• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Guest Guest

David's Dance

Guest Guest

*** This is from the "Music in Church" topic. I decided to create a new topic so that one doesn't get too side-tracked from talking about music. We can discuss the dancing topic here.***

AMEN!! :goodpost:

Btw, that was a question to people on both sides of the fence. We all know that David danced, so does anyone know for sure what kind of "dancing" he did? (not just opinions... historical or Biblical evidence would be nice)

I've seen the "he was just leaping for joy" side lots of times... of course, I've never seen anything to prove that he was dancing in the modern way, either. I'm sure if he was just "leaping for joy", the Bible would've said "leap" instead of "dance". Of course, he could've been doing some folk dance or something Riverdance-style... hehe... but I don't know. Was there some kind of dance people did back in those days when they got excited about something?

If you got some typical guy in 2008 excited about something, and he felt like dancing... it might be more of a rocker-style thing. Of course, that's just our culture today. What was David doing, anyway?

Guest Guest

Here are 2 Ps 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
Ps 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Guest Guest

What's a timbrel?

Stringed instruments would include guitars, violins, etc. Hmm, square dancing? :Bleh

I don't think it was anything gyrating or sensual in the least bit. I can't see myself praising God while shaking my hips or head-banging. lol I can easily imagine myself dancing for joy, though, in any number of ways. The Jewish traditional dances come to mind.

Guest Guest

*** This is from the "Music in Church" topic. I decided to create a new topic so that one doesn't get too side-tracked from talking about music. We can discuss the dancing topic here.*** Btw, that was a question to people on both sides of the fence. We all know that David danced, so does anyone know for sure what kind of "dancing" he did? (not just opinions... historical or Biblical evidence would be nice) I've seen the "he was just leaping for joy" side lots of times... of course, I've never seen anything to prove that he was dancing in the modern way, either. I'm sure if he was just "leaping for joy", the Bible would've said "leap" instead of "dance". Of course, he could've been doing some folk dance or something Riverdance-style... hehe... but I don't know. Was there some kind of dance people did back in those days when they got excited about something? If you got some typical guy in 2008 excited about something, and he felt like dancing... it might be more of a rocker-style thing. Of course, that's just our culture today. What was David doing, anyway?

"2 Samuel 6:14-22 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod: So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet. And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart. And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts. And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house. Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself! And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD. And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour."

This passage does not tell us a exactly what kind of dance it was but it does tell us a little. The word for dance here means to "whirl", so we can assume that was part of the dance, it also mentions that he was jumping or "leaping" so we can assume that was part of the dance as well. We know that it was accompanied by music from "all manner of instruments made of fir wood" harps, psalteries, timbrels(tambourines), cornets, cymbals, as well as trumpets. We also can assume that it was lively, light hearted, "happy" music because scripture mentions that the ark was brought up with "shouting" and David also said that he would "play before the Lord" and the word for "play" implies making merry, laughter, etc. We also see that David fed everyone afterward. note that when she says he "uncovered himself" she isn't saying that he took his cloths off, she is saying he took his dignity off.

We can also tell somewhat about it from Michaels reaction to it. Her reaction shows that she did not feel that it was sober and serious enough. First note that when she says he "uncovered himself" she isn't saying that he took his cloths off, she is saying he took his dignity off. She felt his actions made him look undignified and to much like one of his people. He was not looking as regal as she thought he should. In his response he says he will be "yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight" agreeing that it wasn't dignified, but he says it was before the Lord. Thus showing that he wasn't worried about looking dignified and regal before the Lord, because the Lord was his king, and he was there to honor the Lord not himself.

So what exactly was it? We haven't enough information to be 100% sure, but it seems likely that it was some kind of Jewish folk dance. Historically, in their folk dances Jewish men danced alone or with other men and Jewish women danced alone or with other women. That was likely the case here. Obviously it wasn't sensual in the least, so it would be very unlike most modern dance forms which for the most part focus on sensuality.

Guest Guest

Read somewhere the dance referred to in Psalm 149 and 150 represents all in unison after Moses led his people across the Red Sea. They all danced or "joyed" in the LORD for what the Lord had done.
Maybe, that is the orgin of the Jewish dance?

Guest Guest

Seth, that was a really good post! I don't know whether or not you're right, but you put it in a way that makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to post that. :smile :goodpost:

What's a timbrel?

Stringed instruments would include guitars, violins, etc. Hmm, square dancing? :Bleh

Believe your wrong.

timbrel
> Hypernym: drum, membranophone, tympan.

Noun

Small hand drum similar to a tambourine; formerly carried by itinerant jugglers.

I just don't see string instrument in there.

What would we thing seeing men dancing together.

And we must all know, it could not be the dance in the alcoholic guzzling night club with men dancing with women.

