• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hypocrites!

• Members

Hypocrites!

Have you ever had someone say to you that they won't go to church because it is full of Hypocrites?

Over the years I have had several people say something like that to me.

My usual response is something like: "You're right, churches are full of hypocrites, but so is your work and you still go there!" (Note: substitute "Sport club", "knitting club" etc for work as appropriate.)

Funny how they rarely have any sort of good response to that........:D:D:D:D

But I have also found that it rarely convinces them to come along....  :(

• Members

That was the excuse my mother used. I don't mean to make Dave's thread take a bad turn, and I don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring...I feel quite the opposite. As far as I know, my mother is in hell. When the "hypocrites" excuse hits close to home (as it did in our family with her), it makes you realize the importance of HOW you live your faith. As believers, we know that we're not perfect...but the lost "think" we're supposed to be. They know that we're supposed to be different.

I don't agree with the concept of "lifestyle evangelism"; however, I do believe that our lifestyle has influence...whether good or bad. 

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Edited by No Nicolaitans
spelling

• Members

Indeed, hypocrisy is rampant in local churches.  It's truly grievous, and it is waxing worse and worse as the days go by.  Personally, I try to be accountable before the Lord to "mean what I say, and say what I mean", and to be as consistent as possible on the outside with what I am in my heart (which means that my heart better be right with the Lord).  It reminds me of John 3:19-21 - "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. * For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. * But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."  Hypocrisy will always come to the light in God's time for as the above scripture indicates...whatever the deeds are, they will be manifested outwardly.  Another verse that I do my best to try to apply in my life is Luke 6:45 - "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."  Being "lukewarm" (Rev. 3:16) is also not an option for the child of God!

Awhile back, I wrote the little quote below for those who are just looking for an excuse not to attend a local church.

"There are hypocrites in grocery stores; does that deter us from going to the store to get groceries? Think about it."

• Members

It's just an excuse to keep livin' like the devil.  They'll call a congregation of people they've never met or maybe once briefly names and yet watch those fools Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Oprah, Hillary Clinton, etc. on the hellavision and love every minute of their depraved lives. 

• Members
15 hours ago, swathdiver said:

It's just an excuse to keep livin' like the devil.  They'll call a congregation of people they've never met or maybe once briefly names and yet watch those fools Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Oprah, Hillary Clinton, etc. on the hellavision and love every minute of their depraved lives. 

Agreed. I had a girl who went to our church, every time I was around her she would gossip about people from my church and accuse them of being judgmental, she claimed to be saved and would live in fornication, alcoholism, get tattoos, etc. 

she accused our church members of being judgmental...all the while judging them. Made me so angry.

• Moderators
On 7/29/2016 at 8:50 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

That was the excuse my mother used. I don't mean to make Dave's thread take a bad turn, and I don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring...I feel quite the opposite. As far as I know, my mother is in hell. When the "hypocrites" excuse hits close to home (as it did in our family with her), it makes you realize the importance of HOW you live your faith. As believers, we know that we're not perfect...but the lost "think" we're supposed to be. They know that we're supposed to be different.

I don't agree with the concept of "lifestyle evangelism"; however, I do believe that our lifestyle has influence...whether good or bad. 

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I teach that lifestyle IS evangelism, because if we don't live a life that shows Christ, those who know us will never hear the evangelism of the gospel. Lifestyle evangelis is evangelism, just not the only one.

• 4 weeks later...