• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shepherding the Flock - Then Shall I Not Be Ashamed – Psalm 119:6

• Members
Weekly Sermon

In Psalm 119:6 the psalmist proclaimed, “Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.”  In verse 31 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.”  In verse 46 the psalmist expressed his commitment, “I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.”  Again in verse 80 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.”  Yet again in verse 116 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.”

In all five of these verses, the psalmist employed either the verb “ashamed” or its corresponding noun “shame.”  Furthermore, in all five of these verses the psalmist spoke about not being ashamed or not having shame.  What then does it mean to be “ashamed”?  It means to have a feeling of humiliation or embarrassment because of some wrong or foolish decision.  So then, what was involved in the psalmist’s desire not to be ashamed?
here to edit.

The Prerequisite for No Shame

As we consider this matter, let us begin were the psalmist himself began – with the prerequisite for no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  In Psalm 119:6 the psalmist revealed this prerequisite, saying, “Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.”  Again in verse 80 the psalmist revealed this prerequisite, saying, “Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.”  Through both of these verses we learn that having no shame in our daily, spiritual walk is directly related to our relationship with God’s Holy Word.  In like manner, the New Testament passage of 2 Timothy 2:15 gives the instruction, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 

So then, through these three verses, we learn of three elements concerning our relationship with God’s Holy Word that are necessary for us to meet the prerequisite for no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  First, we learn from 2 Timothy 2:15 that we must be faithful students of God’s Holy Word.  This would include a humble dependence upon the Holy Spirit in our study of God’s Word.  This would include a daily diligence to engage in our study of God’s Word.  This would include a right dividing of Biblical teaching in our study of God’s Word. 

Second, we learn from Psalm 119:6 that we must have heart respect for God’s Holy Word.  This would include a personal conviction in the absolute truth and righteousness of God’s Word.  This would include a loving delight for the sound teaching and wisdom of God’s Word.  This would include a meek submission to the authoritative correction and instruction of God’s Word. 

Third, we learn from Psalm 119:80 that we must have heart obedience toward God’s Holy Word.  This would include the repentance of sin at the reproof of God’s Word.  This would include the transformation of character at the instruction of God’s Word.  This would include the commitment of obedience at the commandment of God’s Word.  This would even include the establishment of standards at the counsel of God’s Word.

The Prospect of No Shame

As we consider Psalm 119:6 and Psalm 119:80 and their surrounding contexts, we also encounter the prospect of no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  This prospect of no shame refers to the realms in which we may experience and enjoy no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  In Psalm 119:6 the psalmist proclaimed, “Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.”  The surrounding context for this declaration extends from verse 4 to verse 8, wherein the psalmist declared, “Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.  O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!  Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.  I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.  I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.”  Herein the entire context has its focus upon the Lord God and the psalmist’s relationship with Him.  Even so, if we meet the prerequisites for no shame as faithful students of God’s Word with a heart respect for and heart obedience toward God’s Word, then we shall experience and enjoy no shame in the realm of our daily walk in fellowship with the Lord our God.  This is the first prospect of no shame, the first realm in which we may experience and enjoy no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.

In Psalm 119:80 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.”  The immediate context for this prayer extends from verse 78 to verse 80, wherein the psalmist prayed, “Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.  Let those that fear thee turn unto me, and those that have known thy testimonies.  Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.”  In verse 79 the psalmist made reference to those who walk in the fear of the Lord and spoke concerning his personal relationship with those who walk in the fear of the Lord.  In like manner, the psalmist stated earlier in the context in verse 74, “They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.”  This then is the second prospect of no shame, the second realm in which we may experience and enjoy no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  Even so, if we meet the prerequisites for no shame as faithful students of God’s Word with a heart respect for and heart obedience toward God’s Word, then we shall experience and enjoy no shame in the realm of our daily walk in fellowship with our fellow servants of the Lord. 

Yet in the context of Psalm 119:78-80 the psalmist also made reference to another group of people and spoke concerning his relationship with them.  That group is mentioned in verse 78, wherein the psalmist prayed, “Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.”  Herein the psalmist was speaking concerning those who “dealt perversely” with him, that is – concerning those who persecuted him unjustly, for well doing and for righteousness’ sake.  Even so, in 1 Peter 4:14-16 the instruction is given, “If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.  But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters.  Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.”  This then is the third prospect of no shame, the third realm in which we may experience and enjoy no shame in our daily, spiritual walk.  Even so, if we meet the prerequisites for no shame as faithful students of God’s Word with a heart respect for and heart obedience toward God’s Word, then we shall experience and enjoy no shame in the realm of possible persecution for the sake of our Lord and His righteousness. 

The Practice of No Shame

In verse 46 the psalmist expressed his commitment, “I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.”  Through this verse the psalmist revealed the practice of no shame in his daily, spiritual walk.  Having come to experience and enjoy no shame in the realm of his daily walk in fellowship with the Lord God, in the realm of his daily walk in fellowship with his fellow servants of the Lord, and in the realm of persecution for the sake of the Lord and His righteousness, the psalmist practiced no shame in speaking forth unto others the truths, teachings, and testimonies of God’s Holy Word.  Yea, he even practiced no shame in speaking forth the truths, teachings, and testimonies of God’s Word unto and before governmental leaders.  Even so, in Romans 1:16 the apostle Paul expressed his own testimony, saying, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”  Furthermore, in 2 Timothy 1:8 the apostle gave instruction unto Timothy, saying, “Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God.”  Finally, in Mark 8:38 our Lord Jesus Christ gave the warning, saying, “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”  Indeed, brethren, before this spiritually lost world we should practice no shame of our Lord Jesus Christ, of His glorious gospel, or of the truths, teachings, and testimonies of His Holy Word.

The Prayer for No Shame

In returning unto the psalmist, we come to the prayer for no shame.  In Psalm 119:31 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.”  Again in Psalm 119:116 the psalmist lifted up his prayer, “Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.”  So then, of what hope did the psalmist desire not to be made ashamed?  In verse 114 he reveals the answer, praying unto the Lord and saying, “Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.”  The psalmist had set his hope and trust in the Lord his God and in the Word of God.  Thus the psalmist prayed that he might not be made ashamed for having put his hope and trust in the Lord and His Word.  He prayed that his hope and trust in the Lord and His Word might not appear to be a foolish decision.  Basically, he was praying that the Lord and His Word might be found faithful to help him and to hold him in his time of need. 

In Psalm 25:1-3 David prayed in a similar manner, saying, “Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.  O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.  Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.”  Again in Psalm 25:20 David prayed, “O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.”  Yet again in Psalm 31:1-3 David prayed, “In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.  Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.  For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.”  Finally, in Psalm 31:14-17 David prayed, “But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God.  My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.  Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies’ sake.  Let me not be ashamed, O LORD; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.”  Even so, we also should set our hope and trust in the Lord our God and in His Holy Word; and then we should pray that we might not be made ashamed in our hope and trust, but that our hope and trust might be found faithful unto us.  Yea, we should pray with full assurance of faith that the Lord our God and His Holy Word might be faithful unto us to help us and hold us in our time of need.
Please share this post with others:

View the full article