• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saints judging

• Members

Rosie,

Very good question. :) I presume you are thinking of 1 Corinthians 6:2 and 3

In order to get the context of Paul's teaching I will first try and explain what the Lord Jesus taught and then that may help explain what Paul was inspired to write. I am of the persuasion that the Apostle Paul was led to futher develop the teaching of the Lord Jesus to the church.  

I hope the lesson below is a blessing to you and all of the rest of the brethren.

Church Age Saints as Judges

“Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and have followed thee; what shall we have therefore? And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.” Matthew 19:27-30

The Lord Jesus gave a similar answer after a discussion among the Apostles in Luke 22:24-30

In Luke 22:29 and 30 the Lord Jesus added some further details, “And I will appoint you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

The Apostle Peter asked a very important question and the Lord Jesus answered him with a promise of a hundred fold blessing beyond full comprehension.

During His earthly ministry, the Lord Jesus selected twelve apostles (the Lord Jesus personally selected Paul as the twelfth apostle after the fall of Judas Iscariot).

The Regeneration of Israel

“... in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” The, “regeneration,” of the land of Israel will occur in Revelation 20:4-6, “The Thousand Year Reign of Christ,” in the land of Israel. Hereafter called the, “Millennium.”

During the Millennium, the twelve apostles will judge the 12 Tribes of Israel. This is an inheritance of the apostles for their devotion in following the Lord Jesus.

During the one thousand years, the Lord Jesus will reign as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, in all of His glory as prophesied by the Old Testament prophets.

As a side note: I am covering the glory of the reign of the Lord Jesus during the Millennium in my Revelation Bible Study thread. Here is the link to the Revelation thread: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23615-revelation-bible-study/?page=3#comment-423916

The Judgment Seat of Christ

“Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try and every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.” 1 Corinthians 3:12-15

At the Judgment Seat of Christ, see Romans 14:10 and 2 Corinthians 5:10, all of the works that a Christian does will be tested by the fire: the Bible, see Jeremiah 20:9

The Judgment Seat of Christ is only for the Church Age saints. The Judgment Seat of Christ will occur in the air when the Lord Jesus comes for the church. When Jesus’ comes for the church as revealed to Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, He is coming, “... with his rewards.” “And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” Revelation 22:12

The gold, silver, and precious stones are the works done by a saint with an honest heart, righteous deeds, soul winning efforts, and faithfulness in all things (including doctrine).

The wood, hay, and stubble, are those works done in the flesh, unfaithfulness in practice and doctrine, and those religious works done for the gratification of the flesh and the praise of man.

“And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold...” This promise of a hundredfold blessing will occur during the Millennium and in heaven. At the Judgment Seat of Christ, the rewards of our inheritance will be announced.

At the Judgment Seat of Christ, rewards will be given to those saints who worked for the Lord, “lawfully,” or according to the scriptures. “And is a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.” 2 Timothy 2:5

1 Corinthians 6:2 and 3

Church Age Saints as Judges

The Apostle Paul had previously taught on the Judgment Seat of Christ as revealed by the Lord Jesus during His earthly ministry. So, the saints at Corinth already knew this future blessing of serving the Lord Jesus.

“And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.” Matthew 19:29

The 12 apostles will be rewarded with judging the 12 tribes of Israel and sitting with the Lord Jesus at His table when He reigns over the world.

Now, the Apostle Paul teaches that the saints who forsake all for the cause of the Lord Jesus will have other aspects of the coming Kingdom of Christ on the earth. “Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?” 1 Corinthians 6:2 and 3

The Lord Jesus also gave a promise to everyone who has forsaken, houses, lands, family, and friends for the cause of Christ. One of these rewards is to reign with the Lord Jesus in some other country during the Millennium, judging angels, and other aspects of judging in Millennium.

In our capacity of ruling judges in the various countries of the world during the Millennium, we will judge the world and angels. Wow! What a blessing!

When the Lord Jesus said that we would receive a hundredfold inheritance He meant exactly that.

Rosie,

I do hope that this lesson was a blessing to you.

God bless.

Alan

Edited by Alan
preseume to presume knot to not

• Members

Rosie,

I am very happy to hear that you liked the study. I double-checked the link and it works ok with me. I am not sure why the link does not work with you. Maybe one of us should ask a moderator. Let me know if you want me to ask.

No Nicolaitans,

I am glad that you liked the study.

Alan

• Members

I checked your personal profile earlier; according to your profile you should be able to access the study. I think you, or me, should ask the support desk for one of the moderators to look into the problem.

• Moderators

To the best of my knowledge, the mods cannot help you on this. Bro. Matt needs to look into it. Now, if there is a moderator who has access to the necessary controls, they are encouraged to make their name know so we know to flood with requests! :D