Most Baptist have been traditionally against dancing, and I can see why.

One thing for sure, if we participate in any dancing, we had better be sure its the right kind, or not do it.

23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Romans 14:23 (KJV)

I just could not dance without doubting.

I went to a Pentecostal church for many years before returning to my IFB roots. It always disturbed me when people there "danced" in services. This "dancing" was merely jumping up and down. What was even more distracting were the women on the platform "dancing" with their body parts flapping up and down for all to see. I am much more comfortable with the "no dancing" policy of most IFB churches, because people these days associate dancing with night clubs, not ballet, folk dance, and Riverdance.

I went to a Pentecostal church for many years before returning to my IFB roots. It always disturbed me when people there "danced" in services. This "dancing" was merely jumping up and down. What was even more distracting were the women on the platform "dancing" with their body parts flapping up and down for all to see. I am much more comfortable with the "no dancing" policy of most IFB churches, because people these days associate dancing with night clubs, not ballet, folk dance, and Riverdance.

I agree. Church isn't the place for such things, or anything else that's distracting. Most of the "dancing for the Lord" is actually worldly dancing folks do in order to feel more spiritual, to gain attention, to enjoy the emotional experience, not an actual humble or worshipful dance for the Lord.

In my church, people raise their arms, sway to the music, clap their hands. I've even danced with my daughter in worship. Not in a Pentecostal way where there seem to be no limits, but just raising hands, moving to the music. Worship is a time of joy and celebration. My thoughts are if we cannot express the joy in our heart in church, then where can we express it? Having said that, I am not an extremely expressive person and am a bit more inhibited than others around me in church (probably due to my Baptist upbringing). However, the times that I have let my inhibitions go and just worship, were pretty incredible. And i LOVE watching other people worship. A good friend of ours who is 8 months pregnant was dancing in worship Sunday, and it was a beautiful sight. I think my favorite person in church that I like to watch worship is a young woman with Downs Syndrome. What a beautiful sight to see someone who is completely uninhibited raising her arms, smiling and dancing for the Lord.

I see nothing wrong with dance as an expression of worship. When I use the term dance, I mean moving with the beat of the music. Worship involves mind, body and spirit. Those three seem to unite when I am in moments of true worship. My mind is focused on Christ, my body hears and responds to the music, and my spirit and emotions overflow. It is a beautiful thing.

Now, when I talk about dancing, I mean move to the music. I do not mean running around all crazy like, which is a great distraction. Dancing before the Lord is where mind, body and spirit are acting in unison. It is not good if emotion alone is driving things. It is not good if mind alone is driving things. There is a good balance between mind, body and spirit where people can find that place where they throw their hands up giving praise to God. I am not saying that one has to worship that way, but many people do. It is an external manifestation of what is going on in their hearts and minds.

I've been to revivals services where they run the aisles, dance, hoot and holler. They have preachers called "glory preachers" who preach messages aimed to get the folks doing this. These are IFB preachers too. I'm not the type of person to run around. I would be putting on a show if I did and it wouldn't be real. But if it's real and it doesn't interfere with the service and preaching itself I see no problem. Some folks are gonna judge you no matter what.

Edited by Wilchbla

I've been to revivals services where they run the aisles, dance, hoot and holler. They have preachers called "glory preachers" who preach messages aimed to get the folks doing this. These are IFB preachers too. I'm not the type of person to run around. I would be putting on a show if I did and it wouldn't be real. But if it's real and it doesn't interfere with the service and preaching itself I see no problem. Some folks are gonna judge you no matter what.

Sounds like descriptions, I have read, of the early shakers.

Sounds like descriptions, I have read, of the early shakers.

No. They didn't go into convulsions. Just more like a baseball team celebrating a game winning home run without the cream pie being pushed into the hitters face.

No. They didn't go into convulsions. Just more like a baseball team celebrating a game winning home run without the cream pie being pushed into the hitters face.

I saw a video like that! Was that on here? It was some church with a guest singer, and when he hit the chorus the congregation - or should I say the men - just went crazy! Running up and down the hallways and onto the stage, swinging their coats around their head, and one did a sommersault into the (full) baptistry! (The only lady I saw move went to pick up something someone else knocked off the communion table.) Absolutely nuts. The poor singer was trying so hard not to laugh. Edited by salyan

I saw a video like that! Was that on here? It was some church with a guest singer, and when he hit the chorus the congregation - or should I say the men - just went crazy! Running up and down the hallways and onto the stage, swinging their coats around their head, and one did a sommersault into the (full) baptistry! (The only lady I saw move went to pick up something someone else knocked off the communion table.) Absolutely nuts. The poor singer was trying so hard not to laugh.

:lol: Not that bad.