only, KHER has unlighted runway.

The next closest public runways have no less proximity than 20nm.

Also, airport beacons have a green light as well as the white in order to ID it as an airport

• Moderators
2 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

As to impeding flight ops, I doubt you would. H37 (KHER) Herlong and Amedee AAF (KAHC) on the military installation (inside RESTRICTED airspace) are both listed as having no beacon, KAHC only has portable runway lighting and is listed VFR only, KHER has unlighted runway.

The next closest public runways have no less proximity than 20nm.

Also, airport beacons have a green light as well as the white in order to ID it as an airport

Well, good to know! You must do some flying, I am guessing, to know that, or know where to look it up. Thanks. So a rotating red and white, or blue and white, would not be a problem, more than likely.

Thanks.

• Members
On 8/29/2016 at 8:35 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Hey, all,

if I may impose upon you for a quick prayer, this week we are planning on going to look at a building we'd like to seek to obtain for our new church house. We have been without our own building for almost 3 years now. We have no money to speak of, and are loathe to get a loan, as the Bible says to owe no many anything. We could afford the upkeep, but not a payment. It is the old Mormon building that has been closed down for about 6 years, but been kept up very nicely. I so miss being able to have sunday school, to have potlucks and to have as many services for a long as we choose, to set up wifi and a couple computers to make available some good online training for some of our folks, and many other reasons. We are just too confined in a place where we have to rent by the hour.

So all I ask is that the Lord either provide what we need to purchase the building, or the Mormons to just give it to us, (they have to be tired of paying tax on it since it isn't being used as a church). Or whatever might be God's will. Might not be His will to have it. But we won't know if we don't pray and seek.  So if I might ask for prayer-it is about the last nice building left in town that a local speculator hasn't purchased and moved people into, like our old building, which now has a damaged roof, broken windows, dead lawn and trees, destroyed carpets, not honestly even worth looking at.

Thanks. It may seem to some that we are looking for something for nothing, but honestly, God is more than able if it be His will. 14 years I've been out here, working for free in the gospel-I'm just seeking a place we might totally sanctify for His work.

There is a church in London that needed more space for classes.  There was an old bakery next door which they heard was coming up for sale and they spoke to the owners, The Peabody Trust, who asked where they would get the money form.  They said when they needed it, the Lord would provide.  Peabody said they could't accept that and the property was put on the market. There was a very large For Sale sign put outside on a busy corner.   The church prayed that no one would see the sign and it remained there for over a year. The church again approached Peabody who let them buy it at a reduced price.  One neighbour said he didn't notice the sign or he would have bought it.  The property was large enough for the church to convert part of it to apartments for church members in this part of London which would normally be far too expensive for many church members.  

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

There is a church in London that needed more space for classes.  There was an old bakery next door which they heard was coming up for sale and they spoke to the owners, The Peabody Trust, who asked where they would get the money form.  They said when they needed it, the Lord would provide.  Peabody said they could't accept that and the property was put on the market. There was a very large For Sale sign put outside on a busy corner.   The church prayed that no one would see the sign and it remained there for over a year. The church again approached Peabody who let them buy it at a reduced price.  One neighbour said he didn't notice the sign or he would have bought it.  The property was large enough for the church to convert part of it to apartments for church members in this part of London which would normally be far too expensive for many church members.  

And that's where we are-trusting the Lord to hold it for us, if it be His will. Oddly we found out they're selling it as a residence! they called the sanctuary a family room, and the classes bedrooms. But I can't imagine the cost to convert it to make it livable.