• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Moderators

We had a visitor from Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada and he learned that my eldest son (our song leader at church) plays bagpipes and asked him to play. David was having reed problems and the camera wasn't shifted until a third of the way in - but here is a video. Maybe a better one can be posted later.

• Moderators

David says there only 5 songs written for bagpipes -- and 3 of them are Amazing Grace.

He played for a pipe-band for years (a group of Independent Baptist pipers) but they became too interested in entertainment so he left them. Though he occasionally plays Scotland the Brave, he plays exclusively hymns. He took his pipes to Honduras once -- the Honduran folk LOVED it!! (Personally, neither I nor his mother care for bagpipes)

Nope, no CDs have been made.

• Members

Practicing the actual tunes is done only with the finger pipe and a reed, which is a lot quieter.

But of course there is still need to practice the blowing and armwork of the bellows, and there is no way to do that quietly.

(Note: I know only enough about this to be dangerous, and no doubt there are proper names for the things I mentioned that are different to the terms I have used).

• Moderators

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed for three years on a refueling ship. When we went out for cruise, one of the other smaller ships had a bagpipe player on it, who, while we were doing underway replenishment, (that's refueling while moving for your land lubbers), he would stand on an upper deck and play the pipes. It was amazing that as loud as the work was, we could still hear the tune of the pipes. Cool and kind of eerie.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

After considering OFP's statement...without knowing their reason(s) for not caring for bagpipes...I could imagine that listening to a child learning and practicing the bagpipes could be quite (what's the proper word)...excruciating...indeed!

Well it sure ain't due to the volume -- I like banjo.

I just don't care for the sound (I don't like organs either), my wife doesn't like harmonica because she says it sounds like a whiny child. Oh, David plays fiddle, too. That's worse on the ears while they are learning than bagpipes ever thought of being.

1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Practicing the actual tunes is done only with the finger pipe and a reed, which is a lot quieter.

But of course there is still need to practice the blowing and armwork of the bellows, and there is no way to do that quietly.

(Note: I know only enough about this to be dangerous, and no doubt there are proper names for the things I mentioned that are different to the terms I have used).

While the chanter is quieter, it is still rather loud -- unless you have a set of uilleann pipes (a sort of "parlor pipe").

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed for three years on a refueling ship. When we went out for cruise, one of the other smaller ships had a bagpipe player on it, who, while we were doing underway replenishment, (that's refueling while moving for your land lubbers), he would stand on an upper deck and play the pipes. It was amazing that as loud as the work was, we could still hear the tune of the pipes. Cool and kind of eerie.

That's why bagpipes were utilized on the battlefield. They can be heard above the noise of battle, in fact -- there was a bagpiper on one of the LCVPs that landed on Sword Beach during the D-Day invasion of France in 1944.

• Members
On 8/29/2016 at 3:16 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Always wanted to play, but not real coordinated, so I play ukulele, possibly one of the easiest instruments out there.

An easy instrument to play without the need for coordination...the kazoo!

Believe it or not, I was able to play one the very first time I ever picked one up...and never took a single lesson either...